Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Moving projects from one computer to another?

Moving projects from one computer to another? 1 week, 6 days ago #204411

• Tam_Troll
  • Expert Boarder
  • 1 week, 6 days ago
Hope this is the right subforum to put this in, and that it's okay to make a new thread for it. looked around and most mentions of moving projects were onto external harddrives, which i'm not quite sure would be the same process or not.

long story short, I've got a new computer that i need to move all my files onto eventually. is there any reliable way to transfer in-progress lightworks projects from my current computer to the new one? any files i can just copy-paste over, that kind of thing?

Re: Moving projects from one computer to another? 1 week, 6 days ago #204412

• kalimerox
  • Pro User
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 week, 6 days ago
there are various ways, but I would say the most straight forward would be creating full backups of each project and restore them on your new computer.

Re: Moving projects from one computer to another? 1 week, 6 days ago #204416

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 week, 6 days ago
Tam_Troll wrote:
long story short, I've got a new computer that i need to move all my files onto eventually.
Does this mean that you only use one drive / hard drive partition for Lightworks where all your media is? In this case you can also copy your projects without project backups (provided you have also saved your linked media well structured).

When restoring from project backups containing media, previously linked media will often be restored as local media. This depends on the workflow. Does the difference matter to you? Do you know the differences?

User effects, effect templates, macros, etc. are not included in the backup. This would have to be copied manually if necessary.
Mainly automatically translated
--------------------------------------------
Windows 10, 64 Bit
Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz) ; Intel HD Graphics 4600
Last Edit: 1 week, 6 days ago by schrauber.

Re: Moving projects from one computer to another? 1 week, 6 days ago #204425

• Tam_Troll
  • Expert Boarder
  • 1 week, 6 days ago
Alright, would be the "Projects" folder under C > Users > public > documents > lightworks then? or could i just copy the entire Lightworks folder over to the new computer?

Re: Moving projects from one computer to another? 1 week, 6 days ago #204431

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 week, 6 days ago
The project folder is not enough.

If you want to copy manually, there are some details to keep in mind:
If you copy the entire Lightworks folder, you'll still be missing the original media you imported using the standard Create Link import option. If you don't have it on an external drive, you'll need to copy it manually. If you've changed the Lightworks Media Location in the project settings, it gets even more complicated.

The default workflow:
If you use project backups with all media, Lightworks will automatically collect the media from different locations.
Mainly automatically translated
--------------------------------------------
Windows 10, 64 Bit
Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz) ; Intel HD Graphics 4600
Last Edit: 1 week, 6 days ago by schrauber.

Re: Moving projects from one computer to another? 1 week, 6 days ago #204442

• Tam_Troll
  • Expert Boarder
  • 1 week, 6 days ago
okay, so sounds like the lightworks folder, plus the video and image folders that hold everything? Planning on transfering those over too, so that shouldn't be an issue. Fingers crossed everything goes smoothly then.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.27 seconds
Scroll To Top