Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: [SOLVED - Good explanation inside] Audiomix Panel - Howto?

[SOLVED - Good explanation inside] Audiomix Panel - Howto? 7 years, 3 months ago #20460

• Schloime
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 7 years, 3 months ago
Hello again,

Is there some guide around how to use the Audiomix panel? Honestly I am confused a bit by it, how all the numbers connect to the tracks... Sorry if it is a stupid-newbie-question again.

Thanks for your help,
Schloime
Tech: AMD FX 6100, 16 GB RAM, GeForce GTX780, Win10 64, Panasonic AG-AC90, Panasonic HC-X929, Canon EOS 600D (T3i), Contour Shuttle, BMD Intensity Pro, Zoom H2N, Tascam DR44WL, DVR Dongle
Last Edit: 7 years ago by Schloime. Reason: changed topic

Re: Audiomix Panel - Howto? 7 years, 3 months ago #20502

• jlenting
  • Expert Boarder
  • 7 years, 3 months ago
I am also a newbie and i don't quite get how the audio mixer panel works.

It would be great if someone can clarify how it works.

(there is not a detailed explanation in the user guide).
My specs:
CPU: Intel Pentium G630 2ghz;
Memory: 4gb
Video Card: Nvidia GeForce GT 630

Re: Audiomix Panel - Howto? 7 years, 3 months ago #21656

• bjacquot
  • Pro User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 7 years, 3 months ago
This mixer is set up like a mid-sized hardware mixer, at least as far as routing.

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

The left side is the "input" section. Each track in the stripview will have a corresponding column here.

The controls at the bottom of each input are fairly straightforward.
  • The glowing "A1" is an enable button...it turns the playback for that lane on.
  • Above that is the "solo" button, the opposite. If you turn that on, you can only hear the tracks that are soloed.
  • Above that is the fader, the volume control for the track. Grab the triangle to turn the track up or down. It's combined with a level meter for the track. In general, you don't want the audio levels to get too high, and the meter helps keep an eye on that.
  • The blue dot above that is the pan control...to steer the track to the left or right output

Above that are the assignment buttons - you tell the track what destinations you want it to go to. This is the first place it gets tricky. This mixer lets you make submixes (the Mix1, 2, 3 buttons), or just send inputs straight to the main output (LR).

On the right are the 4 strips that represent the 3 submixes, and the main mix. They have the same mute, solo and level/meter controls. The number buttons are output assignments...it looks like Lightworks can do 4 tracks of audio output. You can pick how the audio finds it's way to the outputs. The submixes can also be routed to the main mix.

As an experiment, play back some audio and turn the mix1, 2, 3 buttons on your inputs on and off. Notice that as you turn them on, the meters on the corresponding submix indicate the level of that submix.

With audio going to a submix, give it the same number selections as the main (far right) channel. As you press them they're automatically deselected from the main channel, and now those outputs will be fed from the submix instead.

So how is this meant to be used?

For simple editing work with only a few audio tracks, there's no specific reason to use submixes. Simply assign the inputs to LR, and set the levels as you see fit.

But more sophisticated productions may have lots of tracks, and this helps organize them. Consider a video production with several tracks of dialog, several more tracks of foley and sound effects, and stereo music tracks. You might elect to create a dialog submix, an FX submix, and a music submix. The submixes all get assigned to LR for a main mix with all of those elements. You can turn the group up or down by adjusting the submix fader, rather than having to visit each track fader individually.

This flexibility can be useful. Let's say the production described above is going to be exported to a foreign market. They will be recording translated dialog, but want to use the existing music and FX tracks. You could simply turn off the dialog submix and export a new audio mix with just the FX and music.
Last Edit: 5 years, 1 month ago by shaunthesheep.

Re: Audiomix Panel - Howto? 7 years, 3 months ago #21659

• Schloime
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 7 years, 3 months ago
Thank you for the detailed explanation, now some things make more sense to me.
Again, Thank you very much.
Tech: AMD FX 6100, 16 GB RAM, GeForce GTX780, Win10 64, Panasonic AG-AC90, Panasonic HC-X929, Canon EOS 600D (T3i), Contour Shuttle, BMD Intensity Pro, Zoom H2N, Tascam DR44WL, DVR Dongle

Re: Audiomix Panel - Howto? 7 years ago #26627

• quality
  • Pro User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 7 years ago
This explanation should really be in the user guide. That is the first place I went looking for information but found relatively little. Thank you for the explanation here.

Re: Audiomix Panel - Howto? 7 years ago #26666

• stanalexis
  • Pro User
  • Junior Boarder
  • 7 years ago
Thank you for this nicely and detailed explanation.

Re: Audiomix Panel - Howto? 7 years ago #26692

• hatab4
  • Expert Boarder
  • 7 years ago
There is an old guide Touch User Guide. On page 96 describes the Audio Mixer panel. I myself have not read are not translated, and don `t know how it is compatible with the new version of LW 11. I do not have strong differences. If I'm wrong correct me. Download the attached file can be useful to someone.
This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 860 @ 2.80GHz, WinFast GTX 460(Nvidia), Windows 7 64 bit, 8Gb RAM | Lightworks Free

Re: Audiomix Panel - Howto? 6 years, 7 months ago #36520

• figmo124
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 6 years, 7 months ago
Are you working with the free version, as I am? I am grateful for whatever I can find, and the Forum is great!

youtube for "lightworks tutorial" for contributions beyond the download pages.
Robert
Mesa AZ USA
-
LW Free v14.5.0 with Contour Shuttle Pro v2
Dell Inspiron 660, Windows 10, 64 bit
i3-2120 processor 3.30 GHz, 6GB RAM
Intel HD Graphics

Re: Audiomix Panel - Howto? 6 years, 5 months ago #38678

• lobsterbark
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 6 years, 5 months ago
This Does help, but how do you add extra tracks? I dont have the option to add tracks when I click on the gears icon above the editing strip thingy.
Attachments:
  • Attachment This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Re: Audiomix Panel - Howto? 6 years, 5 months ago #38684

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 6 years, 5 months ago
It looks like the commands you get from an ordinary clip rather than an edit. Did you create an edit?

Re: Audiomix Panel - Howto? 6 years, 5 months ago #38686

• lobsterbark
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 6 years, 5 months ago
Thanks, I was on an edit copy, using the original fixed it.

Re: Audiomix Panel - Howto? 4 years, 11 months ago #76926

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 4 years, 11 months ago
Here's a user video on using the audio mixer by sennahojx:

Last Edit: 4 years, 11 months ago by briandrys.

Re: Audiomix Panel - Howto? 4 years, 11 months ago #76934

• sennahojx
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 years, 11 months ago
briandrys, thanks for posting the video here! I totally forgot to to do that.
Windows 10 Home 64bit, Intel Core i7 3770K @3,5GHz, 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz DDR3 RAM, ASUS GeForce GTX 650 Ti, MSI Z77A-G43, Seagate Barracuda 500GB C-drive, Seagate Barracuda 2TB D-drive.
johannesgustavsson.com
youtube.com/c/JohannesGustavssons
My Lightworks tutorials

Re: Audiomix Panel - Howto? 4 years, 8 months ago #82845

• jeff-free
  • Pro User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 4 years, 8 months ago
Hi , looked at the video and it explained it well, thanks. with referenceing the audio 'mixer' facility to the Premere Pro program, is there a way to 'record' the change of audio levels dynamically so a programme mixdown can be achieved?

Re: Audiomix Panel - Howto? 4 years, 8 months ago #82846

• khaver
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 years, 8 months ago
jeff-free, the audio mixer is basically just a master level and routing mixer. To dynamically adjust levels you will need to add nodes to the audio levels on the tracks in your edit and adjust there.

If you have an external mixer that uses the Mackie protocol you may be able to dynamically control the levels with it.
Work Comp: Retired!
Home Comp: Newer! Bigger! Faster!
Send me a tip: paypal.me/4khaver
Last Edit: 4 years, 8 months ago by khaver.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.41 seconds
Scroll To Top