Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

TOPIC: User Effects files (Post #1 has them all)

Re: User Effects files 11 months, 1 week ago #164447

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 11 months, 1 week ago
I think we're discussing on different levels.

Of course it makes no sense to precisely adjust practically invisible values of 6, 8, 12 decimals precision on colour correction.

On the other hand, to adjust position, scale and crop parameters on various effects, I need precision of one pixel in all available resolutions. That isn't nice have, it's practically needed and impossible with the sliders and the mouse-wheel. It's possible by entering additional decimals manually, it slows down related workflows, and the additional decimals are effectively vanished when re-activating a field which is a bug.

That has to be improved.

1. Manually entered additional decimals must be preserved when re-activating a field.
2. Methods of fine adjustment are needed for mouse-wheel and slider operations (e.g. invoked by pressing modifier keys).
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 11 months, 1 week ago by hugly.

Re: User Effects files 11 months ago #164856

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 11 months ago
While pursuing code development issues I needed a project to test problems with. It ended up interesting me enought to develop as a stand-alone effect. This is a simple blend utility with the ability to adjust the position, size and rotation of the image being matted and also crop it. What it isn't is a direct replacement for the Lightworks "Blend" effect. It doesn't have any blending modes whatsoever, and if all that you want to to do is composite one shot over another the Lightworks effect is the one to use.

However this effect, "Flexi-blend" (FlexiBlend.fx) adds the power that you sometimes need to customise a graphic or foreground image. In that respect it's almost a DVE, but a DVE is designed for other purposes as well. If you have a graphic with an inverted alpha channel (yes, they exist) the alpha channel can be inverted to support them too. Here's the user interface.

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Starting from the top, there is a setting that helps if you want to use this effect with Lightworks titles. It compensates for the fact that we are blending the title outside the title effect. Moving on, Opacity and Invert alpha are reasonably self explanatory. In the Geometry section, Scale is a non-linear adjustment calibrated in percentage values, and runs from 0.004 times actual size (-100%) to 25 times (+100%). That should be enough range for all practical purposes. The rotation parameters can be adjusted between -180 degrees to +180 degrees, and the X and Y rotations also have an axis adjustment. Z rotation does not.

In the Position section (shown closed here) there are X and Y position adjustments, which can be adjusted using sliders or by dragging the centre point with the mouse in the sequence viewer. In the same way the crop settings can also be set by dragging or can be set with sliders.

FlexiBlend.zip
Last Edit: 3 months, 3 weeks ago by jwrl.

Re: User Effects files (Post #1 has them all) 10 months, 3 weeks ago #164995

• aswinkrishna
  • Pro User
  • Junior Boarder
  • 10 months, 3 weeks ago
Please Create a Video Strobe effect like [ Avid Strobe ]

Re: User Effects files (Post #1 has them all) 10 months, 3 weeks ago #165005

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 10 months, 3 weeks ago
Details? (I do not own Avid).
Mainly automatically translated
--------------------------------------------
Windows 10, 64 Bit
Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz) ; Intel HD Graphics 4600

Re: User Effects files (Post #1 has them all) 10 months, 3 weeks ago #165016

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 10 months, 3 weeks ago
You have been told that it cannot be done by users, aswinkrishna, and you've been told why. Repeatedly asking as you have over the last two years will not change that fact.

If you absolutely need to do it in Lightworks then make a feature request. It's probably too late to be included in 14.1 so you will most likely have to wait, though.

Re: User Effects files (Post #1 has them all) 10 months, 3 weeks ago #165023

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 10 months, 3 weeks ago
Now I understand.
From page 77:
jwrl wrote:
... And for those who don't know it, an Avid-style strobe is a series of successive freeze frames. For example, a two frame strobe plays a frame, repeats it, drops the next, plays the third, repeats it, and so on. And that we can't do.

There is a way that you could do it by writing macros ...

Does not it matter if we call it effect or macro?
The important thing is, we already have some solutions.
An "effect" of the macro type is called "Freezen Frame & Mark & Park next" and can be found under Editing / "Helpful macros to speed your editing"
Note the other installation and handling of macros.

Or is something missing (flashes?)
Mainly automatically translated
--------------------------------------------
Windows 10, 64 Bit
Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz) ; Intel HD Graphics 4600
Last Edit: 10 months, 3 weeks ago by schrauber.

Re: User Effects files (Post #1 has them all) 10 months, 3 weeks ago #165031

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 10 months, 3 weeks ago
The Avid-style strobe is exactly as I described it and there are no added flashes.

Re: User Effects files (Post #1 has them all) 10 months ago #167068

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 10 months ago
A few days back a user posted a request which seemed very simple.

VinceEFX wrote:
This is such a simple request and I just can't figure it out today. I have a still clip on V1 with has black bands on each side. I need to fill the black bands with a color ... I prefer not want to work with nodes please.

After some discussion I realised that there was an obvious lack in the user effects. You can see that discussion here and my final solution.

I subsequently cleaned up the code a little and renamed the effect. I now present (ta-da!) "Simple matte"! It is just that, a simple crop and matte effect. There is no bordering or feathering of the cropped edges and the background matte is just a plain flat colour. There are absolutely no DVE-like components. There are other tools that will give you all the complexity that you may wish. This is intended to be a simple quick light-weight cropping tool, nothing more. Here are the basic controls.

As well as being able to set up the cropping with the faders, you can also drag the crop corners to get what you need.

There are potentially a lot of uses for this class of tool. Here are just two. First, here's a 2.35:1 frame letterboxed into a 16:9 frame.

And here's a 4:3 frame pillarboxed into a 16:9 frame.

And that's it. Nothing fancy, just a lightweight quick-and-dirty fix for when you need it.

SimpleMatte.fx.zip

Re: User Effects files (Post #1 has them all) 8 months, 3 weeks ago #170368

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 8 months, 3 weeks ago
After a gap of over a month when I have been doing other things, here's a new effect. This is designed to move a coloured bar on from one edge of the screen then lower it to reveal an alpha image connected to the overlay input Ovl. After a suitable interval, the bar can then be moved up to hide the text again and moved off the edge of screen to clear the effect. It's called (currently) "Lower third 1" (Lower3rd_1.fx), but I'm not totally convinced by that name.

The effect can also be adjusted so that the text rises or falls out of the bar, and the bar can be set to rise to reveal the text. Text input can be either a Lightworks title effect or an external text file or logo with an alpha channel. If using a Lightworks title the input to the title effect must be disconnected. Here's the routing for the two variant uses of the effect.

I won't include a screen grab of the effect itself because there really is little point in doing that. However here's the settings panel.

At this stage I suggest that you play this MP4 that demonstrates the effect in action.

This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

The graph of what is happening there is shown below, along with notes describing the individual X and Y transitions.

You will notice that there are two different groups of settings for the bar. The idea is that you set up the reference position first along with the length, width and colour, then adjust the bar movement settings. That way you can store a template with your reference bar but are completely unhindered in any keyframing and movement requirements.

THIS EFFECT HAS NOW BEEN WITHDRAWN. It has been replaced by Lower third A (below), which is simpler to use and more flexible.
Last Edit: 8 months, 1 week ago by jwrl.

Re: User Effects files (Post #1 has them all) 8 months, 1 week ago #171124

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 8 months, 1 week ago
After a discussion arising out of Effects comparable to Camtasia? I have decided to open up a new subcategory of effects, called "Lower Third Tools". They will consist of two classes: complete turnkey effects and separate toolboxes that will allow you to build your own. Unlike the Lightworks lower thirds they will not be templates consisting of several effects grouped together, but single effects that do in one operation what would normally require several effects.

I've chosen to start with two toolkits first, the very first being "Lower 3rd toolkit A" (Lower3dTkA.fx). Text can be externally fed into the effect to be blended with the lower third automatically, or applied downstream. The screen grab below shows four different lower thirds generated by this toolbox - much more than those are possible.

The second toolkit is "Lower 3rd toolkit B" (Lower3dTkB.fx). This is more oriented towards the classic ribbon-style lower third, although of course it can also do other things. It's designed to not only add text, but to handle other graphics sources like logos and the like. For this purpose it's designed around a three layer input, and also includes an overlaid floating bordered flat colour box which will sit behind the logo. Here are four examples of what it can do.

There are also three pre-built lower third effects, each of which can be animated. The first is a reworked version of "Lower third 1" based on the engine in lower 3rd toolkit A. This is much simpler to use than Lower third 1, so that has been withdrawn. It's called "Lower third A" (Lower3rd_A.fx), and was used to produce the MP4s below.

This next lower third is also derived from toolkit A, but has been designed to do something rather different. It's called "Lower third B" (Lower3rd_B.fx) and you can see it at work in the MP4s below.

Finally we have "Lower third C" (Lower3rd_C.fx). This is based on toolkit B, and generates a classic lower third ribbon - with a difference. There's only one clip this time, but you'll quickly get what it does.

Each of the pre-built effects is fully adjustable. Try them and the toolkits by downloading Lower3dTkA.fx.zip, Lower3dTkB.fx.zip, Lower3rd_A.fx.zip, Lower3rd_B.fx.zip and/or Lower3rd_C.fx.zip.

Re: User Effects files (Post #1 has them all) 8 months, 1 week ago #171217

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 8 months, 1 week ago
I've just added another lower third, "Lower third D" (Lower3rd_D.fx). This is simple, and just brings the text in over a plain background with a contrasting border that vanishes as the effect reaches its end position.

LowerthirdD_1.mp4 ... LowerthirdD_2.mp4

As usual, you can download Lower3rd_D.fx.zip to get it.

Re: User Effects files (Post #1 has them all) 8 months, 1 week ago #171348

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 8 months, 1 week ago
I've now added another new lower third, "Lower third E" (Lower3rd_E.fx). This one does a rippling peel effect over a plain colour ribbon. The opacity of the ribbon can be shaded both vertically horizontally, and entering negative values of opacity will cause full transparency to be reached earlier than the full width or height of the ribbon. Try it - you'll quickly see what I mean.

Play LowerthirdE.mp4 to see it in action, and as usual you can download Lower3rd_E.fx.zip to get it or get it from the first post here.

Re: User Effects files (Post #1 has them all) 8 months, 1 week ago #171542

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 8 months, 1 week ago
This lower third, "Lower third F" (Lower3rd_F.fx) is a spin off (pun intended) of "Lower third E" (above). This does a twist of a text overlay over a standard ribbon with adjustable opacity. The direction of the twist can be set to wipe on or wipe off. "Wipe on" gives a left to right transition, and "Wipe off" gives a right to left transition. As a result when setting the transition range in "Wipe off" it's necessary to set the transition to zero.

Play LowerthirdF.mp4 to see it, and as usual you can download Lower3rd_F.fx.zip to get it or get it from the first post here.

Re: User Effects files (Post #1 has them all) 8 months ago #171689

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 8 months ago
I really will have to think of some sensible names for these!

This one is called "Lower third G" (Lower3rd_G.fx), and uses a clock wipe to wipe on a box around text. The box can be wiped on in a clockwise direction or anticlockwise. It can be started from the top or the bottom of the box. Once the box is almost complete a fill colour dissolves in, along with the text. Here's a screen grab.

Play LowerthirdG.mp4 to see it in action.

The download is at Lower3rd_G.fx.zip. Have fun. Or not. Your call.
Last Edit: 8 months ago by jwrl.

Re: User Effects files (Post #1 has them all) 8 months ago #171715

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 8 months ago
Is there a more elegant and better looking solution to move an object on green screen (without scaling) over background than shown in the first "tutorial" video below, something like make green screen transparent and crop, as I would do it with PNG with alpha?

And maybe easier than this:

Edit: Is maybe LumaCrop.fx somehow usable for this?
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 8 months ago by hugly.
Time to create page: 0.44 seconds
Scroll To Top