Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: I can't see my editing window

I can't see my editing window 1 month, 2 weeks ago #220569

• ZenaW
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 month, 2 weeks ago
Hello, I'm really hoping someone can help.

I'm new to LW, so won't have the right terms, I'm afraid.

I have been working with a project and reading the forum (which is brilliant) and watching some of the LW videos.

One of the videos said to double click on a file, and then you can import just a section of the clip to between two blue markers. (Up to now, I've been dragging the files into new tracks, and then cutting bits off them using the blue markers.)
So I thought I'd try it. I double clicked on one of the thumbnails in the project contents... and my entire project disappeared. I can see what I think is the video track, but I can't get back to seeing all my video and audio tracks.

I don't believe they've gone completely, but for the life of me I can't see how to get them back. And of course I've been clicking around, doing undo and redo, which probably hasn't helped (but didn't solve the problem). Closing down LW and reopening hasn't worked.

I've attached a screenshot with a highlight ring around where I was seeing all my tracks, but where I now see just the audio track.

Please help? This project has taken weeks of work and I'm so upset that it might all have vanished!
Attachments:
  • Attachment This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Re: I can't see my editing window 1 month, 2 weeks ago #220570

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 month, 2 weeks ago
Hello,

In one project you can create and work with as many sequences as your wish. It appears that you have opened a copy of a section of some sequence with just one video track.

Under 'Filters' up left, click on 'Sequences. Open them one by one with a double click and see if you can find the missing.

It appear to me that you don't run the latest version of Lightworks 2020.1, but V14.5. Is there a specific reason for this?

Can you remember how you created the shown copy of the section? Was that intended?
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 1 month, 2 weeks ago by hugly.

Re: I can't see my editing window 1 month, 2 weeks ago #220573

• ZenaW
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 month, 2 weeks ago
Dear Hugly

I cannot tell you how grateful I am. I have genuine tears in my eyes at having got my project back - thank you so much!

I downloaded v14.5 a little while ago and haven't got the nerve to update it, that's all. I keep thinking once I've done a particular project I will, but then I start a new one before that one is done, and I'm a bit nervous about losing what I have so far with an update.

I'm really not sure what I'm doing (you probably guessed that!) - I think I right-clicked on the audio clip, did 'sequence commands' and chose 'make' and 'copy'. What I was trying to do was take a very short audio clip (background music) and copy it. (Just to reassure you, I bought the original royalty-free music for video 1 of the four I'm putting together, but I can't find the original music - I'm not stealing copyright music.)

Forgive me if I don't reply to any further comments immediately - I need to lie down in a darkened room to get over my panic

xxxx

Re: I can't see my editing window 1 month, 2 weeks ago #220574

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 1 month, 2 weeks ago
You can run both versions on your computer if you put V2020.1 into a separate folder in your programs directory if you're worried about losing anything.

There's also a user guide in downloads > documentation.

Re: I can't see my editing window 1 month, 2 weeks ago #220575

• ZenaW
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 month, 2 weeks ago
Many thanks, I will do that

Re: I can't see my editing window 1 month, 2 weeks ago #220576

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 month, 2 weeks ago
Good to hear that you've found the missing and thank your for answering my questions.

Some information for your future work in order to reduce potential panic: Lightworks auto-saves after each editing step. That's very convenient, but has the downside that it saves also unintended modifications and, the number of undo steps per sequence is limited to 10. You can preserve a certain state of your work by creating a manual project backup without media.

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

The size of the resulting folders is small, so you can do it on a regular basis. To restore project backups, use 'Restore an archived project..' from the start screen (aka project browser).

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: I can't see my editing window 1 month, 2 weeks ago #220603

• ZenaW
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 month, 2 weeks ago
Thank you, again.

I confess can't see the backup that you've got (my screen doesn't match your images) but that may be because I haven't upgraded to v2020.1 yet.

I'll do that today and then see if I can find it. Being able to back up would be a big relief!

Re: I can't see my editing window 1 month, 2 weeks ago #220604

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 1 month, 2 weeks ago
V14.5 and V2020.1 are similar in this regard. You need to left click on the project name in the top left. The menu opens with "make backup" appearing in the details tab.

Re: I can't see my editing window 1 month, 2 weeks ago #220623

• ZenaW
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 month, 2 weeks ago
Oh hoorah. User error, again, Hugly - and thanks Briadrys. You guys are seriously awesome - another huge round of thanks.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.37 seconds
Scroll To Top