Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Audio clip imported sounds deeper (& slower?)

Audio clip imported sounds deeper (& slower?) 1 week, 5 days ago #191092

Hello everyone. I am having a problem with my audio. An imported audio clip of a female voice plays in Lightworks in a way that sounds unnaturally deeper and slower.

As requested, here is the MediaInfo information:

Original Audio Track
(Created in GarageBand)
Audio
Format : MPEG Audio
File size : 23.4 MiB
Duration : 25mn 30s
Overall bit rate mode : Constant
Overall bit rate : 128 Kbps
Album : Gareth Thomas's Album
Track name : The Dead Room
Performer : Gareth Thomas
Composer : Gareth Thomas
Recorded date : 2019-01-05 14:56
BPM : 120
Format version : Version 1
Format profile : Layer 3
Format settings : Joint stereo / MS Stereo
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 128 Kbps
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Sampling rate : 44.1 KHz
Frame rate : 38.281 fps (1152 SPF)
Compression mode : Lossy
Stream size : 23.3 MiB (100%)

Lightworks
Free Version 14.5 Mac (OS Sierra 10.12.6)

I checked the forums for other users with the same problems, but I could not find any (I am a very inexperienced user, though).

This is strange, because I imported the audio track yesterday and it was fine (normal pitch). I exported it (without changing any settings) and it was fine.

But today, after importing some new images, it seems to have slowed down or deepened. I have tried deleting the audio track and importing it again, but every time I import it now, it is too deep.

Please let me know if I can provide any other information that may help.

Re: Audio clip imported sounds deeper (& slower?) 1 week, 5 days ago #191093

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 1 week, 5 days ago
Welcome to the forum.

Please could you paste the full text report from Mediainfo of all your media, it gives more details.

Have you tried importing your audio track as a 48kHz WAV file? You can convert it using Audacity.

Re: Audio clip imported sounds deeper (& slower?) 1 week, 5 days ago #191097

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 week, 5 days ago
It could be that this is sample rate issue of newer Apple computers running Mac OS when using headphones. If it is, it should be adjustable from system settings.

Do you use headphones?
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 1 week, 5 days ago by hugly.

Re: Audio clip imported sounds deeper (& slower?) 1 week, 5 days ago #191099

Thank you for your quick reply.

I just tried using Audacity but it did not work.

I used Audacity to create a 48KHz WAV from the original mp3. It sounds fine when I open it with iTunes. Unfortunately, when I imported the 48KHz WAV into my Lightworks project, the audio still sounds deeper.

Here is the MediaInfo data for the WAV file:
General
Complete name : [removed]
Format : Wave
File size : 280 MiB
Overall bit rate mode : Constant
Overall bit rate : 1 536 Kbps
Album : Gareth Thomas's Album
Track name : The Dead Room
Performer : Gareth Thomas
Composer : Gareth Thomas
Director : Gareth Thomas
Recorded date : UTC 2019-01-05 14:56
Writing application : GarageBand 5.1 (libsndfile-1.0.24)
Original source form/Name : Gareth Thomas's Album
Comment : 00000000 00000210 00000A08 0000000004058E68 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000
BPM (beats per minute) : 120
Software : GarageBand 5.1

Audio
Format : PCM
Format settings : Little / Signed
Codec ID : 1
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 1 536 Kbps
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Bit depth : 16 bits
Stream size : 280 MiB (100%)

I have included all the MediaInfo data in the text report for the mp3 above, except for the file path. It's a straight copy-paste, it just says "Audio" in the wrong place because of a typo.

Re: Audio clip imported sounds deeper (& slower?) 1 week, 5 days ago #191100

Hugly: Thank you for the quick reply.

I first noticed the problem on headphones, but I took the headphones out and played it again (and then deleted and re-imported the sound file, all without headphones) and it still has the same problem.

Re: Audio clip imported sounds deeper (& slower?) 1 week, 5 days ago #191102

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 week, 5 days ago
If the pitch shift appears to be severe, half-speed or more, it could be that your OS has switched system sample rate to 96 kHz, but Lightworks assumes it to be 48 kHz. It should be possible to avoid this kind of switching from system settings.
Last Edit: 1 week, 5 days ago by hugly.

Re: Audio clip imported sounds deeper (& slower?) 1 week, 5 days ago #191103

It isn't that severe - it's more like a normal adult female voice becomes weirdly throaty and deep, but nothing like half-speed.

That said: I think system sample rate for a Mac is in the Audio MIDI Setup? I checked this (Applications>Utilities) and under "Audio Devices" I have "Built-in Microphone", "Built-in Input" and "Built-in Output". They all have a separate "Format" drop-down menu, all currently set to 44.1KHz. Am I looking in the right place?

Re: Audio clip imported sounds deeper (& slower?) 1 week, 5 days ago #191104

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 week, 5 days ago
I think with Audio MIDI Setup you are in the right place. I'm currently on a MacBook Air from 2012 running High Sierra, so the panels might differ. Here all my output devices show 48 kHz 24 bit-bit integer and it works. Try and see if it helps. If you find any setting for automatic switching disable it.

Re: Audio clip imported sounds deeper (& slower?) 1 week, 5 days ago #191106

Fixed! (I think).

I reset the "Format" drop-down for the "Built-in Output" to "2 ch 24-bit integer 48.0 kHz". It seems fine now.

As an aside: when I changed the "Built-in Output" "Format" drop-down to any of the settings for 44.1 kHz, the file played in Lightworks sounded too deep. When I changed the "Built-in Output" "Format" drop-down to any of the settings for 88.2 kHz, the file voice sounded sped-up and like it was on Helium. So I think that's the answer.

I'm not clear how it got changed between yesterday and today. I'm also still unclear about what this is changing, and why it has an effect on Lightworks but not on iTunes or Audacity.

Re: Audio clip imported sounds deeper (& slower?) 1 week, 5 days ago #191107

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 week, 5 days ago
Good to hear that switching to 48 kHz fixed the issue. Now you know where to look if it happens again.

Referring to the difference between Lightworks and iTunes/Audacity, I suspect that Lightworks expects 48 kHz on OSX and does not check for system sample rate of the current output device in order to adapt, at least with more recent releases of OSX, but that's just guessing.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.30 seconds
Scroll To Top