Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Can I re-import video into an edited timeline to restore the deleted audio tracks?

Can I re-import video into an edited timeline to restore the deleted audio tracks? 2 months, 2 weeks ago #194183

• og1char
  • Pro User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 2 months, 2 weeks ago
Hi,

I made an assumption and now it's bitten me. I need to re-import a video sequence and restore the video's deleted audio tracks without losing all the edits and cuts.

I had a video, I treated the audio with Audacity, imported the treated audio, matched waveforms and then foolishly deleted the video's audio tracks (won't do that again), made lots of edits and I noticed in playback within lightworks that some of the audio was not synced with the video. So I matched it by eye to the subject's lip movements. And now when I export the video the audio is out of sync with the video.

Can I restore the video's audio sections and still retain the edits so I can match waveforms by eye again?

I saw a post about audio lag when playback within the editor, and adding a fixed length of empty audio to push the sequence back into alignment but I can't find it again.

Any help appreciated.

Re: Can I re-import video into an edited timeline to restore the deleted audio tracks? 2 months, 2 weeks ago #194186

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months, 2 weeks ago
Hello,

I assume that you didn't delete clips from project contents, but just from the timeline. You can replace the originals into the timeline with 'Pop-out original' (N-key) and 'Replace' (B-key). If no J- and L-cuts are present that's quite fast.

First, make a copy of your sequence to work on.

Add empty audio tracks for the original audio, enable the added and disable all other tracks, except of the video track with the video which contains the sound. Jump with A/S-keys to the incoming cut of the first clip to replace, Press N-key, the clip is shown in 'Filters.Recent', double-click on it to open in the source viewer, press B-key to replace. Repeat for all others.

Edit: I forgot to mention, most important, remove all transitions on the clips to replace, to add them after replacing (and trimming, if J- or L-cuts are present). And, it doesn't work that easy on clips with speed changes.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 2 months, 2 weeks ago by hugly.

Re: Can I re-import video into an edited timeline to restore the deleted audio tracks? 2 months, 2 weeks ago #194187

• og1char
  • Pro User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 2 months, 2 weeks ago
hello to you too.
It seems to be working.

A very useful thing to know.

How is that replace clip sequence normally used in a "normal" workflow?

Re: Can I re-import video into an edited timeline to restore the deleted audio tracks? 2 months, 2 weeks ago #194188

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months, 2 weeks ago
I think that's the 'normal' workflow. You're surely not the first to delete something firmly convinced that it isn't needed anymore, just to detect later that it would to be useful to get it back in place.

I use N-key quite frequently for immediate access to the original clip from the timeline, B-key to replace existing sections with something else from the viewer without changing duration (or sync) of the edit.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 2 months, 2 weeks ago by hugly.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.25 seconds
Scroll To Top