• Page:

TOPIC: Re-link clips after re-import

Re-link clips after re-import 2 weeks ago #214478

• timzett
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 weeks ago
I have a small issue, no big deal actually but still:
Somehow it happened that some clips in my project got lost - not in the file system but just from the content library of the project.
The result is that now I have grey gaps in the timeline where these clips used to be, but I cannot relink them since they are not part of the project anymore.

Now what I did was to re-import those 4 clips. I guess there is no other procedure than manually re-adding them to the timeline, with the challenge that effects, transitions, cue- and cut points etc. for these clips have to be recreated manually again as well.
Am I right, or is there any lifesaver I overlooked?
Lwks x64 Beta 2020.1 revision 120537, pro license, on Windows 10

HARDWARE:
.Intel Core i7-4710HQ Quad-core 2,50 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 SDRAM
.GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M with 4 GB RAM
.Sound: Onboard (Realtek)
.Disks: 250 GB SSD internal (OS/programs), 1 TB SATA internal for source footage

CAMs: Sony PXW-X70, NEX-5n, Xiaomi Yi 1080p
Last Edit: 2 weeks ago by timzett.

Re: Re-link clips after re-import 2 weeks ago #214482

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 weeks ago
Hi,

V14.5 has a function to restore deleted clips.

In the project browser right-click on the tile of the project and select 'Restore item(s) from backups..'. Switch to 'Deteleted', select the deleted clips and click 'Restore'. After entering the project, the colour of the missing clips in the timeline should have changed, but the clips may show offline, relinking should be possible.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: Re-link clips after re-import 2 weeks ago #214486

• timzett
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 weeks ago
There I have the problem that I have lots of clips with the same name, and the vanished ones are part of those...
Can I somehow match the cookie ID from the Deleted list with the grey clip-zombies in the timeline?

Guess a still image same as we have it in the timeline meanwhile would be useful, but technically quite difficult to implement...

HARDWARE:
.Disks: 250 GB SSD internal (OS/programs), 1 TB SATA internal for source footage

Re: Re-link clips after re-import 2 weeks ago #214490

• timzett
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 weeks ago
Well I did it my way

Reimported clips inserted into the timeline, re-applied FX, deleted grey gaps, reapplied transitions and re-changed the lengths.

With a handful of clips no problem, and for the other cases, hopefully don't have duplicate clip names in your content library

HARDWARE:

Last Edit: 2 weeks ago by timzett.

Re: Re-link clips after re-import 1 week, 6 days ago #214491

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 week, 6 days ago
Why so complicated?
I would have simply restored all potential clips, and then deleted the unnecessary ones.
But the very first step would have been a project backup. (before restoring, and otherwise always regularly and frequently).

From my current project I temporarily collected 50 backups without media + at least one with media. When the project is finished, I will of course delete most of the backups. But there is no hurry, because 40 backups of them (without media) are compressed in a 7-Zip archive as a block, which is only 50 MB in size.
Mainly automatically translated
--------------------------------------------
Software: Lightworks 2020.1 & 14.5; || Windows 10, 64 Bit
Hardware: Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz); || shared RAM: 8 GB; || Intel HD Graphics 4600 (can use max. 2 GB of shared RAM)

Re: Re-link clips after re-import 1 week, 6 days ago #214521

• timzett
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 week, 6 days ago
The thing was: I didn't work on this project for at least year, maybe even longer. Hence I didn't know when the clips vanished.
Consequently, I didn't know which project backup I should use without loss of work.

Regarding the clips-only import of all suspects and deletion of obsolete ones later, wouldn't it be difficult to sort them out once they are back in both the content library and the timeline?

HARDWARE:

Last Edit: 1 week, 6 days ago by timzett.

Re: Re-link clips after re-import 1 week, 6 days ago #214545

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 week, 6 days ago
timzett wrote:
.. wouldn't it be difficult to sort them out once they are back in both the content library and the timeline?

In the timeline, only white offline segments become online again.
This is just one consequence of the Timeline getting access to the clip item in the project content again. The timeline editing steps do not change (the sequence file remains unchanged).
Segments that you deleted earlier will not add to the Sequence when you restore the corresponding clip element. (Do not confuse this with restoring sequences).

Recovered clip items appear in the Clip Filter, but not in the bins you previously dropped them into. (this is different with a project backup).
Images, Prints, Syncs are restored in the associated filters.

schrauber wrote:
.. I would have simply restored all potential clips, and then deleted the unnecessary ones..

Actually, you don't need to delete anything. Only if you want to have a little more clarity in your clip filter, but for sorting there are also the Bins.

timzett wrote:
I didn't work on this project for at least year, maybe even longer..
Then I'm not sure if item recovery would have been possible without manual backups (depending on which Lightworks version deleted these clip items, or if incompatibilities etc. caused this problem).
If the old segments were mp3 audio, Syncs or even Prints, it might be even more critical).
Mainly automatically translated
--------------------------------------------
Software: Lightworks 2020.1 & 14.5; || Windows 10, 64 Bit
Hardware: Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz); || shared RAM: 8 GB; || Intel HD Graphics 4600 (can use max. 2 GB of shared RAM)
Last Edit: 1 week, 6 days ago by schrauber.

Re: Re-link clips after re-import 1 week, 6 days ago #214549

• timzett
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 week, 6 days ago
I agree: No (manual) backup - then hickup

HARDWARE:

Last Edit: 1 week, 6 days ago by timzett.

Re: Re-link clips after re-import 1 week, 6 days ago #214554

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 week, 6 days ago
timzett wrote:
Can I somehow match the cookie ID from the Deleted list with the grey clip-zombies in the timeline?

The ed5-file of the sequence contains the information, but it contains binary data, difficult to read without knowing the data structure.

With a Pro license you can export a Film Cutting List. This creates a cutting database (.cdb) which is human readable. There you'll find the cookies of the deleted clips. Basically, below the header, each line shows an editing decision. For missing clips, instead of the file name, they show "__NOLOG".
Last Edit: 1 week, 6 days ago by hugly.

Re: Re-link clips after re-import 1 week, 6 days ago #214557

• timzett
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 week, 6 days ago
Cool - thanks for the hint.
Hopefully next time I still remember this

HARDWARE:

Re: Re-link clips after re-import 1 week, 6 days ago #214559

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 week, 6 days ago
Remembering it in case of emergency is in fact the biggest problem. The procedure is a good instance of the Germany saying "Von hinten durch die Brust ins Auge".

All that would be much easier to accomplish if the function 'Media.Repair' executed on a sequence would include restoring deleted clips. The function under Sequence Commands is still greyed out so there's hope for some future release. Implementing this shouldn't be rocket science. Then, we would say "Läuft wie geschmiert".

Re: Re-link clips after re-import 1 week, 6 days ago #214566

• timzett
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 week, 6 days ago
Fully agreed: I still knew which the missing clips were and I even could add them back but...

HARDWARE:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.35 seconds
Scroll To Top