Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Adjust audio levels using the 'white line'

Adjust audio levels using the 'white line' 1 month ago #221418

• kubricksaid
  • Junior Boarder
  • 1 month ago
I find adjusting the audio levels of 'segments' rather awkward. Is there any way to display what decibel level the audio is in any segment without having to fiddle about grabbing the white line with the mouse, then moving it a tiny bit so the dB level displays (you can tell this annoys me right? )

P.S. I can use the main audio mixer fine.

Thanks for any help.

Re: Adjust audio levels using the 'white line' 1 month ago #221419

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 month ago
Hello,

Beside of the audio mixer, which applies to entire tracks, there are two level settings on the timeline: Clip Gain, which applies to segments (the region between two cuts), and Track Sound Level, which is adjusted using audio nodes.

In AUDIO mode of the Fixed layout, the settings of both at playhead position are displayed as dB values far right on the audio tracks. In Flexible layout, the displays are always present, on all timelines, after clicking the 'Advanced button' down right.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: Adjust audio levels using the 'white line' 1 month ago #221422

• kubricksaid
  • Junior Boarder
  • 1 month ago
Thanks, I don't understand this however.

You say "In AUDIO mode of the Fixed layout, the settings of both at playhead position are displayed as dB values far right on the audio tracks."

'Both' means the Clip Gain and Track Sound Level? But where are these values displayed 'to the far right'? You mean in the faders on the mixer panel?

Also, audio nodes are the fiddly wee white squares in a segment?.
Last Edit: 1 month ago by kubricksaid.

Re: Adjust audio levels using the 'white line' 1 month ago #221423

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 1 month ago
Nodes are are the squares in the level line, these apply to each clip.

You can increase the track "height" by dragging up on the area between the timeline and the viewer when a gold line appears. Zooming in on the timeline will also assist.

The levels on the right of the timeline apply to the clip with the playhead on it and the section within a clip can selected with the nodes.

You can also drag the audio levels within a clip up and down with the mouse.

It's something to play around with, because each method interacts differently with the nodes.

Re: Adjust audio levels using the 'white line' 1 month ago #221424

• kubricksaid
  • Junior Boarder
  • 1 month ago
Thanks

"You can increase the track "height" by dragging up on the area between the timeline and the viewer when a gold line appears. Zooming in on the timeline will also assist" This increases the height of all tracks, is that correct? Like a vertical zoom?

When you say "The levels on the right of the timeline" do you mean the bouncing levels in the faders of the mixer section?

"You can also drag the audio levels within a clip up and down with the mouse." Yes, but this is very fiddly, this is what I am trying to find a way around. It would be great if I could hover the mouse over the white line on a clip and be told what dB level it is. The only way I have found to discover the dB level is to make a node, then grab and move it.
Last Edit: 1 month ago by kubricksaid.

Re: Adjust audio levels using the 'white line' 1 month ago #221425

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 1 month ago
Well. it makes the timeline higher.

The numbers at the end of each audio track is what you use. Be aware that there are + and - just to the left of the numbers.

You don't need to make a node to chanje the level, just left button and hold on the level line, dragging the cross up and down/

Re: Adjust audio levels using the 'white line' 1 month ago #221435

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 1 month ago
Please see the attached - it's reasonably self explanatory - the dB level values for track level are at the play-head position and clip gain is altered only for the clip segment under the play-head. Highlighting the values enables numeric entry in both fields.

This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Sliding or otherwise changing the track level value automatically places an audio node at the play-head position.

This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
BETA System
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64BIT
HP Z800 Workstation
Last Edit: 1 month ago by RWAV.

Re: Adjust audio levels using the 'white line' 1 month ago #221476

• kubricksaid
  • Junior Boarder
  • 1 month ago
Thank you so much for these. I do not have these values displayed on my screen. How can I make them display.

Re: Adjust audio levels using the 'white line' 1 month ago #221477

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 1 month ago
They are under the audio tab in the fixed layout and opened with the advanced button in the flexible layout.

Re: Adjust audio levels using the 'white line' 1 month ago #221479

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 month ago
A picture is worth a thousand words.

Fixed GUI:

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Flexible GUI:

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

If you still don't see them, post a screenshot of what you see, please.

Re: Adjust audio levels using the 'white line' 1 month ago #221512

• kubricksaid
  • Junior Boarder
  • 1 month ago
I'm so sorry if I'm being dumb here. I can't see these value boxes on my screen?
Attachments:
  • Attachment This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Re: Adjust audio levels using the 'white line' 1 month ago #221514

• kubricksaid
  • Junior Boarder
  • 1 month ago
Here is a full screen cap
Attachments:
  • Attachment This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Re: Adjust audio levels using the 'white line' 1 month ago #221515

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 month ago
I'd suggest using the full size of the Lightworks Windows (not shrinked) on one display and not hiding it with windows of other application.

Re: Adjust audio levels using the 'white line' 1 month ago #221517

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 month ago
Hold on a second.

What version of Lightworks do your run. V14.0? If so, I strongly recommend abandoning that ship and upgrading to 2020.1.

Re: Adjust audio levels using the 'white line' 1 month ago #221518

• kubricksaid
  • Junior Boarder
  • 1 month ago
I didn't hide it? I reduced the LW window so you could see to the very edges, in case there was anything important there. The first pic is not how I use LW.

The second pic is how I use LW. It is fully expanded on my main display. The second display is used for viewing the expanded playback pane.

I'm using an older version apparently? I will dl and install the newer version as you suggest.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.32 seconds
Scroll To Top