• Page:

TOPIC: Synching Audio Track to another Audio Track

Synching Audio Track to another Audio Track 3 weeks, 4 days ago #205318

• MarkusGraves
  • Pro User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 3 weeks, 4 days ago
Hello,

When I record, I use two audio tracks: the audio recorded by my camera & the audio my Blue Yeti Pro mic (not sure if that's relevant but I'll add it in case it is) captures. When I edit, I have to sync those two up but it always seems like my BYP audio track "lags" behind. If I do sync them up at a particular point, as the timeline continues on, the external audio continues to "drag". So, I'll spend a considerable amount of time scrubbing through the edit to constantly sync the audio back up.

Is there a function where Lightworks can "read" the audio wavelengths and sync it up itself? If not, where can I message the developers to request such a function?

Thanks

Re: Synching Audio Track to another Audio Track 3 weeks, 4 days ago #205324

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 weeks, 4 days ago
Hello,

Audio drift with separately recorded sound is most frequently caused by wrong pre-ingest sync settings. What is the frame rate of your video and what are your pre-ingest sync settings?

With V14.6, the multicam bin has an option to sync audio to audio, but I don't know if it will compensate for wrong pre-ingest sync settings. V14.6 is currently in beta state and may have issues. It's not recommended using it for serious work, but of course you can install and test it.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 3 weeks, 4 days ago by hugly.

Re: Synching Audio Track to another Audio Track 3 weeks, 4 days ago #205328

• MarkusGraves
  • Pro User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 3 weeks, 4 days ago
Thanks for the reply!

My frame rate is 24 fps. How do I see and edit my pre-ingest sync settings? At the risk of sounding stupid, what does the term ingest (pre-ingest), in this context, used for? lol. I have a good idea but I want to make sure I'm on the same page haha.

Thanks

Re: Synching Audio Track to another Audio Track 3 weeks, 3 days ago #205332

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 weeks, 3 days ago
The issue you've encountered might have other causes, but it's worth it checking pre-ingest sync first.

In general, recording and playback speed of audio usually refers to real time, same as video recorded in straight frame rates (e.g. 24, 30 fps), whereas video recorded in NTSC drop-frame (23.976, 29.97 fps) runs slower by a factor of 1000/1001 to match the standards. For separately recorded audio, playback speed has to be set to match video speed. Currently, with V14.5 (and earlier), this can be done only prior to import using the pre-ingest sync settings. Unfortunately, with versions prior to V14.5 these settings may show issues. I hope you run V14.5 and not an earlier version.

Delete already imported audio clips with drifting sound. Press F1 to open the import window (aka Local Files in Fixed layout) and right-click into empty space or the column headline to open the panel 'Import Commands'. Under 'Audio-only media', set 'Pre-ingest-sync' to 'Picture @ 23.98 fps' for 23.976 fps video or 'Picture @ 24 fps' for straight 24 fps video, import the audio, try syncing again and see what happens.

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 3 weeks, 3 days ago by hugly.

Re: Synching Audio Track to another Audio Track 3 weeks, 3 days ago #205336

• MarkusGraves
  • Pro User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 3 weeks, 3 days ago
I'm running V14.5. I changed the pre-ingest and it WORKED! Phew! A lot of editing time will be saved now lol.

Thanks for your help, Hugly!
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.26 seconds
Scroll To Top