Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Sync 2 or more cameras and audio recorder? Software?

Sync 2 or more cameras and audio recorder? Software? 3 months, 1 week ago #215059

• chongkevindee
  • Junior Boarder
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
I've just finished editing a short video and it’s hell trying to sync 2 cameras and 1 audio recorder using the clap method. I imagine that it would be more hell as i add more cameras.

I’ve been reading on pluraleyes and syncaila. Does this work with lightworks? Any free or cheap alternatives?

Also, i’m curious w/ time codes. Is this easier? Is it expensive? Please note that i am using multiple different cameras. Sometimes, i even use my mobile phone. Thanks!

Thanks in advance!

Re: Sync 2 or more cameras and audio recorder? Software? 3 months, 1 week ago #215063

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
Have you checked out the multi cam feature in Lightworks?

Re: Sync 2 or more cameras and audio recorder? Software? 3 months, 1 week ago #215079

• chongkevindee
  • Junior Boarder
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
Hi! Im sorry. I haven't. Does this auto sync via sound? I will have to check and read on this. Thanks!

Re: Sync 2 or more cameras and audio recorder? Software? 3 months, 1 week ago #215081

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
It is, not with V14.5 but with lightworks 2020.1, newly invented and not documented yet.

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

I haven't tested it so far, so I can't tell how good it works. Prior to trying, I'd suggest making yourself familiar with muticam bins, life editing and the classic sync methods by current frame and primary T/C with Lightworks.

I'm not sure if the new feature will compensate for sync drifts, thus you should make sure that all your cameras shoot at the same frame rate, e.g all at 23.976 and not one camera at straight 24 and the other at 23.976 fps. Mobile phone recording might be critical in this respect.

When working with mutlicam bins, I strongly recommend using the internal proxy workflow.

www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=217&id=194770&Itemid=81#194787
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 3 months, 1 week ago by hugly.

Re: Sync 2 or more cameras and audio recorder? Software? 3 months, 1 week ago #215082

• chongkevindee
  • Junior Boarder
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
Thank you very much! i will be watching and learning from this. Thanks!

Re: Sync 2 or more cameras and audio recorder? Software? 3 months, 1 week ago #215083

• chongkevindee
  • Junior Boarder
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
Hi!

i have tried the audio wave form sync. it's off by a lot. of course, i understand that i am shooting outdoors and my video and audio sources have varying volumes and is using a boom mic from a different angle. does this have an effect?

am i doing something wrong? or does this only work in a studio? i'm sorry for asking too many questions.

thanks in advance!
Last Edit: 3 months, 1 week ago by chongkevindee.

Re: Sync 2 or more cameras and audio recorder? Software? 3 months, 1 week ago #215084

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
No idea.

If you can share all the shots and the separately recorded sound on a file sharing service (e.g. wetransfer.com) for download, I will surely have a look into it.
Last Edit: 3 months, 1 week ago by hugly.

Re: Sync 2 or more cameras and audio recorder? Software? 3 months, 1 week ago #215087

• chongkevindee
  • Junior Boarder
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
Hi!

Please check the ff link: we.tl/t-SoiJrySoak

Video01 is with Audio01 and so on. i included 3 samples shots w/ audio source. (2x [1 video] w/ [1 audio] and 1x [2 video] w/ [1 audio]).

Also, video is shot in 1080, 50fps, if that helps. Audio source is using rode boom mic attached tascam dr-05. cam1 is sony rx100v. cam2 is fujifilm xt100.

In the projects, i added the corresponding files to bin. then right click inside the bin and choose multicam -> audio waveform. then a warning message pops out (something about not properly synced).

other notes:
- this is already a finished project. i aligned the sounds using the edit page when i was working on this project.

any ideas on how to work around it would be appreciated. thank you very much!

Edit:

For some reason, camera to camera seems to work. but the problem arises from the audio recorder.
Last Edit: 3 months, 1 week ago by chongkevindee.

Re: Sync 2 or more cameras and audio recorder? Software? 3 months, 1 week ago #215091

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
Thanks.

I'll be back, might take a while.

Re: Sync 2 or more cameras and audio recorder? Software? 3 months, 1 week ago #215092

• kalimerox
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
syncing is a thing these days with all the dslrs and phones and different recorders. Timecode is definitely great, but syncing will only work when all the cams and the recorder have "real" timecode, so you cannot record an aux timecode on the audio channel (as a lot of people do with the tentacle syncs)
[for the sake of completenes: you could do that using the tentacle studio software and change the timecode with that before going into lightworks, but too complicated for your needs i think]

in your case i would guess clapping and the multicam sync would be the best as also the tascam has no timecode by itself.

pluraleyes etc does not work with lightworks afaik.

Re: Sync 2 or more cameras and audio recorder? Software? 3 months, 1 week ago #215095

• timzett
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
kalimerox wrote:
In your case i would guess clapping and the multicam sync would be the best as also the tascam has no timecode by itself.
Definitely agreed. It always worked and will always work. And it's platform/gear independent.
If you "forgot" your clapper board and only used 2 cams you can also sync via the audio, using both eyes (waveform overlay) and your ears (phase-out)

FWIW, in a world where non-pro gear is more and more used even for some feature films, ENG and documentary, timecode will become more and more unavailable. The manufacturers of (most) DSLRs and phones don't see a need for timecode in their products (well it's consumer grade).
Lwks x64 2020.1 revision 122068, pro license, on Windows 10

HARDWARE:
.Intel Core i7-4710HQ Quad-core 2,50 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 SDRAM
.GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M with 4 GB RAM
.Sound: Onboard (Realtek)
.Disks: 250 GB SSD internal (OS/programs), 1 TB SATA internal for source footage

CAMs: Sony PXW-X70, NEX-5n, Xiaomi Yi 1080p
Last Edit: 3 months, 1 week ago by timzett.

Re: Sync 2 or more cameras and audio recorder? Software? 3 months, 1 week ago #215096

• kalimerox
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
timzett this is true, though it seems it goes both ways: with things like tentacle sync or the ultra sync blue, timecode becomes cheaper and more available and there are phone apps that output timecode through audio as well.. . so aux timecode I think is spreading (for low and mid budget productions at least). But most companies i work for do use plural eyes for sync. I guess this is due to the fact that productions on these levels also get "dirtier" and even if a clapper is around people forget to use it

Re: Sync 2 or more cameras and audio recorder? Software? 3 months, 1 week ago #215103

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
chongkevindee wrote:
.. In the projects, i added the corresponding files to bin. then right click inside the bin and choose multicam -> audio waveform. then a warning message pops out (something about not properly synced) ..

I have tested it with take two ("Video01Cam01" and "Audio01").
Also in my test the automatic synchronization with the waveform failed.I think the audio and therefore the waveforms are too different:
- Clapping at different volumes, in one case with echo.
- Volume ratios foreground to background. etc ..

In this case I would manually sync to the clapping. This can be done in the Multicam bin, or without the Multicam bin (Syncs, Sequence). If necessary, "Cue" points in the source elements can be used to identify the sync points (use the Cue option "Show clip cues" in the target sequence).
Mainly automatically translated
--------------------------------------------
Software: Lightworks 2020.1; || Windows 10, 64 Bit
Hardware: Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz); || shared RAM: 8 GB; || Intel HD Graphics 4600 (can use max. 2 GB of shared RAM)
Last Edit: 3 months, 1 week ago by schrauber.

Re: Sync 2 or more cameras and audio recorder? Software? 3 months, 1 week ago #215113

• chongkevindee
  • Junior Boarder
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
Thank hugly!

Re: Sync 2 or more cameras and audio recorder? Software? 3 months, 1 week ago #215115

• chongkevindee
  • Junior Boarder
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
hi kalimerox and timzett!

any ideas if syncaila would work w/ lightworks? it says in their website under "compatibility" that it might work with lightworks but is not yet tested.

thanks!
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.43 seconds
Scroll To Top