Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Media from AAF or XML sequences doesn't reconect.

Media from AAF or XML sequences doesn't reconect. 4 years, 7 months ago #97691

• samuelsantos
  • Junior Boarder
  • 4 years, 7 months ago
I received a XML and an AAF file from a co-worker, and the media files as well.

I imported the XML to Lightworks and every media was Offline, like I was expecting. So I imported all the media files to a different bin and did try the "Find clips to fill the edit" and it doesn't work. I receive a "some events fail to fill" error and nothing happens.

"Relink missing media" is grey and before any question: all files are properly named (I checked, a lot of times).

I did some tests and "Clips to fill the edit" works well when everythings is do by the Lightworks (like convert on import and replace to original full quality).

I can't figure out what's happening. There is any reason why LightWorks can't handle this?

Re: Media from AAF or XML sequences doesn't reconect. 4 years, 6 months ago #98413

• Cookiecutter
  • Administrator
    Pro User
  • Administrator
  • 4 years, 6 months ago
Hi samuelsantos,

When you import an XML or AAF into Lightworks and the media paths contained in the XML/AAF are not available, Lightworks will create empty dummy shots that refer to the media in the XML/AAF. These are not link files though and as such, cannot be relinked, they are just empty dummy shots. You can of course import all the media separately and then use the "Find clips to fill edit" feature.

If you place the XML/AAF in the same folder as all the media, Lightworks will default to using the media located in the same folder as the XML/AAF and import and link to it. This is working in the 12.0.2 release but further improvements to this function have been included in the latest Release Candidate (RC4) available on the Downloads page.
Last Edit: 4 years, 6 months ago by Cookiecutter.

Re: Media from AAF or XML sequences doesn't reconect. 4 years, 6 months ago #98551

• samuelsantos
  • Junior Boarder
  • 4 years, 6 months ago
Hi Cookiecutter,

There's something weird happening, because Lightworks does not link media automatically and with the command "Find > Clips to fill edit", it find only one (1) clip on my whole timeline.

I can manually replace clip by clip, once I have data in the timeline (clip names and timecode).

Probably is something with my clips. But what doesn't make any sense, other NLEs works fine with this same file (sometimes just a "reconnect media offline" is required).

It's ok if Lightworks didn't find the clips it create empty shots, but should exist a easy way to reconnect... You know, to me does not make any sense they call something "Media Offline" and not allow me to reconnect, to make it "online".

Re: Media from AAF or XML sequences doesn't reconect. 3 years, 11 months ago #110542

• ivan1071
  • Pro User
  • Senior Boarder
  • 3 years, 11 months ago
samuelsantos wrote:
Hi Cookiecutter,

It's ok if Lightworks didn't find the clips it create empty shots, but should exist a easy way to reconnect... You know, to me does not make any sense they call something "Media Offline" and not allow me to reconnect, to make it "online".

I agree with samuelsantos, regarding the obvious need to have enabled the "relink missing media" option even on aaf imported projects,

it's an issue. in my opinion this is an issue, not a rule. If avid rules for aaf (the ones you are following as far as i know) is having all the clips on the same directory of aaf project, this should not be a limitation allowing relink rules, once imported inside lightworks.

Anyone of us stores and organizes footage inside subfolders for various matters... importing ALL the clips inside LW because the only way to reconnect on an aaf is "find clips to fill edit" is probably the most relevant limitation in practical use of LW

Re: Media from AAF or XML sequences doesn't reconect. 4 months ago #206768

• MYClick1
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 4 months ago
Is there still no easy way to reconnect imported AAF/XML etc missing clips?

Re: Media from AAF or XML sequences doesn't reconect. 4 months ago #206781

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 months ago
Hello,

The discussion is over four years old and refers to early V12. There have been some improvements since then, but I think this still applies:

Cookiecutter wrote:
If you place the XML/AAF in the same folder as all the media, Lightworks will default to using the media located in the same folder as the XML/AAF and import and link to it.

What do you use, XML or AAF? What application is it created with?

After importing into Lightworks, was the material ever linked properly?
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 4 months ago by hugly.

Re: Media from AAF or XML sequences doesn't reconect. 4 months ago #206796

• ivan1071
  • Pro User
  • Senior Boarder
  • 4 months ago
yes, i can confirm there's still some not-flawless relink process. Actually the option "thorough" in AAF import options it's not flexible (or deep) enough to search thru subfolders. i found some serious trouble in relinking if several folders of subfolders are present.

Re: Media from AAF or XML sequences doesn't reconect. 4 months ago #206800

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 months ago
Hello,

As far as I know, the 'AAF/XML Options' from 'Import Commands' affect the search on AAF/XML import only, not 'Media.Relink' or 'Media./Repair'. It might well be that you've encountered some issue related to Relink/Repair in general.

Could you post an example of a folder structure which fails to be re-linked/repaired properly?
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 4 months ago by hugly.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.33 seconds
Scroll To Top