Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Lightworks default folder

Lightworks default folder 2 months, 1 week ago #194454

• PickerDad
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 2 months, 1 week ago
I'm new to Lightworks, so forgive me if this is obvious.

It seems that by default, Lightworks stores all its project files on the C: drive. Mine is pretty full and Windows is starting to slow down. How do I specify a different location, with lots of room?

Re: Lightworks default folder 2 months, 1 week ago #194466

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 2 months, 1 week ago
Project files are usually a few K in size. They shouldn't take up much room. That's fortunate, because at the moment you can't specify alternate locations.

Re: Lightworks default folder 2 months, 1 week ago #194471

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 2 months, 1 week ago
Regardless of Lightworks, I would upgrade to a larger C drive, things only start to get worse when you get close to it being full.

Re: Lightworks default folder 2 months, 1 week ago #194473

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months, 1 week ago
Samsung M.2 SSD 970 Pro 512 GB is what I run as system drive, very nice device.

Do you know how to create hardlinks on Windows, in particular the objects Microsoft calls 'Junction'?
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: Lightworks default folder 2 months, 1 week ago #194492

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months, 1 week ago
PickerDad wrote:
It seems that by default, Lightworks stores all its project files on the C: drive.

There are several subfolders in this "Lightworks" folder. Maybe the "Projects" folder is less your problem? Depending on your import method, proxy creation, or a lot of mp3 files, the "Media" folder may take up more space. Lightworks can manage multiple media locations on different drives.

Because this is a bit complicated for new users, and wrong settings can lead to problems, it is questionable whether this is worthwhile.

Please check first how much space these folders actually use.
Mainly automatically translated
--------------------------------------------
Windows 10, 64 Bit
Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz) ; Intel HD Graphics 4600
Last Edit: 2 months, 1 week ago by schrauber.

Re: Lightworks default folder 2 months, 1 week ago #194517

• PickerDad
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 2 months, 1 week ago
Thanks very much, schrauber. At ~06:45, he shows how to change the import destination folder. It seems that LW will remember that location for future imports, so that should solve my problem. It's pretty straight-forward.

Thanks also, hugly. I do know how to use Windows LNK files, but they can be a little tricky even if done right, so I will go with the LW-provided solution from schrauber, but I'll hang on to your suggestion as a fall-back option.

Re: Lightworks default folder 2 months, 1 week ago #194518

• PickerDad
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 2 months, 1 week ago
You're right. What I really need to do is replace the computer. It's in the plan for this year. With schrauber's suggestion, I can keep my LWKS projects externally to the PC and avoid migration problems when I upgrade the PC. Thanks.

Re: Lightworks default folder 2 months, 1 week ago #194519

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months, 1 week ago
Bear in mind when migrating: The Media locations contain link files and media (if imported with Copy Local or Transcode). All other assets, in particular project meta data, will stay in the Lightworks folder on 'C:\Users\Public\Documents\Lightworks'.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.29 seconds
Scroll To Top