Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

TOPIC: User Effects files (Post #1 has them all)

Re: User Effects grouped by category and subcategory 9 months ago #162378

• aswinkrishna
  • Pro User
  • Junior Boarder
  • 9 months ago
anyone kindly build a video strobe effect like avid or FCP strobe

Re: User Effects grouped by category and subcategory 9 months ago #162436

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 9 months ago
As I think you have been answered in the past, aswinkrishna, it's not possible to create an Avid-style strobe because the effects system cannot store frames. And for those who don't know it, an Avid-style strobe is a series of successive freeze frames. For example, a two frame strobe plays a frame, repeats it, drops the next, plays the third, repeats it, and so on. And that we can't do.

There is a way that you could do it by writing macros. The simplest way would be to prepare the timeline for the sequence that you want to treat by creating one macro that consists of the following.

Name=Strobe two frame cut
Description=This macro advances two frames then places a cut in the timeline
Commands=Empty cut(1),Forward Nudge(2)

You would then run that over the section of the timeline where you want your strobe effect. Then you would go back to the start of the sequence and run this macro.

Name=Strobe freeze
Description=This macro freezes the current clip then advances to the next cut
Commands=Freeze frame(1),Right(1)

You would then have exactly the same result as a two frame strobe in Avid. If you need a three frame strobe, simply change the number in brackets after the forward nudge command in the first macro.

For an explanation of how to create and use macros, check out USEFUL LIGHTWORKS MACROS.
Last Edit: 9 months ago by jwrl.

Re: User Effects grouped by category and subcategory 9 months ago #162447

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 9 months ago
If using LW as Pro you could also increase the speed of a section - Timeline render that - then decrease the speed of that render.
So for a 2 frame 'strobe' 200% speed will drop every second frame - render - play the render at 50% to play each frame twice.

Work out the maths for other speeds, perhaps you may achieve something close to what you want??
BETA System
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64BIT
HP Z800 Workstation

Re: User Effects grouped by category and subcategory 9 months ago #162451

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 9 months ago
jwrl wrote:
And for those who don't know it, an Avid-style strobe is a series of successive freeze frames. For example, a two frame strobe plays a frame, repeats it, drops the next, plays the third, repeats it, and so on.

Just a question of a programming dummy:

Now with V14.1 there's a variable for the frame count within an effect, if I understood correctly.
Assuming that V1 is copied to V2 and V2 shifted by one frame to the right, would it be possible to access V1 at first frame, V2 at second frame, V1 at third frame, V2 at forth frame, and so on?
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 9 months ago by hugly.

Re: User Effects grouped by category and subcategory 9 months ago #162452

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 9 months ago
Someone want to try?

Re: User Effects grouped by category and subcategory 9 months ago #162454

• gr00by
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 9 months ago
Will be possible to store previous frame in GPU for reading? It would be nice to have a possibility to read it's pixel data. Maybe adding such feature is simpler than playing with two shifted tracks?

BTW: is possible to read nearby pixels (from same frame)?
Canon C100 -- Manjaro Linux User

Re: User Effects grouped by category and subcategory 9 months ago #162458

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 9 months ago
gr00by wrote:
Will be possible to store previous frame in GPU for reading?

Not at the moment, no. In theory it could be possible, but we currently can't do that. I'm not even sure how you would go about it.

gr00by wrote:
is possible to read nearby pixels (from same frame)?

Definitely. Any of the DVE effects already do. So do blurs and sharpens.

Re: User Effects grouped by category and subcategory 8 months, 4 weeks ago #162470

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 8 months, 4 weeks ago
gr00by wrote:
BTW: is possible to read nearby pixels (from same frame)?

Details: click
Mainly automatically translated
--------------------------------------------
Windows 10, 64 Bit
Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz) ; Intel HD Graphics 4600

Re: User Effects grouped by category and subcategory 8 months, 4 weeks ago #162472

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 8 months, 4 weeks ago
hugly wrote:
...Now with V14.1 there's a variable for the frame count within an effect, if I understood correctly.
Assuming that V1 is copied to V2 and V2 shifted by one frame to the right, would it be possible to access V1 at first frame, V2 at second frame, V1 at third frame, V2 at forth frame, and so on?

It would probably work.
The only problem is that it is more complicated to handle than simply using a macro. Or did you want to synchonize it with other effects?

[EDIT:] Remember, the longer it should be frozen, the more tracks you need.
For macros, one track is enough.
Windows 10, 64 Bit
Last Edit: 8 months, 4 weeks ago by schrauber.

Re: User Effects files (Post #1 has them all) 8 months, 4 weeks ago #162476

Thanks for these cool effects (I especially like glint, the the iris blurs with bokeh's and the curvi distortions)

But Why do these effects lag, and eventually crash Lightworks for me? When i try to move a slider (glint effect for example) it'l sometimes freeze and never recover.

Re: User Effects files (Post #1 has them all) 8 months, 4 weeks ago #162483

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 8 months, 4 weeks ago
Welcome,

The Glint effect causes a very high GPU load.
There are some triks to relieve the GPU:

Check the "Output Format" in the project settings.
This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

The smaller the format, the less the GPU has to compute during playback.
720p is usually ideal for free users, because that's the maximum export format. If there are problems with that, you can try Pal 16: 9 or NTSC 16: 9. Because these are interlaced formats, that's not ideal, and should be reset to 720p afterwards.

Precidion: 8-bit

In addition, you can set the preview window as small as possible.

In addition, you can use proxies, but this mainly relieves the CPU.

There are also programs that show the GPU usage.
Windows 10, 64 Bit
Last Edit: 8 months, 4 weeks ago by schrauber.

Re: User Effects files (Post #1 has them all) 8 months, 4 weeks ago #162513

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 8 months, 4 weeks ago
I have done more work on the lumakeyer previously called "Lumakey plus". I wasn't happy with the keyer mode descriptions, which I felt were confusing. I also discovered that, depending on alpha channel/luma values in the original image, the combined alpha and lumakey result could be unexpected. Finally I felt that the Amount setting should apply to both the lumakey and alpha components when they were combined where previously it had just applied to the lumakey component.

The revised effect is called "Lumakey enhanced" (LumakeyEnh.fx), and the cosmetic changes look like this.

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

The Lumakey mode is your standard luminance key clip, as described in my earlier post #161458. Lumakey and Fg alpha uses whichever alpha component is transparent to reveal the background. Lumakey (no background) outputs just the foreground with an alpha channel produced by the lumakey, and Lumakey and Fg alpha (no Bg) is the same but combines the existing foreground alpha with the lumakey alpha.

However like my earlier lumakey effect, this has also been withdrawn. See post #163088 for the final version.
Last Edit: 8 months, 3 weeks ago by jwrl.

Re: User Effects grouped by category and subcategory 8 months, 4 weeks ago #162557

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 8 months, 4 weeks ago
schrauber wrote:
It would probably work.
The only problem is that it is more complicated to handle than simply using a macro. Or did you want to synchonize it with other effects?

Thanks for answering.

I was just curious if it's now possible to switch (something) precisely on a frame to frame basis (with modulo or so) in order to make this kind of operation independent from duration of the effect and frame rate.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: User Effects grouped by category and subcategory 8 months, 4 weeks ago #162568

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 8 months, 4 weeks ago
The question arises, what frame rate.
So far, I only considered the project frame rate.
Within a project, however, different output frame rates can be set (or export frame rates).
I have not tested yet, whether effects during the export work on the basis of the project frame rate, or the export frame rate.
Windows 10, 64 Bit

Re: User Effects grouped by category and subcategory 8 months, 4 weeks ago #162569

• gr00by
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 8 months, 4 weeks ago
@schrauber, @jwrl, thank you for your answers!
Canon C100 -- Manjaro Linux User
Time to create page: 0.44 seconds
Scroll To Top