Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Audio Distortion/Level Boosting

Re: Audio Distortion/Level Boosting 2 months ago #197540

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months ago
RWAV wrote:
Yes - and to add - the required level reduction needs to be made at track level - not at L/R output. Doing the latter reduces the dynamic range of the output.

My wording to describe the phenomenon would differ from 'reduces the dynamic range', but I fully agree with the suggestion not to use the faders on LR *, if correct meter readings count.

Edit *: As it stands now, with V14.5.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 2 months ago by hugly.

Re: Audio Distortion/Level Boosting 2 months ago #197546

The LR meter levels in DBFS are absolutely correct regardless of the mix fader settings.
Export levels are accurate by the meters IF the computer system audio device settings being used are not attenuating the export.
Lowering the mix faders to attenuate excessive export levels is a perfectly viable way to prevent clipping.
Razz

Digital Bolex 2k Cinema DNG raw camera
Canon GL2 DV camcorder
iPAD Mini 3 Iographer rig

Workstation: Intel i7-4770k, Asrock Z87 Thunderbolt 2 MB, 16GB 1866 DDR3 ram,
2TB Seagate Hybrid system drive, 2TB Seagate NAS media drive, E-sata III hot swap drive bay, Nvidia GTX760 2GB GPU
Lightworks kybrd. Shuttlepro v2
Win10 Pro 64bit, Lightworks 14.0 64bit

Mobile Workstation: MSI GTX72 Dominator
Intel i7-6700HQ 2.7GHz Win10 64bit
16GB DDR4 ram, 500GB M.2 SSD
Nvidia GTX970 3GB GPU
USB3, USB3.1-C, Thunderbolt 3 ports
Shuttlepro2 Win10 64bit LW 14.0 64 bit
Last Edit: 2 months ago by David Rasberry.

Re: Audio Distortion/Level Boosting 2 months ago #197550

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months ago
Just to say, all audio data on export run neither through the OS mixer nor through any OS sound device. They are digital data created by Lightworks during the audio decoding/encoding process written directly to file. The OS sound devices are only used for audio preview/monitoring and capture (e.g. voice over) and there, the OS mixer settings can influence the signal level, but not in exported file.

To verify, with Lightworks running, disable all audio devices (or disconnect physically) and export. Enable the devices again and listen.
Last Edit: 2 months ago by hugly.

Re: Audio Distortion/Level Boosting 2 months ago #197552

Not true. The system audio device sits between Lightworks and the export file encoding. I have clearly proven that. You can prove it to yourself if you simply try it.
I posted a complete test of the Windows MME audio device settings affecting Lightworks exports in one of the other numerous threads you have started over this non-issue. If I was exporting via an external ASIO driver interface device, the same thing would happen if the device I/O channels are not set to unity gain.
Reduce the audio gain on your headphone output in Windows and it will reduce the export file level too UNLESS you set the sample rate and bit depth in the MME settings to match your timeline audio format in Lightworks and assign that audio format application priority. But you can only do that for one format, which means you can't mix audio of different formats in a sequence.
I don't use anything for production except 24 bit 48KHz WAV files and I have none of these "mysterious" level or metering inconsistencies on exports.
Razz

Canon GL2 DV camcorder

2TB Seagate Hybrid system drive, 2TB Seagate NAS media drive, E-sata III hot swap drive bay, Nvidia GTX760 2GB GPU

Nvidia GTX970 3GB GPU
Last Edit: 2 months ago by David Rasberry.

Re: Audio Distortion/Level Boosting 2 months ago #197553

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months ago
I remember, you have chosen Harrison Mixbus as reference which runs all channels through a compressor by default.

Re: Audio Distortion/Level Boosting 2 months ago #197557

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 2 months ago
Lowering the mix faders to attenuate excessive export levels is a perfectly viable way to prevent clipping
Not sure which mix faders are reference by the above - but in this example ---

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

--- it is arguable that, given all the available tools, pulling down the L/R faders may not be a genuinely viable choice. Pulling down the offending track levels would be fine; as would routing the tracks via a LW Mix but both of those are static settings for export.

In the example, being a pre-mix in LW, all mix levels were controlled by the LW node based track sound levels using a Mackie Control - the track sound level capability being an 'invisible' dynamic tool.
BETA System
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64BIT
HP Z800 Workstation
Last Edit: 2 months ago by RWAV.

Re: Audio Distortion/Level Boosting 2 months ago #197560

hugly wrote:
I remember, you have chosen Harrison Mixbus as reference which runs all channels through a compressor by default.

No it doesn't. There are compressor objects on every channel,mix bus, and the master outputs. But they are not active unless you turn them on.
Razz

Canon GL2 DV camcorder

Nvidia GTX970 3GB GPU
Time to create page: 0.30 seconds
Scroll To Top