Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Two sequences with different names keep overwriting each other

Two sequences with different names keep overwriting each other 1 week, 3 days ago #178864

• Markolufc
  • Junior Boarder
  • 1 week, 3 days ago
Ok so when I first got this software and I didn't know how to use it, I set up my projects in a way that wasn't ideal, I had a different project for every sequence. I've since learned that if I'm creating several sequences from the same material it's much easier to do so in a single project, so I'm trying to reorganise my projects by the raw footage I am using.

Unfortunately, every time I try and copy episode 8 into a project named episode 5-12, it keeps saying "Episode 8 already exists" and the overwrites episode 7.

Then when I try and copy episode 7 back in, it says "episode 7 already exists" and overwrites episode 8.

It does this no matter what name my sequences have.

Any suggestions?

Re: Two sequences with different names keep overwriting each other 1 week, 3 days ago #178865

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 week, 3 days ago
Hello,

All objects including sequences in Lightworks are based on unique filenames, so called cookies, the name of the sequence is just metadata. They are created when the object is created, can't be changed, and are removed when the object is deleted. Renaming the sequence doesn't rename the cookie, the object remains the same. This might explain your findings and you should see it when comparing the cookies of the sequences in question.

One additional note: It's extremely dangerous to "copy" sequences between projects because the clips used in sequences aren't physically copied, they are treated as shared data. As soon as you delete one of those shared clips in any of the referring projects linkage to the material is lost and the clip shows Media Offline in all projects.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 1 week, 3 days ago by hugly.

Re: Two sequences with different names keep overwriting each other 1 week, 3 days ago #178871

• Markolufc
  • Junior Boarder
  • 1 week, 3 days ago
Yikes. Any way to fix that?

Re: Two sequences with different names keep overwriting each other 1 week, 3 days ago #178876

• Markolufc
  • Junior Boarder
  • 1 week, 3 days ago
Figured it out. I can delete the entire project safely and the new project that my sequences have been moved into will be safe.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.31 seconds
Scroll To Top