Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Different audio levels in A1 A2?

Different audio levels in A1 A2? 1 week, 6 days ago #212714

• dbgat6
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 week, 6 days ago
When editing the audio A1 A2 I lower them to -6. Then all audio tracks in A1 A2 in the entire timeline goes -6. But is it possible to get the different audio clips to have different audio settings like for example one that is -6 and another one maybe 0 and if so how is it done? I'm using a Rode VMP+ with a deadcat and I have the manual recording level low so I don't get any background disturbance and I have noticed that the difference in my speaking in the audio is not so different compared to if the recording level is high and it is also recommended by experts to have it low. I don't have a strong voice and I'm worried that my audio will not be good enough so I would like to raise my speaking in the audio when editing if possible and especially when I'm indoors whit no other sound than me. I have the free version of Lightworks. I film outdoors but also inside in my little apartment. However I haven't uploaded any videos to YouTube yet because I want them to be good first and as a beginner I want to master Lightworks better than I do now and especially this question about the audio which I couldn't find an answer for anywhere. Thanks for your time. Hope you can help me.

Re: Different audio levels in A1 A2? 1 week, 6 days ago #212715

• dbgat6
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 week, 6 days ago
Maybe you can suggest another solution?

Re: Different audio levels in A1 A2? 1 week, 6 days ago #212761

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 1 week, 6 days ago
You can adjust the levels on each audio segment (clip) when you're in the audio tab.

This unofficial video tutorial should get you started, but instead of using the mixer, drag the level line in each audio clip up and down (you see a double ended arrow). You'll nodes in the video, but if just adjusting all the level, you don't need those.

Re: Different audio levels in A1 A2? 1 week, 6 days ago #212762

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 week, 6 days ago
Hello,

Lightworks has three controls to adjust audio levels: The audio mixer, Clip Gain, and Track Sound Level.

The basics in short words: The mixer applies to entire tracks, Clip Gain to segments, Track Sound Level to audio nodes. Audio nodes can be set, moved, selected, and deleted. To select multiple audio nodes to move or delete all at once, Ctrl+click or lasso them . Clip Gain and Track Sound Level influence the waveform in the timeline, whereas the mixer does not.

When using the mixer, don't move the sliders on LR away from zero to ensure correct meter readings on the master bus.

Hope that makes sense.

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 1 week, 6 days ago by hugly.

Re: Different audio levels in A1 A2? 1 week, 6 days ago #212764

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 week, 6 days ago
I forgot to mention something probably very important for your application:

Not the audio mixer, but Clip Gain and Track Sound Level apply to grouped audio tracks all at once. Lightworks creates new sequences with two grouped stereo track pairs by default. To ungroup track pairs in order to adjust level and gain per track, right-click on the track name left hand side and select 'Track Commands.Ungoup'. If you have mono recordings, you can use the knobs on top of channel faders of the audio mixer to pan the signal to LR as desired, but don't do that with a stereo recording, because this can introduce phasing issues.

Re: Different audio levels in A1 A2? 1 week, 6 days ago #212765

• dbgat6
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 week, 6 days ago
Thanks! There are a lot of options. How to get the sound from me speaking get louder? Boost treble? If so then there will be several more filter type options: Low pass. High pass. Band pass. Notch. Peaking EQ. Low and High shelf. There are also 5 Band... and frequenzy and Q-factor. Please give me a detailed answer and I think I will figure the rest out by googling. Thanks!

Re: Different audio levels in A1 A2? 1 week, 6 days ago #212766

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 week, 6 days ago
From your answer, I assume that you know what a parametric equalizer is and how to use it.

There's a preset 'Increase VO Presence' to increase the presence of voice over. It's configured as a one band Peaking EQ with an operating frequency of 2.5 kHz and pretty flat characteristics. I think that's a good preset to start with.
Last Edit: 1 week, 6 days ago by hugly.

Re: Different audio levels in A1 A2? 1 week, 6 days ago #212767

• dbgat6
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 week, 6 days ago
Thanks hugly. So Increase VO Presence will work even if it's not a voice over? I don't use voice overs. I'm talking about my voice in a clip I film with also other sounds present or me talking to my shothun mic in my apartment. What about "Loudness Curve" - is that of any use?

Re: Different audio levels in A1 A2? 1 week, 6 days ago #212768

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 week, 6 days ago
All depends on your recordings. Try and see.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.30 seconds
Scroll To Top