Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

TOPIC: New Assistant Application - AVFlow v1.1

New Assistant Application - AVFlow v1.1 5 years, 4 months ago #92601

• khaver
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 years, 4 months ago
This assistant application uses Avisynth and plugins along with a few other utilities to generate motion interpolated frame rate speed changes or ramping.

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

This is release version 1.0. Feedback is welcome. The attached zip file includes everything needed to run AVFlow.

Note: This is for Windows only.

AVFlow-v11.zip updated 2017-04-04 Fixed a few bugs
This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

password: khaver

This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
Work Comp: Retired!
Home Comp: Newer! Bigger! Faster!
Send me a tip: paypal.me/4khaver
Last Edit: 3 years, 5 months ago by khaver.

Re: New Assistant Application - AVFlow v0.1 5 years, 4 months ago #92622

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 5 years, 4 months ago
Editshare should put you on the payroll, khaver!

Re: New Assistant Application - AVFlow v0.1 5 years, 4 months ago #92642

• Wim
  • Pro User
  • Gold Boarder
  • 5 years, 4 months ago
I fully agree with jwrl, particularly after your long list of fine effects for LW users and certainly not to forget your first Ass. Appl. VDub!
I hope to get this nice "AVFlow" also alive on my machine but no succes so far.

LW version 12.5.A on W7 x64; installation AVFlow att.1), clip transcoded att.2) , list sources ok att.3), result att.4). Obviously a codec issue?
Cheers, Wim
Attachments:
  • Attachment This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
  • Attachment This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Re: New Assistant Application - AVFlow v0.1 5 years, 4 months ago #92643

• PaulKerry
  • Expert Boarder
  • 5 years, 4 months ago
Khaver, please forgive what may appear to be a daft question.

What exactly do you mean by "motion interpolation" ?
I know what interpolation means (To determine the value of one datum based on the values of the data which bound said datum - eg. In the sequence 1,2,3,x,5,6,7 we can interpolate x to be 4 - okay, not exactly the formal definition but probably accurate enough for a biscuit, and I know that it has many applications, especially within the world of computers).
If your process could also be termed "Motion Compensated Frame Interpolation", then I think I understand.

Paul..

Re: New Assistant Application - AVFlow v0.1 5 years, 4 months ago #92646

• khaver
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 years, 4 months ago
Wim wrote:
I hope to get this nice "AVFlow" also alive on my machine but no succes so far.

Wim, Congrats! You found the first bug, and it was big. It was using the wrong function to decode the video. I unknowingly had the function installed where Avisynth is installed so AVFlow was happily using it during my testing. This morning, after seeing your post, I found the function and disabled it and AVFlow came up with the same error you got. I've now fixed this and have updated the zip file in the first post. So you don't have to download the whole thing again, I've included a zip of just the new AVFlow.exe file. Unzip and overwrite the old file.

attachment deleted

P.S. I'm beginning to have more sympathy for Microsoft.
Last Edit: 5 years, 4 months ago by khaver.

Re: New Assistant Application - AVFlow v0.1 5 years, 4 months ago #92647

• khaver
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 years, 4 months ago
PaulKerry wrote:
If your process could also be termed "Motion Compensated Frame Interpolation", then I think I understand.

Paul..

Paul, Yes, this is what AVFlow does, but it allows you to do it variably, so you can start out at normal speed and slowly (or quickly) change the speed, all the way down to a freeze frame if you want, then ramp the speed back up to normal.

Re: New Assistant Application - AVFlow v0.1 5 years, 4 months ago #92649

• PaulKerry
  • Expert Boarder
  • 5 years, 4 months ago
Thanks, Khaver.

I found the term confusing because I was trying to work out how motion could be interpolated (in the context of frames of video).
If someone had shown me a video of (for example) a bouncing ball and then shown the results of a slo-mo clip which had undergone such processing and had asked me to provide a term for the process, I might have used "position interpolation" or even "tweening".

I can see your utility being very useful for me as my cameras are not capable of shooting at anything other than their native PAL framerate (25fps), making slow-motion clips appear a little jerky.

So, by my understanding, I could take a clip of 50 frames lasting two seconds, reduce it to half-speed to give me a slow-motion clip lasting four seconds and using your utility, I would end up with 100 frames which will play back smoothly at 25fps. This, I really have to see.
I applaud you.

Paul..

Re: New Assistant Application - AVFlow v0.1 5 years, 4 months ago #92654

• khaver
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 years, 4 months ago
Paul, it is like tweening.

And by the way, I didn't come up with the Avisynth plugin that creates the in-between frames. I just came up with the way to change the frame rate variably.

Here's how it works. There is an Avisynth function someone wrote (Interframe) that uses the plugins someone else wrote (svpflow1.dll and svpflow2.dll) to change the framerate of video clips using motion compensation. My program takes the length of the defined section of the effect (those frames that are referenced in the sources-list.txt file) and multiplies it by 1000. So, if you have 40 frames marked in the effect, you end up with 40000 frames, most being "tween" frames. AVFlow then calculates which frames need to be output based on the curve you create in the graph. It then writes out these frames to a text file. AVFlow then writes an Avisynth script that uses the Interframe function to create 1000 new frames between every frame, but because of the way Avisynth works, it will only process frames that actually need to be output. The tween frames are only virtual frames until another function calls for them. That's where the Avisynth plugin FrameSel comes into play. It's function is also added to the script after the Interframe function which reads in the text file containing the list of frames that need to be output, so Avisynth only processes those frames that are listed in the text file. This Avisynth script is then fed into ffmbc to encode the new, motion compensated clip.

Re: New Assistant Application - AVFlow v0.1 5 years, 4 months ago #92660

• PaulKerry
  • Expert Boarder
  • 5 years, 4 months ago
I still applaud you.

Now, if you can create a plugin which constantly outputs SMPTE LTC from the PC audio hardware, I'd be an extremely happy bunny because although striping works very well at normal playback speeds, it fails at anything else.
My desk (and my rack-based timepiece) output LTC even when stopped and thus perform a little more like VITC than LTC in practice.
Ideally, I'd love to be able to drive LW from the LTC from my desk (allowing me to use my usual transport controls) but that's probably a tall order.

Because I have issues with the synch between audio and video when editing, striping is useless for me until I can resolve the issue. A plugin would completely eliminate the problem. It would allow me to edit video whilst still having the audio in the desk locked to the video timeline without having to export chunks of video every time I want to perform some synch-critical action.
I had no such problems using Vegas on an old 1Ghz Celeron with 1Gb of RAM so I find it really disappointing that LW is being such a pain in the botty for me and I am doubtful that I will be able to replace my current machine with something more suitable before my next serious edit / post-production session.

I've installed AVFlow and I'm trying to find a decent test clip.
Why is it that AVFlow only asks about output format once?
What is the procedure if I change my mind at a later stage?

Paul..

Re: New Assistant Application - AVFlow v0.1 5 years, 4 months ago #92663

• khaver
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 years, 4 months ago
Paul, sorry I can't help you regarding an audio plugin for LTC. As far as I know, there is no audio plugin mechanism in Lightworks at this time.

Regarding the AVFlow output format, since this is just a beta version, I didn't want to over complicate setting up and running it. A better method of changing or resetting the output format will be added later. For now you will need to use regedit and go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\LWAssApp\AVFlow and delete the "render" key. Next time you launch AVFlow it will ask you for the desired output format and set it in the registry again.

Re: New Assistant Application - AVFlow v0.1 5 years, 4 months ago #92664

• PaulKerry
  • Expert Boarder
  • 5 years, 4 months ago
I understand. Thanks.

I guess that by the time that I ever do change my mind about output formats, you'll have got that nailed down.

I'd like to express my desire for image sequence as an output format if and when you are able.

Paul..

Re: New Assistant Application - AVFlow v0.1 5 years, 4 months ago #92667

• khaver
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 years, 4 months ago
PaulKerry wrote:
I'd like to express my desire for image sequence as an output format if and when you are able.

That will probably be an option in the future.

Re: New Assistant Application - AVFlow v0.1 5 years, 4 months ago #92669

• Wim
  • Pro User
  • Gold Boarder
  • 5 years, 4 months ago
Hi khaver, preview works! Although the marked section is just only 40 frames, the speed reduction of the life saving boat is visible. But when it comes to rendering I can just see a glimpse of it. When I repeat it over and over I can see (in that glimpse)that the location is as I determend indeed, but the file does not land in that location. Any idea? Btw, the way of changing the first zip file was very smart. Cheers, Wim
Attachments:

Re: New Assistant Application - AVFlow v0.1 5 years, 4 months ago #92672

• khaver
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 years, 4 months ago
I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "the file does not land in that location". You've added AVFlow to 40 frames on the edit. The "Source" preview in AVFlow shows those 40 frames. In the graph you created a speed change going from normal speed to 0.4x and back to normal speed. You clicked the "Flow" button and the new preview clip is 52 frames long. When you play the preview you can see the speed dip. You then Render the clip and return to Lightworks. There, you replace the marked section of video with the new clip. Because you originally marked 40 frames and the new clip is 52 frames you will need to slide the cut at the end of the replaced section on the timeline until you reach the end of the new clip. This is easy to see because when you unjoin the cut you get a dual viewer where the left side shows the clip you are working with and the right viewer shows the first frame of the next clip. When you reach the end of the new clip, the left viewer will turn black. Just frame step backwards until it shows the last frame of the new clip.

Is this what you've done?
Last Edit: 5 years, 4 months ago by khaver.

Re: New Assistant Application - AVFlow v0.1 5 years, 4 months ago #92675

• Wim
  • Pro User
  • Gold Boarder
  • 5 years, 4 months ago
You then Render the clip and return to Lightworks. There, you replace the marked section of video with the new clip.

Yep, that's what I did. I selected "replace with media" (the same method as in VDub) but no rendered "new clip" present in the output directory. Wim

Edit: Rendering does not work as you described under 9) in your pdf
Attachments:
Last Edit: 5 years, 4 months ago by Wim.
Time to create page: 0.42 seconds
Scroll To Top