• Page:

TOPIC: How to remove mic crackle

How to remove mic crackle 3 weeks, 3 days ago #206758

• julies
  • Pro User
  • Junior Boarder
  • 3 weeks, 3 days ago
Hi,

Can anyone point me in the right direction (in very easy layman's terms) for removing or reducing the sound of mic crackling, please? I recorded a speaker at an event, taking a direct feed from the mixer desk, but the previous speaker's mic was still on and crackled a lot as they took a while to remove it.

I've already been playing around with the EQ for a different clip to reduce the background sound of a different speaker picked up from another stage during the intro to my speaker (if that makes sense!). The joys of recording at outdoor events.

I should add, audio has to be my weakest area so any help at all would be much appreciated!

Thanks.

Re: How to remove mic crackle 3 weeks, 3 days ago #206761

• donkpow
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 weeks, 3 days ago
The noise is likely to be broad band in nature. That is to say the noise is likely made up of multiple frequencies at once. Sonic Visualizer is a free tool to help you identify frequencies in an audio stream. You will need some frequency information to use Lightworks' EQ to clean that up a bit. More than likely, you will want to use the loudness envelope to reduce peak levels of the noise spikes. It also helps to make a copy your tracks to mix the original with a copy.
HP Z600 5570
PNY Quadro K620
SB Audigy SE
Windows 10 Pro
ShuttlePRO v2

Re: How to remove mic crackle 3 weeks, 3 days ago #206762

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 weeks, 3 days ago
Are these peaks clearly visible in the waveform, and much stronger than the rest?
Are there few or many peaks?
Mainly automatically translated
--------------------------------------------
Software: Lightworks 14.6 Beta & 14.5; || Windows 10, 64 Bit
Hardware: Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz); || shared RAM: 8 GB; || Intel HD Graphics 4600 (can use max. 2 GB of shared RAM)

Re: How to remove mic crackle 3 weeks, 3 days ago #206763

• julies
  • Pro User
  • Junior Boarder
  • 3 weeks, 3 days ago
Thanks for that. I'll have a look at Sonic Visualizer.
Appreciate the help!

Re: How to remove mic crackle 3 weeks, 3 days ago #206764

• donkpow
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 weeks, 3 days ago
The hazard in using the EQ tool too broadly is that you may reduce the frequency range of the audio, ending up with audio that sounds muddied or tinny. If you see the noise is in a fairly narrow frequency band, you can set a "notch" filter to reduce the loudness of the noise. The Lightworks preset of a notch filter is like the hum removal tools.

One advantage of the paid version of Lightworks is that you can have unlimited exports of audio files that are sample accurate. If you export a copy of the original track, work the original with your filters and level controls, import the copy of the original to the time line, and adjust the track volume levels, you will see that some noise reduction has occurred. This is the case because now you are adding the tracks together, one cleaned track and one original.

These are some of the understandings that will help plot a course for correction.
HP Z600 5570
PNY Quadro K620
SB Audigy SE
Windows 10 Pro
ShuttlePRO v2

Re: How to remove mic crackle 3 weeks, 3 days ago #206771

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 3 weeks, 3 days ago
It might be worth your while searching on line for FFT or fast Fourier transform filters. They can help remove this sort of impulse noise. Like all processing of this nature they need care in their use though.
Last Edit: 3 weeks, 3 days ago by jwrl.

Re: How to remove mic crackle 2 weeks, 6 days ago #206961

• julies
  • Pro User
  • Junior Boarder
  • 2 weeks, 6 days ago
Thanks, guys.
I'll be looking at all this tomorrow.
Must admit, I hate dealing with audio problems, it's much easier just to record clean sound but when you're taking a feed from someone else that's not always possible...
Really appreciate all the help!
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.36 seconds
Scroll To Top