Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Are there any plugins for Lwks to apply LUTs to footage?

Re: Are there any plugins for Lwks to apply LUTs to footage? 4 years, 6 months ago #91243

• Craig Marshall
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 years, 6 months ago
doomsday wrote:

Not so important when your videos are destined to end up on a website.

Not so important I agree but I recently had to take an HDMI output from a laptop to a colour managed HD monitor. The resulting native screen pictures were terrible with no real way of getting a accurate colour, contrast or brightness. To think many people 'grade' on a laptop or computer, without some accurate colour reference, it is no wonder so many Youtube posts look dreadful.

Having passed through this learning curve some time ago, I do recommend that anyone serious about shooting or producing 'good' pictures, invest in at least a BMD mini-monitor and a some form of display which can be accurately calibrated.

Note: unfortunately, the mini-monitor cards are not supported by Lightworks so users should check exactly which Decklink or Aja I/O cards are now supported.
Custom Haswell z87 i7 3.9Ghz 4770
System SSD, 16TB Internal RAID 0, Cache SSD
16GB DDR3, Thunderbolt, Nvidia GTX 970 G1 Maxwell GPU
Lightworks Pro with DNxHD license
Resolve 15 with OxygenTec ProPanel
X-Keys Pro 68 key USB Jog/Shuttle controller
2 x 24" HD GUI, 24" 10bit Rec.709 IPS Monitor
12G Decklink 4K SDI Pro>HD-Link Pro>Display Port
Sony 55" X9005B 4K Client Monitor
Sony Super 35 HD camera with Atomos ProRes Recorder
4x4" matte box/follow focus. Zeiss 'Contax' FF primes with Metabones 'Speed Booster'
Rode NTG-3/I-Rig XLR Phantom preamp
HDvideo4K.com

Re: Are there any plugins for Lwks to apply LUTs to footage? 4 years, 6 months ago #91251

• doomsday
  • Pro User
  • Gold Boarder
  • 4 years, 6 months ago
Craig Marshall wrote:
To think many people 'grade' on a laptop or computer, without some accurate colour reference, it is no wonder so many Youtube posts look dreadful.

Very true, though I would have to say that a vast majority of youtube posters have no idea of what color grading is, if they have even done anything other than throw the raw video online. In the end though you are correct, we would all be better off if all the semi pro's had a decent color setup.
Asus X99 Deluxe MB, Intel Core i7 5930K 3.50 GHz cpu, Dual SLI EVGA GTX970s, 32Gb Crucial ddr4 mem, Kingston 450/450 SSD main drive,Second SSD Working drive, Windows 10
Last Edit: 4 years, 6 months ago by doomsday.

Re: Are there any plugins for Lwks to apply LUTs to footage? 4 years, 6 months ago #91259

• lghtwrks
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 years, 6 months ago
side note "academic":

Windows:
afaik it should be possible to render fullscreen with 10-bit on even "geforce"-cards, afaik lwks uses direct x in windows:

NVIDIA Geforce graphics cards have offered 10-bit per color out to a full screen Direct X surface since the Geforce 200 series GPUs.
nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3011/related/1

Linux:
Fixed a bug that caused OpenGL to print

Xlib: extension "NV-GLX" missing on display ":0". when used with a non-NVIDIA implementation of the GLX X extension.
Implemented color depth 30 (10 bits per component) support for GeForce 8 series and higher GPUs.

www.nvidia.com/object/linux-display-ia32-295.20-driver.html

greets
s

Re: Are there any plugins for Lwks to apply LUTs to footage? 4 years, 5 months ago #91274

• Craig Marshall
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 years, 5 months ago
Several newer Graphics cards such as the Quadro Kepler series and the GTX 9XX Maxwell series are capable of 10 and/or 12bit colour directly via their Display Port (and even HDMI) outputs. Unfortunately, very little modern software addresses this feature. In the case of grading software, Nucoda I believe is one of the few programmes which does and compared to the price of DaVinci Resolve plus a bunch of dedicated BMD hardware boxes, Nucoda is still very expensive.

If future versions of Lightworks were to address the modern GPU's native 10/12bit colour space directly, I believe the Pro market would really wake up to this Editor.
4x4" matte box/follow focus. Zeiss 'Contax' FF primes with Metabones 'Speed Booster'
HDvideo4K.com

Re: Are there any plugins for Lwks to apply LUTs to footage? 4 years, 5 months ago #91284

• David Rasberry
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 years, 5 months ago
Don't have a 10 bit monitor to try it on, but if the video card driver and OS are 10 bit capable, that should be implemented via EDID automatically if a 10 bit monitor is connected via display port. At the very least it would show up as an option in the GPU management software. Resolve and Lightworks both already support 10 bit precision that should be transparent to the GPU driver. I have pro still photographer friends working in 10 bit on EIZO calibrated monitors with Photoshop and Capture One Pro.
Razz

Digital Bolex 2k Cinema DNG raw camera
Canon GL2 DV camcorder
iPAD Mini 3 Iographer rig

Workstation: Intel i7-4770k, Asrock Z87 Thunderbolt 2 MB, 16GB 1866 DDR3 ram,
2TB Seagate Hybrid system drive, 2TB Seagate NAS media drive, E-sata III hot swap drive bay, Nvidia GTX760 2GB GPU
Lightworks kybrd. Shuttlepro v2
Win10 Pro 64bit, Lightworks 14.0 64bit

Mobile Workstation: MSI GTX72 Dominator
Intel i7-6700HQ 2.7GHz Win10 64bit
16GB DDR4 ram, 500GB M.2 SSD
Nvidia GTX970 3GB GPU
USB3, USB3.1-C, Thunderbolt 3 ports
Shuttlepro2 Win10 64bit LW 14.0 64 bit
Last Edit: 4 years, 5 months ago by David Rasberry.

Re: Are there any plugins for Lwks to apply LUTs to footage? 4 years, 5 months ago #91286

• Craig Marshall
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 years, 5 months ago
Yes, later versions of Photoshop will address certain Graphics Cards for 10bit Monitoring. All trials I performed with the 10 bit Display Port output from my Quadro K600 GPU proved only 8bit out of Lightworks when fed to my 10bit Rec.709 calibrated monitor. (BenQ PG2401PT)

Since installing the GTX 970 G1 GPU and BMD Decklink 6G 4K SDI I/O card for Resolve, the 970 graphics processor is used only for internal GPU processing so none of it's 12bit HDMI or DP outputs are used. If Lightworks recognised the Decklink 4K SDI I/O card, I could be able to monitor HD video @10bit 4:4:4 directly out of Lightworks.
HDvideo4K.com
Last Edit: 4 years, 5 months ago by Craig Marshall.

Re: Are there any plugins for Lwks to apply LUTs to footage? 4 months ago #199718

"If Lightworks recognised the Decklink 4K SDI I/O card, I could be able to monitor HD video @10bit 4:4:4 directly out of Lightworks."

Lightworks does now!
HDvideo4K.com
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.31 seconds
Scroll To Top