Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: V14 How to set Audio Levels & Fades

V14 How to set Audio Levels & Fades 3 years, 3 months ago #144324

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 3 years, 3 months ago
In the fixed layout you need to be in the audio tab for sound adjustments.

Open the timeline menu, select appearance, check that show levels is ticked.

FLEXIBLE
You have to press shift first (a vertical two ended arrow appears), then hold left click (cross appears) and drag. This will change the audio level in the flexible layout. The scroll wheel no longer adjusts audio levels.

Use shift with left click when <---> appears in the top corner at the end of a clip appears, drag for the fade in and out.

FIXED
In the fixed layout you need to be in the audio section (last tab at the top of the screen) before you can adjust any audio levels etc.

For level adjustments, left click hold and drag (no shift) when the vertical double ended arrow appears. The Scroll wheel will also change the audio level if you place a single node on the level line.

A single left click creates a node.

Left click hold drag (no shift) when <---> appears in the top corner at the end of a clip appears, then drag for the fade in and out.

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

RULE IS USE SHIFT WITH FLEXIBLE, NO SHIFT WITH FIXED.
Last Edit: 3 years, 3 months ago by briandrys.

Re: V14 How to set Audio Levels & Fades 3 years, 3 months ago #144325

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 years, 3 months ago
-- May I add that Shift key in Edit mode of Fixed layout enables audio level adjustments as well, and selected nodes can be moved even without holding Shift key down. Mouse wheel adjustment of selected nodes isn't possible in Edit mode of fixed layout, same as in Flexible layout. (These minor inconsistencies might change possibly in a future bug fix release).

.. The new command "Toggle timeline audio levels" assigned to a keyboard shortcut can be used to toggle audio level adjustment mode permanently, applicable in Flexible and Edit mode of Fixed layout.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 3 years, 3 months ago by hugly.

Re: V14 How to set Audio Levels & Fades 3 years, 2 months ago #148613

• Brotuulaan
  • Gold Boarder
  • 3 years, 2 months ago
Just had a strange bug with the fade at the beginning of a clip:

Holding Shift caused the horizontal arrow to appear, but no change was made to the audio when clicking and dragging. The volume adjust still worked (vertical arrow), so I moved to the end of the clip to try moving the fade out. It worked as it was supposed to, so I tried the fade in again and it worked.

So if anyone's having trouble with a fade-in or -out, try using the other one then coming back. It worked for me and might work for you.

P.S. I don't know if a LW reboot (or backing out of the project) would have corrected this. It was a lot faster to scroll over and experiment, so I never tried it.
Primary computer - Dell Optiplex 3010:
Windows 10 x64, Intel Core i5-3470 @3.2GHz (4 cores), NVIDIA GT 430

Secondary computer - Custom Desktop:
WIndows 8.1 x64, ASUS P8z77-i Deluxe MoBo, Intel Core i7-3770k processor, Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR3 RAM 16GB (2 x 8GB), ASUS GTX 670 GPU, Corsair AX 650 PSU

Peripherals:
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 audio interface, Microsoft Sidewinder x6 keyboard, Logitech M500 mouse, ASUS VS229H-P monitor, Dell E207WFP monitor

Re: V14 How to set Audio Levels & Fades 3 years, 1 month ago #150335

• DJK Media
  • Pro User
  • Junior Boarder
  • 3 years, 1 month ago
Still confused here. When the double vertical arrows appear WHAT do I click and drag on? It defies logic to click and drag on those arrows since they're not the audio level which is horizontal...as far as I'm aware...

I'm a relative newbie to Lightworks having spent years on other systems but no longer able to afford them.

The latest upgrade of Lightworks (v.14), I find mostly excellent and intuitive, but a few confusing bits...

Re: V14 How to set Audio Levels & Fades 3 years, 1 month ago #150337

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 years, 1 month ago
When the double vertical arrows appear WHAT do I click and drag on?

Assuming you're in Audio mode of Fixed layout (no need for shift key):

To make level lines visible you need enabling them from timeline menu "Timeline Commands.Appearance.Audio.Show levels".

When white double-vertical arrow appears, you can use mouse-wheel to upper/lower level of the entire clip, even when nodes are present. When you click on the level line with double-vertical arrow visible a new node is added. When a crossed double arrow appears you can drag existing single node or selected groups of nodes with the mouse. To select nodes lasso them with the mouse, to disable a selected group click on timeline, to delete selected group use X-key (or <DEL>-key).

Different from V12.6 there's no vertical and horizontal lock for nodes dragged with the mouse (currently with V14.0). Mouse-wheel operations are by nature horizontally locked.

Using audio mixer allows level adjustment of complete tracks on the timeline. Clip Gain adjustment is only available in Flexible layout (as known from V12), but adjustments there carry over to Fixed layout (currently)
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 3 years, 1 month ago by hugly.

Re: V14 How to set Audio Levels & Fades 3 years, 1 month ago #150367

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 3 years, 1 month ago
You use appearance, found in the timeline menu to select the options displayed in the audio track.

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.32 seconds
Scroll To Top