Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Keeping sequence archives.

Keeping sequence archives. 1 month ago #221352

• Jpaulbiss
  • Edu User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 month ago
Before I do anything stupid I thought I should check with the pros.

I looking to cut down on the amount of disk space a project uses.

For importing I use create link. Some times transcode.

When I work on a sequence it will be archived with include local and linked media, updated as changes happen. At the end of an editing session the project is archive / updated with include local and linked media.

When a project is finished is it sufficient to keep just the project archive?
HP Elitebook 840, 2xDell U2312HM, UbuntuStudio 20.04 LTS, Lightworks Keyboard, Shuttle Pro 2 which works sometimes

Re: Keeping sequence archives. 1 month ago #221354

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 month ago
I only use Lightworks as a hobby, but my first question would be whether you want to back up the linked media in the Lightworks archive, or if you have already backed up your linked media from loss in some other way?

Also, since Lightworks 2020.1 it is possible to replace transcoded media with the original linked media, and later, when you need transcoded media again for quick editing, you can recreate it.

Depending on what exactly you want, your archive can be a few MB small, or hundreds of GB large.
Mainly automatically translated
--------------------------------------------
Software: Lightworks 2020.1; || Windows 10, 64 Bit
Hardware: Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz); || shared RAM: 8 GB; || Intel HD Graphics 4600 (can use max. 2 GB of shared RAM)
Last Edit: 1 month ago by schrauber.

Re: Keeping sequence archives. 1 month ago #221357

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 month ago
Jpaulbiss wrote:
.. When I work on a sequence it will be archived with include local and linked media, updated as changes happen. At the end of an editing session the project is archive / updated with include local and linked media.

When a project is finished is it sufficient to keep just the project archive?

So you have a sequence archive and additionally a project archive, both with all media?

If the backup requirements for your project do not require multiple backups on different volumes, the sequence archive is unnecessary.

If I want to archive different editing stages of my project, I use project backups without media for these additional backups.
Mainly automatically translated
--------------------------------------------
Software: Lightworks 2020.1; || Windows 10, 64 Bit
Hardware: Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz); || shared RAM: 8 GB; || Intel HD Graphics 4600 (can use max. 2 GB of shared RAM)

Re: Keeping sequence archives. 1 month ago #221367

• Jpaulbiss
  • Edu User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 month ago
I think I just have angst for that dreaded "Media offline" warning.
HP Elitebook 840, 2xDell U2312HM, UbuntuStudio 20.04 LTS, Lightworks Keyboard, Shuttle Pro 2 which works sometimes

Re: Keeping sequence archives. 1 month ago #221368

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 month ago
The golden rule with any backup, created with Lightworks or whatever else: Never trust a backup which you haven't fully restored at least once.

The best way to do this with Lightworks backups including all media is to restore it on a second machine with no access to the original media locations of the local and linked media.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: Keeping sequence archives. 1 month ago #221429

• Jpaulbiss
  • Edu User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 month ago
hugly wrote:
The golden rule with any backup, created with Lightworks or whatever else: Never trust a backup which you haven't fully restored at least once.

The best way to do this with Lightworks backups including all media is to restore it on a second machine with no access to the original media locations of the local and linked media.

I think that is included in Murphy's Law. That guy was an optimums

Re: Keeping sequence archives. 3 weeks, 4 days ago #221815

• edWD7
  • Expert Boarder
  • 3 weeks, 4 days ago
_ an subject to keep in mind _
= Dell Precision T3500
Processor: 1x Xeon Quad Core @ 2.66 GHz
Memory: 4 GB
HDD: 160 GB - WD Velociraptor 10K RPM
Optical: DVDRW
Video: Nvidia Quadro FX 1800 _ 768 MB
_Lightworks 14.5