Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Improve visuals of audio track

Improve visuals of audio track 8 months, 4 weeks ago #167650

• carl916
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 8 months, 4 weeks ago
Hi,

I am editing a video clip to which I already have music and want to sync the frames with the tempo of the music. The problem I am finding is that the visual representation of the audio track isn't giving me much indication as to where the clip change should be. The overall volume of the music is pretty consistent and the timeline marker whips along pretty quickly making it hard to pinpoint an exact point to change clips.

Is there any way I can enhance the audio track visuals? I can see that I can increase the height of the track panel (so it takes up more of the screen) which helps a bit.

Perhaps if I could view pitch/frequency then I might be able to identify when new instruments come in for example.

Many thanks,

Carl Gilbert

Re: Improve visuals of audio track 8 months, 4 weeks ago #167652

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 8 months, 4 weeks ago
Hello and welcome!

There are several adjustments for waveform contrast. You'll find them in timeline menu under "Timeline commands.Settings.Audio.Waveform contrast", but I suspect this won't help much if the music has highly compressed dynamics.

Try by listening while playing using cue markers (the green button on the viewer controls) to mark the cut points. Because of reaction time they will be shifted a bit to the right but the amount of frames of this delay should be pretty constant after a bit of practice.

.. And if the cut applied doesn't fit, you can trim each clip in frame steps easily in both directions.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 8 months, 4 weeks ago by hugly.

Re: Improve visuals of audio track 8 months, 4 weeks ago #167722

• Craig Marshall
  • Pro User
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 8 months, 4 weeks ago
I do this a lot and I assume you have already expended out the timeline to open up the music tracks. I generally do it in real time simply by clicking the 'Set In' key on the beat then trimming the Cut by using the 'Move Cut' key (in +/- one frame intervals) if required. The 'Preview' command here is your friend.

Oh and buy yourself a USB jog/shuttle controller, it really helps!
Custom Haswell z87 i7 3.9Ghz 4770
System SSD, 16TB Internal RAID 0, Cache SSD
16GB DDR3, Thunderbolt, Nvidia GTX 970 G1 Maxwell GPU
Lightworks Pro with DNxHD license
Resolve 15 with OxygenTec ProPanel
X-Keys Pro 68 key USB Jog/Shuttle controller
2 x 24" HD GUI, 24" 10bit Rec.709 IPS Monitor
12G Decklink 4K SDI Pro>HD-Link Pro>Display Port
Sony 55" X9005B 4K Client Monitor
Sony Super 35 HD camera with Atomos ProRes Recorder
4x4" matte box/follow focus. Zeiss 'Contax' FF primes with Metabones 'Speed Booster'
Rode NTG-3/I-Rig XLR Phantom preamp
HDvideo4K.com
Last Edit: 8 months, 4 weeks ago by Craig Marshall.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.32 seconds
Scroll To Top