Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: how to move a complete project to another hdd?

how to move a complete project to another hdd? 3 months, 1 week ago #201448

• kalimerox
  • Pro User
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
Hi there,

this question is related to the other thread "How do I nest a project on an external HDD?"

www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=9&id=200166&Itemid=81

which I got solved pretty well for my needs!

now I have the following thing I need to do: I have a project on an external drive lets call it DRIVE1 and I need to move it to another external drive DRIVE2

I created the project in the Shared Space and would need to move it completely over to DRIVE2 with all the proxies and original files.

in my project it became a mixture of linked files and some transcoded...

is there a way to achieve this? A way that is different from : make backup , then restore backup to the new drive? problem here is that the project is approx 1.6tb big and with just 1usb3 port and the rest usb2, backing up and restoring would take approximately 30h... while when i could move everything in one step I could do that in 15...

thanks!

Re: how to move a complete project to another hdd? 3 months, 1 week ago #201451

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
Hi kalimerox,

If you find yourself in hole, the first thing to do is stop digging.

I think large projects should start with strict organisation of assets, instead of organizing chaos afterwards.

My suggestion, in this case, use the project backup.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: how to move a complete project to another hdd? 3 months, 1 week ago #201453

• kalimerox
  • Pro User
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
thanks!

ok i ll do that.

thanks for the suggestion of strict organisation, I can tell you: I do. BUT as

editing does depend on the editor, but also on factors like money, directors,

opinions, producers , etc. this regime gets usually interrupted at some point, no matter how good organisation is. so i kind of have to keep diggin

Re: how to move a complete project to another hdd? 3 months, 1 week ago #201455

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
"Order is for Idiots, genius can handle chaos.” – ALBERT EINSTEIN

If you have organized the shared spaces, internal media space and linked media within the shared space, mounting points and machine names set correctly, as discussed in the other thread, you shouldn't have problems moving the whole folder structure because it should contain all project metadata linked and local media (except of user effects and macros). The question is, does it?

Re: how to move a complete project to another hdd? 3 months, 1 week ago #201458

• kalimerox
  • Pro User
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
yes I did set all that up correctly. and super happy with my new workflow between machines...

I know i can move all the media within lightworks by making a bin of all media and move that to another hdd. but how would I transfer the actual project file as well to DRIVE 2? so that when i disconnect DRIVE1 I still have my project ready to open?

Re: how to move a complete project to another hdd? 3 months, 1 week ago #201460

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
When using a project backup:

If you are using a backup archive with all media, then in the default workflow the restored media will then be all local media (not linked). Would you like that?
Also note that Lightworks only restores media where Lightworks has no access to the original path at the time. So if your project backup is on the same drive as your linked media, they may not be restored.

Depending on what you want, it may make sense to create a project backup without linked media, and manually copy the linked media (& relink, if necessary).

If your proxies represent the largest amount of data, would it be worth considering whether a rebuild might be faster?
Mainly automatically translated
--------------------------------------------
Windows 10, 64 Bit
Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz) ; Intel HD Graphics 4600

Re: how to move a complete project to another hdd? 3 months, 1 week ago #201462

• kalimerox
  • Pro User
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
thanks schrauber for the suggestions. what i would do now: backup all to another drive. then disconnect DRIVE1. create a new shared space with drive2, and restore to this drive2.. that at least was my idea....

Re: how to move a complete project to another hdd? 3 months, 1 week ago #201464

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
kalimerox wrote:
yes I did set all that up correctly. and super happy with my new workflow between machines...

I know i can move all the media within lightworks by making a bin of all media and move that to another hdd. but how would I transfer the actual project file as well to DRIVE 2? so that when i disconnect DRIVE1 I still have my project ready to open?

I don't understand your question exactly. Moving bins? That isn't something I've recommended when using shared spaces for 'Lightworks to go'. The project files are within the shared space, same as the internal media space and linked media (both not mandatory, but helpful). That's how one of my shared spaces looks like:

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

'Demos', 'Forum Tests', 'Not Resolved' contain the projects, 'Media' is Lightworks internal media space, and 'Linked' contains linked media. I can move the whole thing physically around, and assign from within Lightworks the new location of the shared space (once), the new internal media Location (once), and relink/repair linked material (for each project) (to avoid sequence locking, the machine names must match).

Are you asking about how to copy a single project including all media out of a shared space or how to duplicate a shared space to a second drive.
Last Edit: 3 months, 1 week ago by hugly.

Re: how to move a complete project to another hdd? 3 months, 1 week ago #201465

• kalimerox
  • Pro User
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
"Are you asking about how to copy a single project including all media out of a shared space"

yes thats it.

the bins: the only way to move media within the project to other destinations is right click on the bin --> media --> move to --> destination , right?

therefore i had the idea: when i can move all the media onto a new dedicated drive, i would just need to move the session file as well and thats it. but i guess that is not the truth...

I started archiving and now restoring to a new drive, I ll let you guys know how it goes...

Re: how to move a complete project to another hdd? 3 months, 1 week ago #201466

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
kalimerox wrote:
"Are you asking about how to copy a single project including all media out of a shared space"

yes thats it.

In this case, you are on the right way:

I started archiving and now restoring to a new drive, I ll let you guys know how it goes...

Please note: Lightworks restores linked media as local copies into its internal media space (if linked media aren't present on their default locations), it doesn't relink in the archive itself. This has an upper limit of clips, due to a bug, and it costs a lot of time and drive space.

Edit: The workaround, if you wish relinking into the archive, hide linked material prior to restoring and relink in the archive afterwards.

Re: how to move a complete project to another hdd? 3 months, 1 week ago #201467

• kalimerox
  • Pro User
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 months, 1 week ago

Please note: Lightworks restore linked media as local copies into its internal media space, it doesn't relink in the archive itself. This has an upper limit of clips, due to a bug, and it costs a lot of time and drive space.

so what i did is: I created a new shared media space on DRIVE2. then i I set the internal media space only to Drive2. then i started restoring into that ...

thanks for that info about the upper limit of clips bug. any idea what number that exact limit is? is it a bug while archiving or while restoring? would it be an option to restore with the beta version..?

Re: how to move a complete project to another hdd? 3 months, 1 week ago #201469

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
It's a bug while restoring with V14.5, I suspect a problem with the content browser. The limit is somewhere between 1500 and 2000 clips and it affects only Fixed layout, as far as I can remember. It might be fixed with V14.6 already, but I don't know.

I've edited my post above, you might have missed it.

The workaround, if you wish relinking into the archive, hide linked material prior to restoring and relink in the archive afterwards.

Re: how to move a complete project to another hdd? 3 months, 1 week ago #201471

• kalimerox
  • Pro User
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
looks like i m under that limit. which is good.

I let this run now for a view hours and keep you posted. thanks as always for the great help
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.36 seconds
Scroll To Top