Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

TOPIC: [SOLVED] Missing Media

[SOLVED] Missing Media 4 years, 8 months ago #79715

So after updating to Lightworks 12 today looking back at older projects that were edited in Lightworks 11.5, there is no no video and it simply says 'media offline'. The projects aren't that old and I haven't moved the files where the footage was kept.

I tried right-clicking on a clip to select the 'relink missing media' but it's greyed out. So, how do I fix this and link all the media back up?
Last Edit: 4 years, 8 months ago by shaunthesheep.

Re: Missing Media 4 years, 8 months ago #79776

• hallpeter
  • Junior Boarder
  • 4 years, 8 months ago
Try starting Lightworks as administrator. That fixed it for me. Though I can now no longer hear my audio-only tracks, which probably means I'm going to have to start editing my project from scratch anyway.

Pete

Re: Missing Media 4 years, 8 months ago #79801

• Mike_Pearce
  • Pro User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 4 years, 8 months ago
Same issue here after upgrading to v.12 yesterday. The project was created in v. 11.5.2 and edited it again in v.12 after install yesterday with no problems - however this morning I receive the Missing Media error message and the greyed out relink option.

The original media is on my hard drive (C:) and hasn't been moved. Very frustrating. Any suggestions?
Last Edit: 4 years, 8 months ago by Mike_Pearce. Reason: Add more info.

Re: Missing Media 4 years, 8 months ago #79806

• Cookiecutter
  • Administrator
    Pro User
  • Administrator
  • 4 years, 8 months ago
hallpeter wrote:
Try starting Lightworks as administrator. That fixed it for me. Though I can now no longer hear my audio-only tracks, which probably means I'm going to have to start editing my project from scratch anyway.

Pete

Please can you open the defnetdrive.txt (which can be found here: C:\Users\Public\Documents\Lightworks\Projects) and show us which media locations are written in it?

Re: Missing Media 4 years, 8 months ago #79817

• Mike_Pearce
  • Pro User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 4 years, 8 months ago
Thank you for your help.

The file reads:

C:\Users\Public\Documents\Lightworks\Media\

I also tried opening LW as an Administrator but that did not work for me.

Thanks

Mike
Last Edit: 4 years, 8 months ago by Mike_Pearce.

Re: Missing Media 4 years, 8 months ago #79838

• hallpeter
  • Junior Boarder
  • 4 years, 8 months ago
Cookiecutter wrote:
hallpeter wrote:

Pete

Please can you open the defnetdrive.txt (which can be found here: C:\Users\Public\Documents\Lightworks\Projects) and show us which media locations are written in it?

The file contains the following three lines:

C:\Users\Public\Documents\Lightworks\Media\
E:\
C:\

Thanks,
Pete

Re: Missing Media 4 years, 8 months ago #79840

• hallpeter
  • Junior Boarder
  • 4 years, 8 months ago
Oooh, I had a little fiddle around out of curiosity, and I've solved it!

Here's what you need to do:

1. Right click on one of the tracks that isn't making any noise.
2. Choose "Show filecard" in the "Source Clip" section
3. In the "Media Location" field, click on the value. This will open up Windows Explorer with a file already highlighted.
4. Copy that file into C:\Users\Public\Documents\Lightworks\Media\Sound
5. Bingo!

Thanks for the nudge, Cookiecutter. Definitely pushed me in the right direction!

Pete

Re: Missing Media 4 years, 8 months ago #79844

Mike_Pearce and me both seem to be having the same problem, which opening as an admin isn't helping. There still isn't any video when the files haven't moved anywhere. (Or audio on the audio-only tracks either.) Is there any solution to that?

Pete's soloution doesn't work for the video. There is no value in the 'media location' field and clicking in the blank box doesn't do anything either.

Re: Missing Media 4 years, 8 months ago #79876

• hixpix
  • Pro User
  • Expert Boarder
  • 4 years, 8 months ago
Hi,

By way of sharing problems I have exactly the same problem and have a dialogue open with Simon from LWKS on the link below:

www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=20&id=79663&Itemid=81#79873
Regards,

David

i7-7700T 2.90GHz, 8GB RAM Windows 10 64-Bit, LWKS Pro v12.6, Boris FX v10.0 64-Bit, Boris Graffiti v6.0 64-Bit.

Re: Missing Media 4 years, 8 months ago #80003

• hixpix
  • Pro User
  • Expert Boarder
  • 4 years, 8 months ago
Hi

Has anybody got any further with this. I spent till 1:30 on Friday night not getting very far - very frustrating!

I noted that new test projects I created in v12.0 placed .MXF files in the Media\Material Folder. Therefore I looked for all my previous work's .mxf files, but could not find any. I am really begiining to think I have lost a lot of projects.

Please share any progress.

Thanks!
Regards,

David

i7-7700T 2.90GHz, 8GB RAM Windows 10 64-Bit, LWKS Pro v12.6, Boris FX v10.0 64-Bit, Boris Graffiti v6.0 64-Bit.

Re: Missing Media 4 years, 8 months ago #80004

Sadly, I don't have any answers but I would like to add my voice to this. It is very frustrating and I hope someone finds a fix for this.

Re: Missing Media 4 years, 8 months ago #80005

Hi,

I just added this post:

www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=9&id=80002&Itemid=81

about how I got rid of the Media Offline message by adding C: to the media locations.

I would have posted that solution in this thread, but I ran into other issues immediately after that, that were broader than this post.

Best regards,

Peter
Lightworks Pro License
Lenovo ThinkPad T510
Windows 7 Professional, 64 bit
Intel i5 CPU, 2.40 GHz
8 Gigs of RAM
Dedicated NVidia Graphics Card
=============================
significatojournal.com
Portland, Maine, EST

Re: Missing Media 4 years, 8 months ago #80006

I can't seem to add C: to the media locations box in LW as it's just empty and won't let me type anything in it.

I was right clicking on a clip in the timeline and showing the filecard to get to that. Was that the right way to do it?

Also, even if I could do it, do you think I would run into the same issues as you did after doing it yourself?

Re: Missing Media 4 years, 8 months ago #80007

Hi,

In LW, open a project, and then click on the Project Name on the top left, and then click on the Media tab, and then click on Add.

That opens a File Manager dialogue called "Add Media Folder Location."

Click on the drop down arrow that says "Places", and select the C: drive.

Click Okay and you're done.

In terms of the other issues I had: I have no idea.

I think that v12 has some great features, but it's obviously buggy.
I should have waited until v12.1, which is what I usually do.

sigh

EDIT: Oct. 5th: I take back my statement above that LW is 'obviously buggy'. In my other post, about media showing as black, in v12, it turned out that a codec was not installed properly. I suppose v12 could have trashed that codec, but it's more likely that it was broken before I upgraded to v12, and I just didn't notice the broken codec, and broken clips.

I do think that the v12 version should have included the C: drive as a secondary (old) media location, however, in order to correctly pull in media from Material and Sound.

But... here's to LightWorks and Editshare!

Peter
Lightworks Pro License
Lenovo ThinkPad T510
Windows 7 Professional, 64 bit
Intel i5 CPU, 2.40 GHz
8 Gigs of RAM
Dedicated NVidia Graphics Card
=============================
significatojournal.com
Portland, Maine, EST
Last Edit: 4 years, 8 months ago by peterfalkenbergbrown.

Re: Missing Media 4 years, 8 months ago #80009

Thanks for sticking with me peterfalkenbergbrown that sorted it for me. I've don't seem to have any issues either. Except one that hallpeter had where an the audio-only tracks for a project don't play any sound. I tried his fix which didn't seem to work for me.

But on other projects I don't have that problem. It only seems to be on one project.

At least I have all my projects back so thanks for that.

Update: hallpeter's fix actually did work for my audio. It seems I had to exit and re-start up LW for it to take effect. Also, the my projects only seem to work if I run LW as admin when I start it. Otherwise if I start it normally all the projects have 'media offline' again.
Last Edit: 4 years, 8 months ago by SubspaceCrocodiles.
Time to create page: 0.40 seconds
Scroll To Top