Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Audio Distortion/Level Boosting

Re: Audio Distortion/Level Boosting 2 months, 1 week ago #197194

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months, 1 week ago
Yes, it sheds light onto the path for further investigation and a possible fix.

Is this a stereo recording, is it music, and could it be that your initial findings (distortion and too high sound level) are based on playback of the audio clip in source viewer (the left viewer in edit mode)?
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: Audio Distortion/Level Boosting 2 months ago #197344

It's a stereo recording, and yes it's music (an hour or longer mix of various tracks). Those tracks that reach just below the 0dB limit are the ones that end up distorting.

If I understand your final question properly, the audio clip is no longer in the source viewer.

In case it helps at all, I've attached a screenshot of how it looks.
Attachments:
  • Attachment This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
Last Edit: 2 months ago by Ambientologist.

Re: Audio Distortion/Level Boosting 2 months ago #197345

To put the already answered question to bed: I tried with the original .wav files and there was the same issue.

Re: Audio Distortion/Level Boosting 2 months ago #197346

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months ago
As suspected in post # 197109, you have set the audio mixer to mono, which increases the common level. If you want the stereo, please use this setting:
This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

If you want mono with a reduced level, then please pull down the small arrows of the bargraphs of A1 and A2 until the LR bargraph remains permanently below 0. Please leave the small arrows on the LR-Bargrapf at 0.
Mainly automatically translated
--------------------------------------------
Windows 10, 64 Bit
Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz) ; Intel HD Graphics 4600

Re: Audio Distortion/Level Boosting 2 months ago #197347

!!

How simple. Thanks schrauber

Re: Audio Distortion/Level Boosting 2 months ago #197356

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months ago
Mixing stereo channel is sound engineer's nightmare.

Your screenshot shows the pan controls centered with A1+A2 grouped and even the Level meters on LR show values above zero (read: obvious distortion).

As a matter of interest, do you know how that happend? I'm asking, because Lightworks creates two stereo track pairs with pan controls set to full channel separation (panned fully to the left for the right left channel and fully to the right for the right), not centered?
Last Edit: 2 months ago by hugly.

Re: Audio Distortion/Level Boosting 2 months ago #197371

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 2 months ago
As the author of # 197109 - perhaps contributing posts should be read carefully - pretty difficult to pin this one to a LW 'bug', no matter how much one wants to subject it to a nefarious 'further investigation' pathway; and
Mixing stereo channel is sound engineer's nightmare.
in reality it is an absolutely standard procedure nothing at all to do with bad dreams.

If a sound engineer made that mistake, and couldn't quickly rectify it, that may be attributable more to substance-induced hallucinations than simple nightmares.

At the risk of being repetitious -
Multiple threads and controlled testing have shown that LW imports and plays .wav files at exactly their correct levels
Here we have network access to private SFX libraries in excess of 70,000 files - the split is about 75% mp3 35% .wav. We also subscribe to "the largest sound effects library on the planet" and download .mp3 previews as well as purchasing matching .wav file licences.

These resources have been used with variations of LW dating back least 20 years and have never encountered the alleged 'errors' that some have found to be apparently inexplicable in this thread.
BETA System
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64BIT
HP Z800 Workstation

Re: Audio Distortion/Level Boosting 2 months ago #197372

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months ago
To be more precise: Editors which deliver mixed stereo channels are sound engineers nightmare.

That doesn't happen? It does.

Re: Audio Distortion/Level Boosting 2 months ago #197392

• donkpow
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months ago
While your immediate concern may have been addressed, I am concerned about the heavy clipping presented in your screenshot. Unless that is what you want, it seems to me the part circled is too badly clipped. I don't see any open areas in the section. You may want to rework that area in your DAW, first by adjusting EQ then compressing the section. As it is you've plastered the time with a wall of sound. Probably distorted.

HP Z600 5570
PNY Quadro K620
SB Audigy SE
Windows 7 Pro
ShuttlePRO v2

Re: Audio Distortion/Level Boosting 2 months ago #197394

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months ago
Using the full range isn't uncommon for some contemporary music recordings, since digital delivery formats have been invented.

Re: Audio Distortion/Level Boosting 2 months ago #197395

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 2 months ago
I wouldn't take sustained audio anywhere near zero, in digital audio you can expect to have problems with it. Even a passing transient I would keep about 3 dB below zero.

Re: Audio Distortion/Level Boosting 2 months ago #197396

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months ago
briandrys wrote:
I wouldn't take sustained audio anywhere near zero, in digital audio you can expect to have problems with it. Even a passing transient I would keep about 3 dB below zero.

Since there no limiter/compressor in Lightworks, that's the best approach when mixing. For imported music only (as shown in op'screenshot), don't touch the mixer and other level controls and you are fine.
Last Edit: 2 months ago by hugly.

Re: Audio Distortion/Level Boosting 2 months ago #197398

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months ago
Just a side note:

Lightworks red clipping indicators shows up at a value below 0 dBFS. I suspect that's because you would have to decode and oversample the input when creating the waveforms to detect real clipping (which might be too slow).

A clean zero dBFS 1000 Hz sine signal shows in the timeline like this:

This signal exported with Youtube presets (read: AAC audio), all level controls untouched, and imported into Audacity looks like this. It appears identical to the original signal in PCM format.

A perfect job, even with highly compressed formats.

Re: Audio Distortion/Level Boosting 2 months ago #197405

• donkpow
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months ago
hugly wrote:
Using the full range isn't uncommon for some contemporary music recordings, since digital delivery formats have been invented.
The example isn't using full dynamic range, it is exceeding it. That's why clipping is present. I don't have a problem with clipping and distortion as long as that is what is intended. In fact, I presented an example a few years ago where distortion was a major component of the piece.

One should decide on the dynamic range before finishing the piece. You know, it's the range from a whisper to an explosion. The example here is one small segment that has blown the limits and is now distorted.
HP Z600 5570
PNY Quadro K620
SB Audigy SE
Windows 7 Pro
ShuttlePRO v2

Re: Audio Distortion/Level Boosting 2 months ago #197406

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months ago
I agree that if digital clipping is part of the original audio you can't get rid of it. However, Lightworks doesn't have the instruments to detect digital clipping.
Time to create page: 0.51 seconds
Scroll To Top