Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 32 bit floating point?

32 bit floating point? 3 weeks, 5 days ago #205279

• kalimerox
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 weeks, 5 days ago
there is a little revolution coming its way with set recording in 32bit floating point with machines like zoom f6 and the new sound devices mixpre ii series and i was wondering if lightworks is capable of handling these files?

what i know that all the daws do, except logic, and some NLE s do , except avid and resolve. as 32bit floating point will change the sound recording world significantly (the best example is: on the new mix pre ii series it basically doe not matter what gain settings you dial in as there is always a high enough signal to noise ratio to bring up the levels in post.. ) i m sure in 2 or 4 years most of the recorded audio on set will be in 32bit floating point..

www.sounddevices.com/32-bit-float-files-explained/
Last Edit: 3 weeks, 5 days ago by kalimerox.

Re: 32 bit floating point? 3 weeks, 5 days ago #205282

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 weeks, 5 days ago
Hi kalimerox,

I gather the Lightworks audio engine uses 32-bit float internally, anyway. With V14.5 and using ffmpeg to create, these 32-bit float formats work:

In WAV container: pcm_f32be in 44.1, 48 and 96 kHz

In AIF container: pcm_f32be in 24, 32, 44.1, 48, 96 and 192 kHz.

There might be differences with audio muxed into other containers, MXF or MOV for example. It could be, that sampling rates above 48 kHz are always down-sampled to 48 kHz prior to internal processing.

I don't see a reason why any of those formats shouldn't work with V14.6 but, as you probably know, I never say never. To be on the safe side, just test some files created with the devices of your choice, prior to purchasing.

Edit: The above was from memory, it's partially wrong, and I didn't care much about quality. After a quick repeat of my tests, I think, you should make your own tests with the formats in question on your system to see if they are importable and how they sound. I've attached a native saxophone recording as wav file, converted to 32-bit aiff in 48 and 96 kHz, just to show that it works. Ican't say if ffmpeg does everything right.
Attachments:
  • Attachment This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 3 weeks, 5 days ago by hugly.

Re: 32 bit floating point? 3 weeks, 5 days ago #205284

• kalimerox
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 weeks, 5 days ago
this is great news as lightworks here is ahead of other nle s...

before I will change to the new recorder i will give it a test ...

Re: 32 bit floating point? 3 weeks, 5 days ago #205288

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 weeks, 5 days ago
I edited my last post above, because the information was partially wrong/incomlpete, but 32-bit float support exists.

Any news about your research on LTC?
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 3 weeks, 5 days ago by hugly.

Re: 32 bit floating point? 3 weeks, 4 days ago #205294

• kalimerox
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 weeks, 4 days ago
great I will check.

LTC: I m talking back and forth with tentacle sync about getting their program running in wine. they are super nice and helpful, but their linux guy is on holidays right now
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.27 seconds
Scroll To Top