Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: is it possible to move the material/sound files for a particular project?

is it possible to move the material/sound files for a particular project? 1 month ago #225546

• og1char
  • Pro User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 month ago
Hi,

I have a number of projects, where I have used the default media location (C drive in windows). I am now specifying the media location for each new project and putting it with with the source media, so it's all on one physical disk and transportable.

I want to sort my old projects in the same way.
Is there a way within LWKS to move a projects material/sound files from the default location to a new media location? I've seen how to do it manually using the cookies but a drag and drop would be a lot easier.

Idea is for each project to have a folder structure like:
Project name
- <name>_LWKS_Media
- source video
- source audio
- converted sources
- exports
- extra-stuff

This means I end up with many media locations defined in lwks. Are there any drawbacks to that?
Or is there a better way of having all project data under one parent folder?

Many thanks

Re: is it possible to move the material/sound files for a particular project? 1 month ago #225555

• schrauber
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 month ago
You can create additional media locations.

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

When importing, you must pay attention to the import settings so that the files are saved where you want them to be.

To move the files automatically created by Lightworks during import between different media locations:
For example, in the clip filter of your project you can right-click Media > Move > [... List of these media locations ...] .

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Do not confuse this with moving the items to another project!

Whether "Move" is displayed depends on where your mouse is positioned and the selected clips. Highlighting a single clip activates this feature only if you right-click in the empty area of the bin.
Avoid having duplicate files in multiple enabled media locations. Lightworks will scan all the media locations enabled in Lightworks, and duplicates may cause unexpected behavior.

Note that this "Move" feature does not move the original files (the files in the location you imported them from).
Only files created by Lightworks itself are moved for media management. By default, your original files are not included in the Material/Sound folder. If you have imported media with the default "Create Link" option, this will only affect tiny link files, and proxies if created.
Or did you manually copy something into this folder?

og1char wrote:

Idea is for each project to have a folder structure like:
Project name
- <name>_LWKS_Media
- source video
- source audio
- converted sources
- exports
- extra-stuff

There you could create your additional (initially empty) "Media" folder (or other name). In Lightworks you can set this folder as an additional media location, and Lightworks will automatically create the Material & Sound folder there.
Whether so many media locations managed by Lightworks are useful in your case is another question. I think if additional Lightworks managed media locations are created, then one per drive is more common.

Or do you want to move the original files that you used during the import into these folders ?:
og1char wrote:

- source video
- source audio
- converted sources
Mainly automatically translated
--------------------------------------------
Software: Lightworks 2020.1.1; || Windows 10 Home 1909, 64 Bit
Hardware: Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz); || RAM: 8 GB; || Intel HD Graphics 4600 (can use max. 2 GB of shared RAM)
Last Edit: 1 month ago by schrauber.

Re: is it possible to move the material/sound files for a particular project? 1 month ago #225643

• og1char
  • Pro User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 month ago
That's great Schrauber, thank you.

It is the "right click->Move" media locations that I want to move.
I have the original files on an external SSD and they'll stay there.

A single media folder location on each disk sounds like a good idea and definitely easier to manage.
I need to understand backups a bit more before I decide. (I'm trying to avoid having to proxy 8 hour 4k video files again if I archive a project and then restore it to work on it again)

Re: is it possible to move the material/sound files for a particular project? 1 month ago #225648

• schrauber
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 month ago
og1char wrote:
I have the original files on an external SSD and they'll stay there.

Imported as "Createt Link"?
So that's where you want to create the new media location for Lightworks?

og1char wrote:
(I'm trying to avoid having to proxy 8 hour 4k video files again if I archive a project and then restore it to work on it again)

As I have observed so far, proxies are stored in the same Lightworks media location as the files created during the import and should be moved automatically with the move action. It is important that you define the desired media location before import. From 6:43: youtu.be/DSnNLdHx3Yk?t=403

However, if you have the Lightworks "Media location" on the same drive as the original media, and you have imported it correctly, and you want to move the external drive between computers, then you might only need a tiny backup without media, because they are all on the same drive anyway (backup without media).

As far as I know, as a Pro user you also have the possibility to store your project folders on the external drive, so that backups for transfer purposes might become completely unnecessary?
But maybe that would have disadvantages? As a free user I am not familiar with Pro functionalities.

But for security archiving to protect against data loss, additional archives can be important, with or without media, depending on whether you have backed up the media elsewhere. When restoring archives with media (especially if they contain linked media), some details should be considered.
Mainly automatically translated
--------------------------------------------
Software: Lightworks 2020.1.1; || Windows 10 Home 1909, 64 Bit
Hardware: Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz); || RAM: 8 GB; || Intel HD Graphics 4600 (can use max. 2 GB of shared RAM)
Last Edit: 1 month ago by schrauber.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.37 seconds
Scroll To Top