Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Backing up my workspace

Backing up my workspace 4 months, 1 week ago #158593

• Markolufc
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 4 months, 1 week ago
I'm building a new computer, in which I will be using the same SSD that I am currently using. I need to transfer my entire work space to a separate hard drive, which I have already bought and will also be in the new system.

This will also help as I plan to use the new hard drive as a backup/archive of my work.

Re: Backing up my workspace 4 months, 1 week ago #158602

• arniepix
    Pro User
  • 4 months, 1 week ago
Using what OS?
post production is not an afterthought!

Re: Backing up my workspace 4 months, 1 week ago #158606

• lghtwrks
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 months, 1 week ago
as your icon does not have the "pro"-logo, your entire project workspace is the SSD ("I will be using the same SSD") ...
adding the same media drives (as before) does the rest ...
s
Last Edit: 4 months, 1 week ago by lghtwrks.

Re: Backing up my workspace 4 months, 1 week ago #158609

• Markolufc
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 4 months, 1 week ago
I'm going to be formatting the drive in order to reinstall the operating system.

I'm using Windows 10
Last Edit: 4 months, 1 week ago by Markolufc.

Re: Backing up my workspace 4 months, 1 week ago #158610

• lghtwrks
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 months, 1 week ago
there is no prob in the free version with that
s

Re: Backing up my workspace 4 months, 1 week ago #158611

• lghtwrks
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 months, 1 week ago
export & import an archived version ...
s

Re: Backing up my workspace 4 months, 1 week ago #158612

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 months, 1 week ago
lghtwrks wrote:
there is no prob in the free version with that
s

With know-how, it's also no "prob" with pro version, if you know how.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: Backing up my workspace 4 months, 1 week ago #158616

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 months, 1 week ago
Just to put a few more words into the discussion:

There are two ways to do that.

1. Move Project Backups:
Make a backup of each of your projects INCLUDING ALL MEDIA on your old system and restore the projects one by one on the new system.
Please note: Currently, project backups do not include still images used with image key or Image effect. You have to move them manually to identical paths on your new system.

2. Move Folders:
Lightworks has by default one single folder containing metadata and assets related to your projects, including the default Media Location for files imported via Copy Local or Transcode, and for the link files needed for files imported via Create Link. This folder is located on Windows at:
C:\Users\Public\Documents\Lightworks

Save the complete folder and move it to the newly formatted drive to the same location.

If you should have added manually Lightworks Media Locations from "Project.Media.Locations" menu, then save all those folders and move them to identical paths on the new system (if needed you can change location of those folders afterwards).

All media files which have been imported via Create Link must be moved as well. In order to allow Lightworks to find those files automatically on the new machine the complete path for each file must match.

Last, on WIndows there’s a registry key for GUI parameters and some presets.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Lightworks
It's not mandatory to move this key. If it doesn't exist it will be rebuild with default values on the new system.

When migrating from one running system to the another running system I’d use project backups. In your case it might be better to save and move complete folders.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 4 months, 1 week ago by hugly.

Re: Backing up my workspace 4 months, 1 week ago #158704

• Markolufc
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 4 months, 1 week ago
hugly wrote:
If you should have added manually Lightworks Media Locations from "Project.Media.Locations" menu, then save all those folders and move them to identical paths on the new system (if needed you can change location of those folders afterwards).

All media files which have been imported via Create Link must be moved as well. In order to allow Lightworks to find those files automatically on the new machine the complete path for each file must match.

I've been adding my raw video and audio by drag and drop, without exception. Would this be the .lvix files that are alongside all my videos?
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.77 seconds
Scroll To Top