Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Imported mp3 Audio Files At Strange Dissonant Pitch and Distorted

Imported mp3 Audio Files At Strange Dissonant Pitch and Distorted 3 months ago #174625

I've literally just downloaded LW and am running it on a Mac. Complete beginner. My aim is to create YouTube music channel videos, with a static image, a music track and an animated logo. The first thing I did was import an audio file, and it sounds incredibly weird! The pitch is way off and it seems distorted.

I've tried using a different frame rate for the project different audio files, different file formats, re-converting files, but it always sounds the same. I think changing the frame rate alters the sound of it slightly, but it's still dissonant and popping.

Any help would be massively appreciated because this seems like a great piece of software! Can't believe I'm falling at the first hurdle...

Imported mp3 Audio Files At Strange Dissonant Pitch and Distorted 3 months ago #174630

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 3 months ago
Welcome to the forum.

Have you tried importing a WAV file instead of MP3?

Audacity can do the conversion.

Imported mp3 Audio Files At Strange Dissonant Pitch and Distorted 3 months ago #174631

I have, sadly it was no better.

Imported mp3 Audio Files At Strange Dissonant Pitch and Distorted 3 months ago #174632

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 3 months ago
What are the audio levels like on this clip?

Imported mp3 Audio Files At Strange Dissonant Pitch and Distorted 3 months ago #174633

Absolutely fine, all the clips I've tried are music files, downloaded from Bandcamp.

Does audio need to be imported at a lower volume?

Imported mp3 Audio Files At Strange Dissonant Pitch and Distorted 3 months ago #174646

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 months ago
Audio doesn't need to be imported on lower volume.

Your initial description sounds like multiple problems at once.

Would you mind making a short screen recording showing pitch shift and distortion in Lightworks compared to playback in media player? Uploaded to Youtube maybe, not listed if possible?
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Imported mp3 Audio Files At Strange Dissonant Pitch and Distorted 3 months ago #174648

• SKova
  • Senior Boarder
  • 3 months ago
I would have to agree with Hugly, seeing something could help. I have imported MP3s with many of my videos and never have any issues with them. A short example could provide some clues.

Imported mp3 Audio Files At Strange Dissonant Pitch and Distorted 3 months ago #174714

Cool, I've filmed a quick clip of it: opening up LW, creating a new project, importing the first mp3, and then doing the same with a converted mp3, a wav, and then different project frame rates. For ease, I've uploaded it to Dropbox:

www.dropbox.com/s/jt4aymyfqf2j1d1/20180417-080354.mov?dl=0

Let me know if that's enough! I've imported audio through the 'log' section as well. Any suggestions welcome, but you may have to spell it out a little as I couldn't be more new to this stuff!
Last Edit: 3 months ago by Ambientologist.

Imported mp3 Audio Files At Strange Dissonant Pitch and Distorted 3 months ago #174715

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 months ago
Thank you for the video.

I'm not sure that this problem is caused by Lightworks.

Could you mind making one or two of the unconverted MP3 files as zipped archive downloadable somewhere? If necessary, protect the archive with a password and send me a PM.
Last Edit: 3 months ago by hugly.

Imported mp3 Audio Files At Strange Dissonant Pitch and Distorted 3 months ago #174718

Imported mp3 Audio Files At Strange Dissonant Pitch and Distorted 3 months ago #174735

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 months ago
Thank you for the files.

When playing on Window with foobar2000 over USB audio device, Powlos and Too Tired show audible spikes similar to digital clipping, some parts of In my Design sounds like analogue harmonic distortion added. That seems to me to be some kind of artistic freedom of New Age music.

The only file which sounds to my ears "normal" is Ona. Let's focus on that to optimize.

I assume the issue has something to do with some kind of problem with your audio device, maybe settings, maybe concurring access on the audio device from another appication, I don't know.

Please restart your computer, close all applications which potentially access the audio device, restart Lightworks and see what happens.

If the problem still persists post your computer details including possibly existing additional hardware.
Last Edit: 3 months ago by hugly.

Imported mp3 Audio Files At Strange Dissonant Pitch and Distorted 3 months ago #174743

• SKova
  • Senior Boarder
  • 3 months ago
When listening to them, 02 01100010.mp3 and Too tired.wav, have a static sound in them, like vinyl noise. Not sure if that is intentional or not. When I bring them into Lightworks, they sound the same as out. There has to be something on your setup with Lightworks that it is using for the audio that is causing the problem. You are running on a Mac, which I do not have enough familiarity to really help with it.

Imported mp3 Audio Files At Strange Dissonant Pitch and Distorted 2 months, 3 weeks ago #175174

• Ambientologist
  • Junior Boarder
  • 2 months, 3 weeks ago
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you guys, I've been incredibly busy with other projects (that, and the sun is out for once in the UK!) - I very much appreciate your quick help so far, and don't want you to think I'm abandoning your efforts!

I'm going on holiday now but I will take your suggestions as soon as I can, and get back to you. I do have an application called Boom 2, in order to boost the output level of my Mac - do you think this could be the problem? If it is, why would it be affecting the input volume of another application? I also don't know how it could affect the tonal qualities of the sound either, but maybe I don't know as much as I think I do about audio!

www.globaldelight.com/boom/mas-content/device-installer.php?type=install&deviceVerison=1.0&utm_source=boom2_mas_app&utm_medium=app&utm_campaign=boom2_v1_installer_download&language=de-DE
Last Edit: 2 months, 3 weeks ago by Ambientologist.

Imported mp3 Audio Files At Strange Dissonant Pitch and Distorted 2 months, 3 weeks ago #175176

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months, 3 weeks ago
Hello again,

I have no idea what causes the problem on your machine, but if I had the problem you're encountering I'd disable all third party software which operates on the audio chain in order to narrow down possible causes. I would use recordings without audible distortion to test with.
Last Edit: 2 months, 3 weeks ago by hugly.

Imported mp3 Audio Files At Strange Dissonant Pitch and Distorted 2 months, 1 week ago #176468

• Ambientologist
  • Junior Boarder
  • 2 months, 1 week ago
Uninstalling Boom seems to have done the trick! What a relief!

Thanks so much for your help everyone.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.41 seconds
Scroll To Top