• 2 months, 2 weeks ago
Logs attached

Re: Unable to Import Video Files 2 months, 2 weeks ago #210726

• Lightman505!
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 2 months, 2 weeks ago
Sorry, first attempt was a 7zip file which was not allowed
Attachments:
  • Attachment This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Re: Unable to Import Video Files 2 months, 2 weeks ago #210729

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months, 2 weeks ago
Thanks.

It seems as if you're using the local OneDrive folder to store source material.

I don't think that this is the cause of your initial problem, but dynamically synchronized folders like those created and used by e.g. OneDrive, iCloud, DropBox, GoogleDrive and similar can be source of problems, because the managing services may change access rights silently all of a sudden. It might even happen that you import a file which isn't fully updated and changes its content after import with unpredictable results.

I'd suggest moving files out of this type of folders to a regular, not dynamically synchronized folders on the same device, prior to importing in into Lightworks, to stay away from trouble.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 2 months, 2 weeks ago by hugly.

Re: Unable to Import Video Files 2 months, 2 weeks ago #210732

• Lightman505!
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 2 months, 2 weeks ago
Thanks for the suggestion.

I noticed, in the Error Log:

"Loading plugin : LwWinConsole ------
1.014 : failed to open console driver \.LWCon"

Is this an issue that I need to fix?

Re: Unable to Import Video Files 2 months, 2 weeks ago #210733

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 2 months, 2 weeks ago
Not unless you have a Lightworks console. That just says that it couldn't initialise it. If you don't have one that's expected behaviour.
Last Edit: 2 months, 2 weeks ago by jwrl.

Re: Unable to Import Video Files 2 months, 2 weeks ago #210734

• Lightman505!
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 2 months, 2 weeks ago
OK, thanks.

Re: Unable to Import Video Files 2 months, 2 weeks ago #210735

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months, 2 weeks ago
Beside of potential trouble with your media location, I think you'll encounter problems with some of the media formats you've have imported, asf, wmv, maybe also mpg. You can convert such media to well supported formats prior to import. The most frequently recommended free converters on this forum are Handbrake, Eyeframe Converter, and FFmpeg. All need appropriate settings to create well editable formats. Here you'll find suitable settings for Handbrake, just in case:

www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=23&id=166802&Itemid=81#209009

Re: Unable to Import Video Files 2 months, 2 weeks ago #210736

• Lightman505!
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 2 months, 2 weeks ago
I used DivX to convert to mp4. Should I stay with DivX or go with one of your suggested alternatives?

Re: Unable to Import Video Files 2 months, 2 weeks ago #210737

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months, 2 weeks ago
I haven't used DivX and XviD encoders for over a decade, back in times where h.263 was a wide spread codec. I don't know anything about the current settings and codec options. I would think it creates a format optimized for streaming and playback on regular media players, not for video editing.

If you convert anyway, I'd suggest using one of the mentioned converters. Which one to use depends mainly on your source media, the performance of your computer and your needs. Try Handbrake with 'Production.Standard' settings (see the link above) and compare Eyeframe Converter with settings for 'MPEG2 I-Frame HD'.

www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=6&id=118956&limit=15&limitstart=15&Itemid=81#119003

You'll see that MPEG2 I-Frame HD performs much better when editing than the format created with Handbrake (AVC/AAC.mp4), but the files are significantly larger. If you can live with the size, stay with Eyeframe Converter. If you prefer the smaller file sizes with lower performance, you can use internal proxies to increase performance, if necessary, but that costs additional time for proxy creation.

Let us know which way you prefer to go, after your tests.

Re: Unable to Import Video Files 2 months, 2 weeks ago #210750

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months, 2 weeks ago
Lightman505!,

The very fist log entry shows a crash without 'error.log', the next already imported media. What actions did you take to fix the missing 'Lightworks\Media' folder and the perhaps missing entry in 'Media.Locations', in order to be able to import media?

Re: Unable to Import Video Files 2 months, 2 weeks ago #210801

• Lightman505!
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 2 months, 2 weeks ago
The first attempted installation of the program resulted in a few Controlled Folder Access violations, which were dealt with. But I was unable to import media, as I mentioned in my original post. I then uninstalled the program and all its folders and reinstalled. But I noticed that the media folder was still not present(I did not attempt to import files), so I did another reinstall/uninstall and still no Media folder. I decided to try to import files anyway and was successful. I looked at the folder tree and the Media folder was now present (along with its two subfolders, of course). So, it is apparent that the Media folder is created only at the time one imports files into Lightworks and not upon the installation of the program.

Re: Unable to Import Video Files 2 months, 2 weeks ago #210804

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months, 2 weeks ago
Thanks.

Let's assume, just for a moment, that the Media folder isn't created when first importing media, but on the first successful startup (i.e. the first start without a crash) would that make sense as well, based on your observations?

Re: Unable to Import Video Files 2 months, 2 weeks ago #210806

• Lightman505!
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 2 months, 2 weeks ago
Could be, but I just can't remember the sequence - whether I launched the program and looked at the folder tree, or installed the program and looked at the media tree before launching the program. This should be easy to verify, now that we know the possible scenarios. I just don't want to do another re-installation.

Re: Unable to Import Video Files 2 months, 2 weeks ago #210811

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months, 2 weeks ago
Oh no, there's no need for further actions from you side, the information you've provided is very valuable and a great step to a better understanding of possible causes of missing media locations after first installation.

Thanks a lot.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.42 seconds
Scroll To Top