Username Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Audio Distortion/Level Boosting

Re: Audio Distortion/Level Boosting 2 months ago #197408

• donkpow
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months ago
hugly wrote:
I agree that if digital clipping is part of the original audio you can't get rid of it. However, Lightworks doesn't have the instruments to detect digital clipping.
The waveform indicates clipping. Also, the DAW will give indication when O db is exceeded. Actually, more often than not, the meters turn yellow as you approach 0 db. Anything in the red is going to clip.
HP Z600 5570
PNY Quadro K620
SB Audigy SE
Windows 7 Pro
ShuttlePRO v2

Re: Audio Distortion/Level Boosting 2 months ago #197410

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months ago
As I tried to show earlier, the waveform (the red dots) doesn't separate between a signal which exactly reaches full scale and clipping. From a practical point of view that isn't a big deal, but red doesn't indicate necessarily clipping.

Referring to the level meter characteristics and controls, I think you're aware that I've pointed out elsewhere in some detail what to change to make them fit for serious digital audio work.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 2 months ago by hugly.

Re: Audio Distortion/Level Boosting 2 months ago #197416

• donkpow
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months ago
The shape of the waveform indicates clipping when present. How can you not acknowledge that?
HP Z600 5570
PNY Quadro K620
SB Audigy SE
Windows 7 Pro
ShuttlePRO v2

Re: Audio Distortion/Level Boosting 2 months ago #197425

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 2 months ago
A clean zero dBFS 1000 Hz sine signal shows in the timeline like this:
Yes and No - depends on how much of the timeline one is displaying -

This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

and how much horizontal space one has -

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Wonder how Audacity would look if it was displaying 10 minutes of waveform on-screen??
BETA System
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64BIT
HP Z800 Workstation
Last Edit: 2 months ago by RWAV.

Re: Audio Distortion/Level Boosting 2 months ago #197427

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 2 months ago
LW certainly does display waveform clipping -

This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
BETA System
HP Z800 Workstation

Re: Audio Distortion/Level Boosting 2 months ago #197438

donkpow wrote:
While your immediate concern may have been addressed, I am concerned about the heavy clipping presented in your screenshot. Unless that is what you want, it seems to me the part circled is too badly clipped. I don't see any open areas in the section. You may want to rework that area in your DAW, first by adjusting EQ then compressing the section. As it is you've plastered the time with a wall of sound. Probably distorted.

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

It does look like a clipped waveform from zoomed out, but I can assure you it's not. It's been aggressively mixed/mastered right up to the 0dB mark, but it doesn't sound to have any distortion. At least nothing unintended.

For reference, this is the track in question: soundcloud.com/user-910809074/realization

Re: Audio Distortion/Level Boosting 2 months ago #197439

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 2 months ago
It appears to be going over 0dB on the LR meter on the right.

Re: Audio Distortion/Level Boosting 2 months ago #197441

It is yeah, but only because the pan controls are set to centre field instead of full left and right.

Re: Audio Distortion/Level Boosting 2 months ago #197445

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months ago
RWAV wrote:
Wonder how Audacity would look if it was displaying 10 minutes of waveform on-screen??

For my taste, the waveform looks nicer in Audacity. Give it a shot, it's free.
Last Edit: 2 months ago by hugly.

Re: Audio Distortion/Level Boosting 2 months ago #197447

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 2 months ago
Ambientologist wrote:
It is yeah, but only because the pan controls are set to centre field instead of full left and right.

To be honest, I see little point in taking the audio tight up to 0 dB in digital, doing so in an analogue recording has a tradition because the tape can take the saturation and has a good sound.

Re: Audio Distortion/Level Boosting 2 months ago #197449

• donkpow
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months ago
Thanks for sharing the audio on SoundCloud. Being a registered user of SoundCloud, I am able to download this piece @ 44.1 kHz, 32 bit floating point and have a look at it.
HP Z600 5570
PNY Quadro K620
SB Audigy SE
Windows 7 Pro
ShuttlePRO v2

Re: Audio Distortion/Level Boosting 2 months ago #197450

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months ago
Ambientologist wrote:

I think that's the point.

Some background information: You'll hear this distortion with your clip also when playing it in the source viewer (the left viewer). That's because the default panning scheme for clips is centered. That's fine for mono, but not for most stereo recordings. Inserting a clip into the timeline overrides the mixer settings of the clip and applies the mixer settings of the timeline. On newly created timelines (Make.Sequence), the tracks are grouped to pairs and panning is set per track pair to fully/left right. The mixer settings for clips are accessible, basically, but only in Flexible layout, not in Fixed (as it stands now, V14.5).

Re: Audio Distortion/Level Boosting 2 months ago #197471

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 2 months ago
For my taste, the waveform looks nicer in Audacity. Give it a shot, it's free.
Would but Audacity is short on picture editing capability - anyway this forum is about lW - not Audacity.

The mixer settings for clips are accessible, basically, but only in Flexible layout, not in Fixed

In any project - if one modifies new sequence settings in Flexible - nominate track count and check 'MakeStereoPairs' those settings are honoured in all projects for new sequences - both Flexible and Fixed.

Track panning for clips is available in Fixed edit mode - to the extent that make stereo pairs can be accessed for a clip - that setting then remains for both layouts.
BETA System
HP Z800 Workstation
Last Edit: 2 months ago by RWAV.

Re: Audio Distortion/Level Boosting 2 months ago #197527

When you pan both channels to center you add them together. Adding two signals of equal amplitude means a +3Db increase in output level. Miximg by the meters and don't let anything exceed 0 level indication will prevent any clipping in Lightworks.
Razz

Digital Bolex 2k Cinema DNG raw camera
Canon GL2 DV camcorder
iPAD Mini 3 Iographer rig

Workstation: Intel i7-4770k, Asrock Z87 Thunderbolt 2 MB, 16GB 1866 DDR3 ram,
2TB Seagate Hybrid system drive, 2TB Seagate NAS media drive, E-sata III hot swap drive bay, Nvidia GTX760 2GB GPU
Lightworks kybrd. Shuttlepro v2
Win10 Pro 64bit, Lightworks 14.0 64bit

Mobile Workstation: MSI GTX72 Dominator
Intel i7-6700HQ 2.7GHz Win10 64bit
16GB DDR4 ram, 500GB M.2 SSD
Nvidia GTX970 3GB GPU
USB3, USB3.1-C, Thunderbolt 3 ports
Shuttlepro2 Win10 64bit LW 14.0 64 bit

Re: Audio Distortion/Level Boosting 2 months ago #197529

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 2 months ago
Yes - and to add - the required level reduction needs to be made at track level - not at L/R output. Doing the latter reduces the dynamic range of the output.

As an aside - in the post showing waveform display in multiple tracks - obviously the track names reflect the bit depth of each audio clip - LW re-samples all on-the-fly.
Didn't really expect to see this - but looking at the curve in the top track - 8 bits - LW is actually drawing a curve which, at least to some extent, reflects the quantisation steps in the file. Not too shabby for an NLE - and a significant confidence boost in relation to current LW audio handling.
BETA System
HP Z800 Workstation
Time to create page: 0.34 seconds
Scroll To Top