• 8 months, 1 week ago
tubular bells
s

Re: Normalization 8 months, 1 week ago #166191

• geomcd1949
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 8 months, 1 week ago
Thank you @Khaver. My current TV doesn’t have an audio-gain setting, which will soon render it my ex-TV.

Dolby has a “thing” that is built into some TVs, set-top boxes, and home-theater equipment called Dolby Volume for Volume Control. Dolby describes this thing as:

“. . . an advanced digital signal processing technology for controlling playback volume. It evens out the volume level and improves your listening experience. Once you choose the level, Dolby Volume takes care of the rest. No more unwelcome blasts from commercials, no dialogue suddenly too soft to hear, and no volume differences when you change channels or switch sources. “

www.dolby.com/us/en/technologies/dolby-volume.html

Dolby also says about this:

“Dolby Volume goes well beyond providing a single, consistent volume level. It also maintains the original sonic balance of the mix, which is especially important when you're listening on a surround sound system. At any level you set, Dolby Volume makes sure you always hear the balance the content creator intended,”

which I don’t think is wholly accurate, because it says it delivers the balance the content creator intended, which is the problem originally complained of [for if the content creator didn’t engineer the improper sound levels across the piece, who did?].

@David – I don’t have either of those, but I did find a thing that might help others with the same complaint as mine. I watch Netflix, Prime, and YouTube through a Windows computer connected to a TV. If the TV is connected to the computer, open up Sound in the Control Panel (under "Hardware and Sound"). Then highlight your TV speakers, click Properties, and select the Enhancements tab. Check "Loudness Equalization" and hit Apply to turn this on.

I’m trying this now and will report back.
North Carolina, USA
Ubuntu 18.04 LTS
2x2.7 GHz E5-2680
500GB SSD and1TB HDD
64 GB DDR3 10600
Quadro K4200
~X-Keys Pro 68 key USB Jog/Shuttle controller
*Galaxy E5 with Filmic Plus*
*JVC GY-HM150*

Re: Normalization 8 months, 1 week ago #166193

• Jpaulbiss
  • Edu User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 8 months, 1 week ago
lghtwrks wrote:

a box to hear the green ones - www.elac.com/product/fs-407/ (still I can't afford ...) and others dali, ... audio is it's own tech / price.

s

I'll stick with my KEF's and NAD
Lenovo D30 Workstation,128GB ram, Nvidia L4000, 2xDell U2312HM, Ubuntu Studio 16.04 LTS LWKS 14.0, Lightworks Keyboard, Shuttle Pro 2 Lightworks Keyboard, Shuttle Pro 2 Now working

Re: Normalization 8 months, 1 week ago #166194

• lghtwrks
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 8 months, 1 week ago
still use an old NAD - was cheap, looks nice, sounds good ,)
s

Re: Normalization 8 months, 1 week ago #166195

• lghtwrks
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 8 months, 1 week ago
(just an cd player, not mono blocks)

Re: Normalization 8 months, 1 week ago #166196

• lghtwrks
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 8 months, 1 week ago
to get back @geomcd1949
I bought an "soundbar" (optical-in: tv or receiver) ($100), but it was worse.
the intention of the music was def. there, but the language: completely gone

Re: Normalization 8 months, 1 week ago #166199

• geomcd1949
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 8 months, 1 week ago
@lghtwrks – I enjoy the wide-ranging discussion, and learn much. Especially interesting is a Wikipedia article on The Loudness War: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudness_war. Also liked the Bells!
North Carolina, USA
Ubuntu 18.04 LTS
2x2.7 GHz E5-2680
500GB SSD and1TB HDD
64 GB DDR3 10600
Quadro K4200
*JVC GY-HM150*

Re: Normalization 8 months, 1 week ago #166211

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 8 months, 1 week ago
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudness_war

Loudness war is about compressing dynamics as much as possible in order to increase overall loudness as close as possible within the technical limits (and sometimes as shown in the list linked to by lghtwrks beyond that). At the end a trumpet sounds as loud as a triangle.

The phenomenon with DTS theatre sound is exactly the other way around. They try to increase dynamics. There, sometimes a closing door can be as loud as a gun shot.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 8 months, 1 week ago by hugly.

Re: Normalization 8 months, 1 week ago #166230

• geomcd1949
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 8 months, 1 week ago
@hugly -- Much appreciated. Point taken but not understood. Bottom-line question: Will a TV that incorporates the above-mentioned Dolby Volume for Volume Control www.dolby.com/us/en/technologies/dolby-volume.html cure the problem of having to use the remote to adjust volume in the same film or show because at various times the sound is too low or to high?
North Carolina, USA
Ubuntu 18.04 LTS
2x2.7 GHz E5-2680
500GB SSD and1TB HDD
64 GB DDR3 10600
Quadro K4200
*JVC GY-HM150*

Re: Normalization 8 months, 1 week ago #166233

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 8 months, 1 week ago
I believe it's intended to do exactly that, but how good that will sound is another question and depends on the quality of the audio system. Instead of buying a new TV, an extrernal sound system with integrated Dolby Volume is (could be) a less expensive way, but as mentioned by lghtwrks, it might sound strange sometimes. You have to listen to different sources/channels and compare systems to find out.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 8 months, 1 week ago by hugly.

Re: Normalization 8 months, 1 week ago #166235

• geomcd1949
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 8 months, 1 week ago
@hugly and lghtwrks -- All of life is tradeoffs. Many thanks.
North Carolina, USA
Ubuntu 18.04 LTS
2x2.7 GHz E5-2680
500GB SSD and1TB HDD
64 GB DDR3 10600
Quadro K4200
*JVC GY-HM150*

Re: Normalization 8 months, 1 week ago #166276

• donkpow
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 8 months, 1 week ago
On the original topic, sound presentation for film and television is a complex topic. More than the simple "Loudness Wars" being considered. You are looking at dynamic range and how the sound image is manipulated to "make sense" to the viewer. Add to that the complexity of the variety of systems used to present film, video, etc. and the "tuning" involved in sound systems for cinemas, etc.

Maybe the sound track is produced incorrectly but I suspect things have more to do with how the show is presented.

For a little history, look up "academy sound" (1938) and "DCI" (2002).
HP Z600 5570
PNY Quadro K620
SB Audigy SE
Windows 7 Pro
ShuttlePRO v2

Re: Normalization 8 months, 1 week ago #166318

• Jpaulbiss
  • Edu User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 8 months, 1 week ago
hugly wrote:
I believe it's intended to do exactly that, but how good that will sound is another question and depends on the quality of the audio system. Instead of buying a new TV, an extrernal sound system with integrated Dolby Volume is (could be) a less expensive way, but as mentioned by lghtwrks, it might sound strange sometimes. You have to listen to different sources/channels and compare systems to find out.

I can not imagine watching an epic video, for that matter any video expecting any kind of sound with the built in TV speakers.
I got spoilt in another lifetime when I was selling Dynacord. I acquired a taste for quality. When we built our house I wired the living room for surround sound and the other rooms for stereo, installed a NAD T743 A/V amp and 6 KEF speakers in the living room.
After living in Germany for over 20 years I forgot that Canadian houses are made out of tooth picks and paper mache. When the volume is cranked up the neighbours house starts to act as a resonance board and my cowboy boots beat my shins black and blue.
But then it is only Rpck 'n Roll
Lenovo D30 Workstation,128GB ram, Nvidia L4000, 2xDell U2312HM, Ubuntu Studio 16.04 LTS LWKS 14.0, Lightworks Keyboard, Shuttle Pro 2 Lightworks Keyboard, Shuttle Pro 2 Now working

Re: Normalization 8 months, 1 week ago #166322

• avid-words
  • Senior Boarder
  • 8 months, 1 week ago
turnmeup.org is all about the loudness wars, albeit as it relates to the music industry.

Re: Normalization 8 months, 1 week ago #166329

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 8 months, 1 week ago
But geomcd1949 wants to compress his sound monitoring. That article and the articles to which it links are all about expanding the dynamic range, not compressing it.
Last Edit: 8 months, 1 week ago by jwrl.
Time to create page: 0.42 seconds
Scroll To Top