Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: audio out of sync in exported file but not in Lightworks

audio out of sync in exported file but not in Lightworks 4 months, 1 week ago #178878

• chris.paget
  • Junior Boarder
  • 4 months, 1 week ago
Hello all-

I am finishing a video based around interviews, and syncing the audio has been an issue. From replacing the original camera audio with external audio (mp3s), then replacing those 40 mp3 clips again with wav versions.. and it's still out of sync when I export as an mp4, but completely fine when viewing in Lightworks.

Please, please, please.. Is there a straightforward solution to keeping the audio in sync, as in a better media type to export to? I'm just really trying to avoid having to download new software, reformat, or re-import at this point and need to get this thing finisheddd.

Thanks, so much!!

Re: audio out of sync in exported file but not in Lightworks 4 months, 1 week ago #178881

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 4 months, 1 week ago
Please follow the directions in this sticky, so that users can see the technical details of your video.

www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=23&id=66072&Itemid=81

Also, please don't double post, it just causes confusion for those replying to you.
Last Edit: 4 months, 1 week ago by briandrys.

Re: audio out of sync in exported file but not in Lightworks 4 months, 1 week ago #178887

• chris.paget
  • Junior Boarder
  • 4 months, 1 week ago
OK, will do. Actually was just not sure what forum it belongs in. But will keep it to one in the future!

Re: audio out of sync in exported file but not in Lightworks 4 months, 1 week ago #178889

• chris.paget
  • Junior Boarder
  • 4 months, 1 week ago
Summary of the exported file:

Format : MPEG-4
Format profile : Base Media / Version 2
Codec ID : mp42 (isom/mp42)
File size : 1.93 GiB
Duration : 17 min 4 s
Overall bit rate mode : Variable
Overall bit rate : 16.2 Mb/s
Encoded date : UTC 2018-06-13 15:13:33
Tagged date : UTC 2018-06-13 15:13:33

Video
ID : 1
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : High@L4
Format settings : CABAC / 3 Ref Frames
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, RefFrames : 3 frames
Codec ID : avc1
Codec ID/Info : Advanced Video Coding
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 16.0 Mb/s
Width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 30.000 FPS
Standard : NTSC
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.257
Stream size : 1.91 GiB (99%)
Language : English
Encoded date : UTC 2018-06-13 15:13:34
Tagged date : UTC 2018-06-13 15:13:34
Color range : Limited
Color primaries : BT.709
Transfer characteristics : BT.709
Matrix coefficients : BT.709

Audio
ID : 2
Format : AAC
Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec
Format profile : LC
Codec ID : mp4a-40-2
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 157 kb/s
Maximum bit rate : 360 kb/s
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Channel positions : Front: L R
Sampling rate : 48.0 kHz
Frame rate : 46.875 FPS (1024 SPF)
Compression mode : Lossy
Stream size : 19.1 MiB (1%)
Language : English
Encoded date : UTC 2018-06-13 15:13:34
Tagged date : UTC 2018-06-13 15:13:34

Re: audio out of sync in exported file but not in Lightworks 4 months, 1 week ago #178920

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 months, 1 week ago
Hello,

Technical data of exported files cannot contain evidence for causes of sync issues.

Could you post mediainfo of your footage (the original recordings, one for video, one for audio) together with information about your computer (OS version, CPU, RAM, GPU, HDD) and your recording gear (type/model of camera and audio recorder) please?
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 4 months, 1 week ago by hugly.

Re: audio out of sync in exported file but not in Lightworks 4 months, 1 week ago #178990

• chris.paget
  • Junior Boarder
  • 4 months, 1 week ago
Thanks for your reply, hugly.

I've attached the info for the project folder and another for my system info. I think I have what you need there, but let me know if I need to do it a different way. Was not sure how to do separate exports for audio and video of the project.

The camera I used is a Canon T3i / EOS Rebel and the recorder is a small handheld Sony Linear PCM recorder.

Basic system info: Windows 10 Pro, HP Pavilion dv7 Notebook PC, Intel Core i7 CPU @ 2.20GHz, 8 GB RAM, 64 bit OS
Attachments:
  • Attachment This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
  • Attachment This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Re: audio out of sync in exported file but not in Lightworks 4 months, 1 week ago #178992

• chris.paget
  • Junior Boarder
  • 4 months, 1 week ago
The GPU is an Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000

Re: audio out of sync in exported file but not in Lightworks 4 months, 1 week ago #178997

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 months, 1 week ago
Thank you.

There should be a solution for this.

Assuming that your recording devices stay in sync when recording, which should be the case with short recordings, and all your recordings have the same frame rate, 29.97 fps, you have to do two things.

1. Make sure that pre-ingest settings for audio-only media from context menu of Local Files is set to recording frame rate of your camera which is 29.97 fps, prior to import. If you are not sure which value was set prior to import or if the wrong value is shown, delete the audio clips from your project, set pre-ingest sync correctly, restart Lightworks and import the audio files.

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

2. Sync audio-only to video by watching the waveforms, do not sync by listening. Sound synced to picture this way may appear delayed in preview, but it will be in sync in exported file.

With 29.97 (and 30 fps) footage, I'd suggest using a 30 fps project and not 24 fps (mixed rates) to preserve all recorded frames in export.
Last Edit: 4 months, 1 week ago by hugly.

Re: audio out of sync in exported file but not in Lightworks 3 months, 4 weeks ago #179856

• chris.paget
  • Junior Boarder
  • 3 months, 4 weeks ago
I did try to pay attention to keeping all settings at 30 fps, as we had some footage from a phone where that came up. But I'm not sure I looked at the actual import settings.

The issue is occurring in the exported file only, whereas it's fine within the program, so I'm not sure option 2 would affect it, as it appears fine in preview.

So.. is there no way (other than the auto sync feature) to "lock" audio to video? I'm just nervous about deleting audio files and reimporting them as I might lose what audio goes with the video (previously I'd leave the old internal audio in to tell what was being said so I could reimport better audio in a new track, then delete the old track)

Re: audio out of sync in exported file but not in Lightworks 3 months, 4 weeks ago #179857

• chris.paget
  • Junior Boarder
  • 3 months, 4 weeks ago
So I would set the pre-ingest sync to 29.97, not 30 fps, which is the what the rate of the project is?

Re: audio out of sync in exported file but not in Lightworks 3 months, 4 weeks ago #179862

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 months, 4 weeks ago
Hello,

First, Lightworks V14.0 does not support variable frame rate of mobile phone recordings without the risk of sync issues. V14.5 supports mobile phone recordings much better, but switching versions when working on a project with a lot of already edited parts might make thing even worse.

Pre-ingest sync should be set to 29.97 for 29.97 footage (30 fps for 30 fps footage accordingly), no matter what project or export frame rate is selected. As far as I can remember, there's a bug with V14.0 which prevents setting proper pre-ingest sync under certain conditions (can't remember exactly what triggers that). Try both, and see what happens.
Last Edit: 3 months, 4 weeks ago by hugly.

Re: audio out of sync in exported file but not in Lightworks 3 months, 3 weeks ago #179892

• chris.paget
  • Junior Boarder
  • 3 months, 3 weeks ago
To clarify, there are only a couple of clips from the phone, and they only use video (at 30 fps), not audio from the phone.

Re: audio out of sync in exported file but not in Lightworks 3 months, 3 weeks ago #179893

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 months, 3 weeks ago
If you don't try syncing externally recorded audio to mobile phone that's ok.

Is there any progress so far?

Re: audio out of sync in exported file but not in Lightworks 3 months, 3 weeks ago #179895

• chris.paget
  • Junior Boarder
  • 3 months, 3 weeks ago
I'm actually just getting back to it this evening. Attempting to have it exported and finished by a work meeting tomorrow morning, but will likely just be able to get to some small final edits and end up using an hdmi to play right from my laptop to a bigger screen for the meeting. Doubt I'll have the audio thing worked out by then. Still playing totally in sync within the program!

Thanks for your replies. Will let you know what I find!

Re: audio out of sync in exported file but not in Lightworks 3 months, 3 weeks ago #179896

• chris.paget
  • Junior Boarder
  • 3 months, 3 weeks ago
Does the fact that it is behaving within the program but not when exported reveal anything?
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.95 seconds
Scroll To Top