Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Mute audio tracks (for editing and exporting purpose)

Mute audio tracks (for editing and exporting purpose) 1 month, 3 weeks ago #203903

• Elfusan
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 month, 3 weeks ago
I've been looking through topics related to audio track muting and I'm seeing a bit of inconsistency and illogical functionality.

Audio tracks get muted during playback when I'm in Audio tab, but not while I'm in Edit tab. Also, audio tracks are not muted on export when deselected (whether in edit or audio tab).

I expect the audio to be muted if deselected, no matter what tab I am in. And I expect the audio not to be included in export if it is deselected.

Attached image shows what I am talking about. A3/A4 is the original audio from clips I am editing. A1/A2 is the re-imported audio after editing it in external software. I don't want to delete A3/A4 because I may need to edit it again. Creating a separate sequence is counter-productive and forces me to take additional steps which can be avoided (not to mention it clutters the log).
Attachments:
  • Attachment This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Re: Mute audio tracks (for editing and exporting purpose) 1 month, 3 weeks ago #203904

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 1 month, 3 weeks ago
Welcome to the forum.

You've deselected tracks A2 and A4, click on the track names to select them again.

Re: Mute audio tracks (for editing and exporting purpose) 1 month, 3 weeks ago #203905

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 month, 3 weeks ago
Elfusan wrote:
Audio tracks get muted during playback when I'm in Audio tab, but not while I'm in Edit tab. Also, audio tracks are not muted on export when deselected (whether in edit or audio tab).

I expect the audio to be muted if deselected, no matter what tab I am in. And I expect the audio not to be included in export if it is deselected.

This is exactly the way it is supposed to work in Fixed layout: In exported files, you'll get what you hear in preview, in all tabs.

After checking the state of disabled/enabled tracks closely prior to export and exporting a marked section, can you reproduce what you tell?
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 1 month, 3 weeks ago by hugly.

Re: Mute audio tracks (for editing and exporting purpose) 1 month, 3 weeks ago #203909

• Elfusan
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 month, 3 weeks ago
hugly wrote:
After checking the state of disabled/enabled tracks closely prior to export and exporting a marked section, can you reproduce what you tell?

I checked now. I turned off all 4 audio tracks and exported the video again. When exported from EDIT tab the video had all audio tracks turned on. When exported from AUDIO tab the video had no audio. Both videos, however, were exactly the same size.

-

hugly wrote:
This is exactly the way it is supposed to work in Fixed layout: In exported files, you'll get what you hear in preview, in all tabs.

This is a badly designed functionality. Preview should not be different depending on window you are in. And above all: end product should not be different depending on the tab but rather - dependant on what I decide. I suggest you place export options in export windows and let users decide what is being exported.

Re: Mute audio tracks (for editing and exporting purpose) 1 month, 3 weeks ago #203910

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 month, 3 weeks ago
As I tried to explain, if a track is disabled it is muted in preview and in exported file, no matter from which tab the export is invoked. What you describe is unexpected behaviour.

What version of Lightworks do you run?

Have you any of the Solo switches on the audio mixer enabled?
Last Edit: 1 month, 3 weeks ago by hugly.

Re: Mute audio tracks (for editing and exporting purpose) 1 month ago #204772

• Elfusan
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 month ago
I am running v14.5.0.0, free license. None of the audio tracks were on solo. It may help mentioning that I was editing AVCHD material but I exported it to .mp4

Re: Mute audio tracks (for editing and exporting purpose) 1 month ago #204773

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 month ago
Hello again,

Do you think that the use of AVCHD has impact to the phenomenon?

Re: Mute audio tracks (for editing and exporting purpose) 1 month ago #204884

• Elfusan
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 month ago
It is the only thing out of the ordinary in this case. I'm editing an .mp4 at the moment. When I'm done, I'll see if the same problem occurs.

Re: Mute audio tracks (for editing and exporting purpose) 4 weeks ago #205190

• Elfusan
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 4 weeks ago
Test done. I turned off audio tracks and exports from EDIT and AUDIO tab have no audio on them. Input and export videos were .mp4. I am unable to re-test the AVCHD format because Lightworks now crashes each time I try to open the old project. The fileformat used in faulty project is .mts.

Re: Mute audio tracks (for editing and exporting purpose) 4 weeks ago #205193

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 weeks ago
Thanks for the feedback.

That sounds as if your old project got damaged somehow. If you need access to it, you could zip and post the project folder containing only metadata, maybe it's repairable.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.39 seconds
Scroll To Top