Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

TOPIC: User Effects files (Post #1 has them all)

Re: User Effects grouped by category and subcategory 5 months, 4 weeks ago #162597

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 5 months, 4 weeks ago
It's my pleasure.
Last Edit: 5 months, 4 weeks ago by jwrl.

Re: User Effects grouped by category and subcategory 5 months, 3 weeks ago #162803

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 months, 3 weeks ago
Does anyone know how to verify a 10-bit end-to-end workflow without a 10-bit monitor?
In other words, the answer to the question: 10-bit in, what comes out?

I found on this page some downloadable test files which might help, but I don't know how to measure colour values selectively in Lightworks.

studiohanneman.com/blog/2017/08/08/bit-depth-test-chart/
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 5 months, 3 weeks ago by hugly.

Re: User Effects grouped by category and subcategory 5 months, 3 weeks ago #162831

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 months, 3 weeks ago
Measuring within the effect pipeline (routing) would be possible with test effects, with the risk that the test effect itself changes the color depth.

I can not say anything about what happens after the effects.

Unless you succeed in a 16 bit export, reimport, and measurement by an effect
(if we measured that everything works, then we would have a clearly positive result).
But if only 8 bits are measured, then I could not say at which point exactly the color depth was lost.
Mainly automatically translated
--------------------------------------------
Windows 10, 64 Bit
Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz) ; Intel HD Graphics 4600

Re: User Effects grouped by category and subcategory 5 months, 3 weeks ago #162833

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 months, 3 weeks ago
Thanks.

For the moment I'll try using third party apps (Photoshop, Resolve, Vegas, whatever) to inspect the exported files. Will take a while to find the right instruments.

As far as I know, currently 10-bit export is possible with DPX, XAVC-Intra, and Cineform on Window, and most likely ProRes on OSX.

If anybody is aware of other 10-bit export options in Lightworks (not in general) please tell.

Edit: There is no 16-bit export option I'm aware of. Except of 10-bit DPX, all other image sequences are 8-bit.

Re: User Effects files 5 months, 3 weeks ago #162927

• jocablues
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 5 months, 3 weeks ago
Thank you

Re: User Effects files 5 months, 3 weeks ago #163088

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 5 months, 3 weeks ago
I just cannot leave the lumakey alone! This is yet another revision, after which I very much doubt that I'll ever want to revisit this effect again!

This is an effect based on one that I've had in my toolkit for quite a while. It's a keyer which uses an algorithm originally derived from Editshare's Lumakey effect, but the implementation is entirely my own. It's called "Lumakey with DVE" (LumakeyDVE.fx), and differs from the Editshare version in that a DVE and simple cropping has been added to give it these often-needed functions without the need to use external effects.

The key section of the effect has two means of creating an alpha channel for the foreground image. The alpha channel produced by the keyer can either replace the existing foreground alpha channel or can be gated with it. It can then optionally be used to key the foreground over the background or passed on to be used with other effects. In this latter mode any background image will be suppressed.

With this keyer I have also changed the naming conventions of the user parameters. Unlike the Editshare version, "Tolerance" is now called "Key clip", "Edge Softness" is "Key softness" and "Invert" has become "Invert key". These are the industry standard names used for these functions, so this change makes the effect more consistent with existing tools. Key softness, instead of being calculated entirely from within the keyed area as Editshare does is now produced symmetrically around the key boundaries. This behaviour is also more consistent with the way that a traditional analog luminance keyer works. The layout and labelling is shown below.

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Finally, regardless of whether the key is inverted or not, the clip setting always works from black at 0% to white at 100%. In the Lightworks effect the equivalent setting, tolerance, changes sense when the key is inverted. This can be unexpected and for that reason is not used here.

The crop and DVE sections are extremely simple. The DVE uses X, Y and Z positioning in a similar way to the 3D DVE effect. The only difference is that scaling works on Z-axis offset, not position. Cropping can be set up by dragging the upper left and lower right corners of the crop on the edit viewer, or in the normal way by dragging the sliders. The idea for this technique came from gr00by, and is one that I have copied before. The crop is a plain square hard edged one.

So download LumakeyDVE.fx.zip to get it. What are you waiting for?

[EDIT] Observant users will note that this effect has been renamed from "Lumakey with crop". You're right, it has been. I added the DVE component, so I lied when I said that I very much doubt that I'll ever want to revisit this effect again.
Last Edit: 1 month, 4 weeks ago by jwrl.

Re: User Effects files 5 months, 3 weeks ago #163097

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 months, 3 weeks ago
jwrl wrote:
So download LumakeyCrop.fx.zip to get it. What are you waiting for?

Got it!

Re: User Effects files 5 months, 3 weeks ago #163150

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 months, 3 weeks ago
Crop is very useful when using overlays with aspect ratio different from project settings - thanks!

Re: User Effects files 5 months, 2 weeks ago #163366

• Canal Studios
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 5 months, 2 weeks ago
whenever i try to import these effects i just get an error message "compilation failed (no valid techniques or category/name not found)"

i've followed the instructions from the top of this thread so i'm completely lost now. please do help

Re: User Effects files 5 months, 2 weeks ago #163368

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 months, 2 weeks ago
Welcome.

I assume you have downloaded "LumakeyCrop.fx.zip"?

The installation works on my PC.
Which OS and Lightworks version do you use?

Did you try to download the file again?
Windows 10, 64 Bit

Re: User Effects files 5 months, 2 weeks ago #163441

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 5 months, 2 weeks ago
When you say "these effects" it suggests that you've tried with more than one. Could you please tell us the effect(s) you have trouble with, and the operating system and the version of Lightworks that you're using? There are over two hundred user effects and most of them have been through rigorous cross-platform checking in the last few months without this issue appearing.

We also need as much information as you can give about the error message. Is that the only one? Usually you will also see a message along the lines of

"[EFFECTS PATH*]MyEffect.fx(77,4): error X3004: undeclared identifier 'foo'"

That will tell us precisely the nature of the error, what line of code it's in and where in the line it is. Just "Compilation failed" isn't a great deal of help.

* [EFFECTS PATH] will be the path the effects are compiled from on your computer. For example, on Windows 10 it is C:\Users\Public\Documents\Lightworks\Effects Templates\ and instead of "MyEffect.fx" you will see the name of the effect you're attempting to compile.
Last Edit: 5 months, 2 weeks ago by jwrl.

Re: User Effects files 5 months, 2 weeks ago #163705

• Canal Studios
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 5 months, 2 weeks ago
apologies for the late reply.

i've actually managed to sort everything out .. i simply moved the effects from their folders and it's all good now

Re: User Effects files 5 months, 2 weeks ago #163820

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 5 months, 2 weeks ago
That's still a little puzzling. You should be able to compile an effect from the original folder. The first thing that should happen is that Lightworks copies the effect to the Effect Templates folder. But at least you're up and running.

And now here are three related effects. The first, "The twister" (Wx_Twister.fx) is a dissolve/wipe that uses trigonometric distortions to perform a rippling twist to transition between two images. An MP4 to show what the effect does is under the screen grab, and the zip file containing the effect is under that.

This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Wx_Twister.fx.zip

The second, "Composite twister" (Cx_Twister.fx) is the composite version of the twister.

Cx_Twister.fx.zip

Finally, "Alpha twister" (Adx_Twister.fx) uses the same trigonometric distortion to perform a rippling twist to establish or remove an alpha image. The range of possible effect variations obtainable with differing combinations of settings is almost infinite.

Adx_Twister.fx.zip
Last Edit: 5 months, 2 weeks ago by jwrl.

Re: User Effects files 5 months, 1 week ago #164387

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 months, 1 week ago
I consider the fact that manually entered values with more than two decimals are first accepted, but truncated after re-entering a field by clicking on it in order to edit or copy, as a major flaw. For example, "0.12345" is truncated to "0.12" after re-entering the filed. The formerly entered additional decimals are lost and the truncated values are applied to the related parameter.

Is it possible to correct this behaviour using a switch I'm not aware of, is it maybe avoidable from within user-effects, or is it simply the way the effects GUI works?

Re: User Effects files 5 months, 1 week ago #164391

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 months, 1 week ago
hugly wrote:
... or is it simply the way the effects GUI works?
So it is my knowledge.
In some of my user effects, I used two sliders for a parameter (normal and fine). Because it makes the settings more complex, it's just an exception.
Windows 10, 64 Bit
Time to create page: 0.61 seconds
Scroll To Top