Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

TOPIC: User Effects files (Post #1 has them all)

Re: User Effects files (Post #1 has them all) 5 months ago #157413

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 5 months ago
This effect is a transition that pinches the outgoing video to a point to reveal the incoming shot. It can also reverse the process to bring in the incoming video. I created this when I wanted to take my mind off a serious family problem, so it makes no claim to be anything much, however this is what it looks like.

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

The effect is called "Pinch transition" (imaginative, eh?) and you can see it in action by clicking on Wx_Pinch.mp4. The download is at Wx_Pinch.fx.zip.
Last Edit: 2 months, 2 weeks ago by jwrl.

Re: User Effects grouped by category and subcategory 5 months ago #157515

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 5 months ago
Follow on from the above: I've now also produced a composite version of the pinch effect called by a huge leap of the imagination, "Composite Pinch". Here's what it looks like.

You can see it in action by clicking on Cx_Pinch.mp4, and the download is at Cx_Pinch.fx.zip.

Re: User Effects grouped by category and subcategory 4 months, 3 weeks ago #158035

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 4 months, 3 weeks ago
There have been further developments on the pinch effect front. The first new one is called "X-pinch" (Wx_xPinch.fx), and looks like this.

There is a matching composite version to go with it. It's called "Composite X-pinch" (Cx_xPinch.fx). That (predictably) looks pretty much the same as the above, and looks like this.

The second new pinch effect is "Radial pinch" (Wx_rPinch.fx) and looks like this.

The composite version, "Composite radial pinch" (Cx_rPinch.fx) is here.

You can see them by playing Wx_xPinch.mp4, Cx_xPinch.mp4, Wx_rPinch.mp4 and/or Cx_rPinch.mp4. They are downloadable now from Wx_xPinch.fx.zip, Cx_xPinch.fx.zip, Wx_rPinch.fx.zip and/or Cx_rPinch.fx.zip.

Re: User Effects grouped by category and subcategory 4 months, 3 weeks ago #158084

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 4 months, 3 weeks ago
The above will be the last effect that I post here until the EU sorts out its copyright issues (see this thread for details). I will also not be maintaining the user effects library. It's more work than I care to do if it's likely to just be blocked anyway.

[EDIT] I was working on a library update when this reared its ugly head. After some thought I have decided to post that update, but it will be the last until this issue is resolved. Download it from the link below or from post 1 here.

This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

[EDIT 2] It appears that saner heads may prevail at the EU. There are clauses being added that appear to be more open-source friendly. I have decided to resume maintenance of the library, but still keep a wary eye on what's going on in Brussels.
Last Edit: 4 months ago by jwrl.

Re: User Effects grouped by category and subcategory 4 months ago #159670

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 4 months ago
This new effect, Adjustable blend, is a quick way of blending when the alpha channel may not quite be as required. The alpha channel may be inverted or scaled, the video may be premultiplied, and transparency and opacity may be adjusted. Unlike the Lightworks blend effect there are no Photoshop-style blending modes, it's simply designed for when you just need a quick fix.

So what do the various adjustments do? Invert alpha is pretty self-explanatory. The Opacity control is also reasonably obvious, and allows you to fade the foreground in and out. At it's simplest, these two controls are all that you will usually need to use.

Premultiply uses the alpha channel to drop the transparent section of the image to black, which can help to give a cleaner key. Transparency fades the background in and out, and the left panel above shows what happens with that set to zero. Alpha linearity is a catch-all control that can help bed the foreground into the background. It may have very little effect or a lot, depending on the softness and transparency of the alpha channel. Try it in conjunction with premultiply for an increased effect.

You can download AdjBlend.fx.zip if you need it.
Last Edit: 4 months ago by jwrl.

Re: User Effects grouped by category and subcategory 3 months, 4 weeks ago #160071

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 3 months, 4 weeks ago
OK, this is a bit of a turnaround. I'm posting the effects library update before I've added most of the new effects. There's a total of eleven, or twelve if you include updates.

Two and an update are by schrauber and have already been posted, and my adjustable blend effect is what you see above. Seven of the remaining eight are alpha versions of B transition effects and haven't yet been posted because I am still working on the documentation, and the eighth is an effect that allows manipulation of the order of RGB channels, also awaiting documentation.

So here is the current library zip. Enjoy it.

PS: I miscounted. There are another two effects - a new dissolve/wipe transition and its alpha equivalent. I'll catch up with the documentation over the next few days.
Last Edit: 3 months, 3 weeks ago by jwrl.

Re: User Effects grouped by category and subcategory 3 months, 3 weeks ago #160152

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 3 months, 3 weeks ago
As promised, here's the first pair of effects. These were developed alpha version first, then non-alpha, which is the reverse of the way that I usually do things. I needed the alpha version for a job, then liked it enough to make the non-alpha.

The alpha transition is "Alpha sine mix" (Adx_Sine.fx) and the non-alpha is "Sinusoidal mix" (Dx_Sine.fx). These are dissolve/wipes that use a sine distortion to do a left - right or right - left transition between the inputs. The phase can also be offset by 180 degrees to change the vertical direction in which the distortion starts. The alpha version can do things like this.

The first is the default setting, the second is with the number of sine waves increased. Below is the non-alpha version.

You can see both in action by clicking on the links below.

Download Adx_Sine.fx.zip and Dx_Sine.fx.zip to get them.

Re: User Effects grouped by category and subcategory 3 months, 3 weeks ago #160263

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 3 months, 3 weeks ago
OK, as promised, here's more.

The first is called "Colour swizzler" (Swizzler.fx), and is actually an old diagnostic tool that I have had lying around for a while. I've cleaned it up a little for general use. It "swizzles" the RGB channels to correct for bad channel assignments or to just generally produce dramatic results. The example below shows what happens with the various settings when they are applied to colour bars.

That's all that it does. I guess that it's more of a novelty item than a useful tool, but someone may need it.

I have also created alpha versions of Wx_Pinch.fx, Wx_rPinch.fx and Wx_xPinch.fx. They are called respectively "Alpha pinch" (Adx_Pinch.fx), "Alpha radial pinch" (Adx_PinchR.fx) and "Alpha X-pinch" (Adx_PinchX.fx). Alpha pinch "pinches" the outgoing video to a user-defined point to reveal the incoming shot and can also reverse the process.

Alpha radial pinch collapses the outgoing video around the centre of frame to reveal the incoming shot. Unlike Alpha pinch, this version compresses to the diagonal radii of the images.

Alpha X-pinch squeezes the outgoing title to a point to clear the background shot, while zooming out of the pinched title. It reverses the process to bring in the incoming title. Trig functions have been used during the progress of the effect to make the acceleration smoother.

Unlike Wx_xPinch.fx, the direction swap has been made symmetrical. When used with titles which by their nature don't occupy the full screen, subjectively this approach looked better. The wipe in and wipe out transitions also scale differently to the overlaps for the same reason.

You can see the results of all four effects in the MP4s below.

Download Swizzler.zip, Adx_Pinch.fx.zip, Adx_PinchR.fx.zip and/or Adx_PinchX.fx.zip to get them.

Re: User Effects grouped by category and subcategory 3 months, 3 weeks ago #160383

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 3 months, 3 weeks ago
And still they come!

These two are variations on the same theme. "Alpha corner split" (Adx_Corners.fx) is a four-way split which moves the alpha blended image to or from the corners of the frame. Based on Wx_Corners.fx, this version has been adapted for use with alpha effects such as titles or blends.

The next effect, "Alpha corner squeeze" (Adx_CnrSqueeze.fx) is similar, but it compresses or expands the alpha component to or from the corners of the frame. It's based on Wx_CnrSqueeze.fx, and is a companion to that and Cx_CnrSqueeze.fx.

IF you'd like to see them in action, here are MP4 files of each.

These are already in the library zip file, but you may download each independently from Adx_Corners.fx.zip and Adx_CnrSqueeze.fx.zip.

Re: User Effects grouped by category and subcategory 3 months, 3 weeks ago #160574

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 3 months, 3 weeks ago
These are the last two "catch up" effects to match what is already in the current library. "Alpha split" (Adx_Split.fx) is really the classic barn door effect that I previously posted in Wx_Split.fx/Cx_Split.fx. This version has been modified to support alpha channels.

Like the earlier versions, this effect moves the separated alpha image halves apart and pushes them off-screen or brings the halves together from off-screen. It moves them either vertically or horizontally depending on the user setting.

This next effect, "Alpha split squeeze" (Adx_SplitSqueeze.fx) is similar to the above but instead of pushing it squeezes or expands the separate parts.

The MP4 files below will show you both effects in action.

Although these are already in the library zip file, you may also download each directly from Adx_Split.fx.zip and Adx_SplitSqueeze.fx.zip.

Re: User Effects grouped by category and subcategory 3 months, 2 weeks ago #160671

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 months, 2 weeks ago
A distortion effect:

Attachments:
  • Attachment This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
Mainly automatically translated
--------------------------------------------
Windows 10, 64 Bit
Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz) ; Intel HD Graphics 4600
Last Edit: 3 months, 2 weeks ago by schrauber.

Re: User Effects grouped by category and subcategory 3 months, 2 weeks ago #161241

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 months, 2 weeks ago
I am currently creating a transition effect from the distortion effect.
Which alpha channel processing is most useful?
Windows 10, 64 Bit
Last Edit: 3 months, 2 weeks ago by schrauber.

Re: User Effects grouped by category and subcategory 3 months, 2 weeks ago #161242

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 3 months, 2 weeks ago
There is no hard and fast rule. It depends a lot on what you're trying to achieve. Generally I will start off preserving alpha all the way through, then try the effect out with a range of different source media. That will usually make it obvious what's really required. If I then need to split the alpha channel out and deal with it separately I do so, but that's usually not the case.

Where the alpha channel does become important is in the case of an alpha transition. That will often require extra processing to ensure a smooth start and end to the transition.
Last Edit: 3 months, 2 weeks ago by jwrl.

Re: User Effects grouped by category and subcategory 3 months, 1 week ago #161358

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
Thank you,

here now the transition effect.

Video:

Transition to the next clip happens by rising from the depth like a geyser. With the rotation off, this process is easier to see:
Windows 10, 64 Bit
Last Edit: 3 months, 1 week ago by schrauber.

Re: User Effects grouped by category and subcategory 3 months, 1 week ago #161458

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
This is an effect based on one that I've had in my toolkit for quite a while. It's a keyer which uses an algorithm originally derived from Editshare's Lumakey effect, but the implementation is entirely my own.

The first major difference is in the labelling. "Tolerance" in this effect is now called "Key clip", "Edge Softness" has become "Key Softness" and "Invert" is "Invert key", and an opacity setting has been added. Key softness, instead of being calculated entirely from within the keyed area is now derived symmetrically around the key boundaries. This behaviour is more consistent with the way that an analog luminance keyer works.

Additionally, when the key clip setting is exceeded by the image luminance the Lightworks keyer passes the luminance value unchanged, which this version doesn't. Instead this keyer outputs full white to the alpha channel. Again, this is more consistent with the way that an analog keyer works. Regardless of whether the key is inverted or not, the clip setting always works from black at 0% to white at 100%. In the Lightworks effect the equivalent setting, "Tolerance", changes sense when the key is inverted. This is unexpected to say the least and for that reason is not used here.

This effect also provides two means of producing an alpha channel for the foreground image. The alpha channel can either replace the existing alpha channel or can be multiplied with it. It can then optionally be used to key the foreground over the background or can be output for use with external blends and other effects. In this latter mode any background image will be suppressed.

However both this effect and the effect on which it was based, "Luma add alpha" have been withdrawn. The effect that you will find in post #162513 makes both redundant.
Last Edit: 3 months ago by jwrl.
Time to create page: 0.79 seconds
Scroll To Top