Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Backup media missing upon restore

Re: Backup media missing upon restore 1 year, 1 month ago #167458

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year, 1 month ago
If tips are still needed to secure your future work:

I regularly create project backups, because a crash or other errors can also damage one. Personally, I even have multiple backups from the same project but at different times.

khaver wrote:
When you create a backup that is going to be restored to a new user or new computer, you need to at the least include Local Media.
Yes, because even if I only use the "Create Link" option, Lightworks converts mp3 files into .wav files. An archive without Local Media would only restore this audio clip offline.
If my project does not contain any local media, I can still leave this option enabled because it will not increase the archive size. (which does not exist can not be archived).
There may also be other reasons why local media is inadvertently deleted by Lightworks. In this case, an archive with internal media saves me.
I disable the option "local media" only for additional archives (if I have already backed up all local media in another archive).

To gain some experience with backups, you can also create a test project. The media in the test project should be imported there (avoid shared media across projects in these tests).

Make a backup of it, delete the project (but only the test project!) And restore the test project from the backup.
Check if everything has been restored.

In addition to project backups, I also manually backup the Lightworks folders containing personal settings (effect templates, user effects, audio settings, macros, keyboard assignments, etc.),
If there is enough space then even more like the project files, the standard media folder, etc.).
Mainly automatically translated
--------------------------------------------
Windows 10, 64 Bit
Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz) ; Intel HD Graphics 4600
Last Edit: 1 year, 1 month ago by schrauber.

Re: Backup media missing upon restore 3 months, 3 weeks ago #188691

• elgato968
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 3 months, 3 weeks ago
I have somewhat similar problem, but with the images. I.e. after making full project backup with "include local media" checked and restoring the backup to another machine, all the images (PNG files in my case) used in the project are missing. Looks like for some reason the image files are not being included in backup. Fortunately I was able to copy the image files separately.

Re: Backup media missing upon restore 3 months, 3 weeks ago #188692

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 months, 3 weeks ago
Hello,

With V14.5 still, if images are directly linked to Image or Image-Key effects they are not treated as part of the media space and not included in project backups or other archives. When importing images via Local Files (the import tool), the same way as other medial, they should be included in archives, as linked or local media, depending on selected import method.

Does that describe your findings?
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 3 months, 3 weeks ago by hugly.

Re: Backup media missing upon restore 3 months, 3 weeks ago #188727

• elgato968
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 3 months, 3 weeks ago
Yes, right. I've used one of the images as VFX, and to save it I've imported it as a local media. It appears in the restored project as empty black, maybe since it isn't used anywhere in project as the media.

Re: Backup media missing upon restore 3 months, 3 weeks ago #188729

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 months, 3 weeks ago
I don't understand exactly. Did you use the PNG images in Image or Image key effects, linked to their original location and file names?
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: Backup media missing upon restore 1 month, 1 week ago #193004

• elgato968
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 month, 1 week ago
Yes, I have used them as image key effects, linked to their locations. Copying them to the same locations on new machine makes Lightworks "see" them. I got the idea, I think. Thank you!
Time to create page: 0.30 seconds
Scroll To Top