Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Two collabotors on one project, files stored on Network

Two collabotors on one project, files stored on Network 6 months, 3 weeks ago #175444

• Richfilth
  • Pro User
  • Junior Boarder
  • 6 months, 3 weeks ago
In the near future I'm going to be working with another editor on a collaborative project. Most likely that person will make initial cuts, then I'll come in to tweak things and apply FX, then they'll add new material and I'll tweak again etc etc.

All media will be stored on our company's network drive, so sharing shouldn't be too much of an issue, but what about the project itself? Do we have to keep archiving the project and importing it each time the other person needs to make a change, or is there another method?

Basically, I'd like to hear the workflow of anyone who's done this kind of thing before. I've only ever used Lightworks as a solo editor.

Re: Two collabotors on one project, files stored on Network 6 months, 3 weeks ago #175445

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 6 months, 3 weeks ago
Hello,

Lightworks supports shared project spaces on multiple machines with project data and media placed on shared network drives for work groups. All participating instances of Lightworks need to have a Pro license to configure and access shared project spaces properly.

With a single system and network access I can see (and have tested successfully) that there are lock mechanisms and user management to avoid concurring access at the same time to the same sequence by different users.

So far so good, that's the theory.

The last detailed description I found in official user guides about shared project spaces is dated back to version 11.5, thus I can't say if shared project spaces still can be configured and used in a work group environment as described there.

As far as I'm aware of, only one member of this forum has reported about using shared projects in work groups. So, wait and see what information is next to come.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 6 months, 3 weeks ago by hugly.

Re: Two collabotors on one project, files stored on Network 6 months, 2 weeks ago #175771

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 6 months, 2 weeks ago
FWIW

If found a demo on the internet from NAB 2010 which shows project sharing starting at appr. 05:00. It looks different and some objects have been renamed, but basically all other shown features are still there with V14.5, why shouldn't project sharing work?

Re: Two collabotors on one project, files stored on Network 6 months, 2 weeks ago #175780

• lghtwrks
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 6 months, 2 weeks ago
I did not test the latest RC yet.

some probs. I had:

www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=391&id=165055&Itemid=81#165055

s.

Re: Two collabotors on one project, files stored on Network 6 months, 2 weeks ago #175791

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 6 months, 2 weeks ago
For the active recorder it's pretty clear who's the master, what about the rest?

From earlier times I know, concurring access to and automatic update of multiple interactive user interfaces is programmer's nightmare, especially if those interfaces have not been designed exactly for that purpose from the very beginning. Could it be that this is true still today?
Last Edit: 6 months, 2 weeks ago by hugly.

Re: Two collabotors on one project, files stored on Network 6 months ago #177054

• lghtwrks
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 6 months ago
I'll start up 10GBE links tomorrow ...
s.

Re: Two collabotors on one project, files stored on Network 6 months ago #177055

• lghtwrks
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 6 months ago
if it works, say good bye "cloud"
s
Last Edit: 6 months ago by lghtwrks.

Re: Two collabotors on one project, files stored on Network 6 months ago #177200

• lghtwrks
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 6 months ago
afaik, still some troubles...
the edit did not show up on the other side.
same for footage. exiting and reentering still "offline", again, switching to local project and back to the shared space tab brings up the src footage.
rc5

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
Last Edit: 6 months ago by lghtwrks.

Re: Two collabotors on one project, files stored on Network 5 months, 4 weeks ago #177396

• lghtwrks
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 months, 4 weeks ago
so I wouldn't recommend it to use in production.
it's still the best system I used - lwks V10.x

logic:
if it's red, it's _your _record edit (not = locked as in other systems).
it's tally.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tally_light
de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tally

aso.
s.

Re: Two collabotors on one project, files stored on Network 5 months, 4 weeks ago #177397

• lghtwrks
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 months, 4 weeks ago
option X: that even means the actual cut (final or not) COULD be sent out to the internet in real-time.
press "play": see it every where.
s
Last Edit: 5 months, 4 weeks ago by lghtwrks.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.34 seconds
Scroll To Top