Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Looking for scifi sound effects

Looking for scifi sound effects 2 weeks, 5 days ago #208202

• SgtDannySgt
  • Pro User
  • Expert Boarder
  • 2 weeks, 5 days ago
Hello everyone, am looking for good quality scifi sound effects,like engine sounds, space battery blasts, input sounds, etc... I have found some on the web but they are too huge and pricy for me. Any suggestions? Thanks

Danny

Re: Looking for scifi sound effects 2 weeks, 5 days ago #208206

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 2 weeks, 5 days ago
Check out Eric Matyas' website at soundimage.org/. He doesn't just have music there. There's some great sci-fi atmospherics and spot effects.

And they're free.
Last Edit: 2 weeks, 5 days ago by jwrl.

Re: Looking for scifi sound effects 2 weeks, 5 days ago #208208

• SgtDannySgt
  • Pro User
  • Expert Boarder
  • 2 weeks, 5 days ago
Hey J!

Yeap, always do check Eric's site. Actually I use most of my sound effects from him. The ones I am after are much more specific. Like ambient sounds for a ship or fleet (am aware there are no sounds in space but they do add to the drama and the montage of the clips), plasma batteries opening fire, explosions, full out space battle sounds, ships jumping into hyperspace, missiles firing and nuclear blasts.

Re: Looking for scifi sound effects 2 weeks, 4 days ago #208210

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 2 weeks, 4 days ago
Have you tried mixing various sounds? Just to demonstrate the idea, here's a mix of Rez-Drone-1 and Ambient-Rumble from the sci-fi atmos group, and from the aircraft interiors, Jet-Plane-Ambience_High-Altitude_Static_Interior.

It's a 48K wav file rather than the 44.1K MP3s that Eric posts, but it should give you an idea. You can do the same thing to simulate rocket sounds, weapons, you name it. Just because something isn't labelled sci-fi doesn't mean that it can't be used for that.
Attachments:
  • Attachment This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
Last Edit: 2 weeks, 4 days ago by jwrl.

Re: Looking for scifi sound effects 2 weeks, 4 days ago #208212

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 2 weeks, 4 days ago
Actually, follow on from the above: most engineers that I know who have had to this do exactly what I suggested - find combinations of sound effects that they can build into the effect that they want. They also often do this by varying the speed of effect that they are building on to change its characteristics.

One of the most impressive space interiors that I have heard was put together out of a gas-fired barbecue because it produced the sort of intermittently varying hiss that the engineer wanted, filtered hospital corridor atmos, and a ticking clock slowed down to roughly a tenth normal speed (I think) mixed in at very low level. The slow low pitched, low level thud-thud-thud of the clock underneath the other two gave the effect life. Of course, he recorded each of those himself, but you don't necessarily need to do that. Just experiment.
Last Edit: 2 weeks, 4 days ago by jwrl.

Re: Looking for scifi sound effects 2 weeks, 4 days ago #208215

• SgtDannySgt
  • Pro User
  • Expert Boarder
  • 2 weeks, 4 days ago
That's one thing I didn't try and that is to create the sounds myself... which would prove interesting. OK I will. Thanks mate.

danny

Re: Looking for scifi sound effects 2 weeks, 4 days ago #208259

• donkpow
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 weeks, 4 days ago
Licensing may be an issue, depending on how you use the material
http://bbcsfx.acropolis.org.uk/

Look for Creative Commons 0 license in your search for "public domain" sounds.
https://freesound.org/

Ask the question again in a couple of years after you've sifted through the libraries, I'll give you more links.
HP Z600 5570
PNY Quadro K620
SB Audigy SE
Windows 10 Pro
ShuttlePRO v2
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.28 seconds
Scroll To Top