Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

TOPIC: slowmoVideo as an Assistant Application

slowmoVideo as an Assistant Application 7 years, 9 months ago #36930

• khaver
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 7 years, 9 months ago
I've created a utility to allow the use of slowmoVideo as an assistant application from within Lightworks.
Updated 2013-06-20
SlowMoAssApp_13-06-20.zip
Install slowmoVideo as per it's instructions including downloading the required ffmpeg.exe and placing it in the same directory. Once installed, unzip SlowMoAssApp.exe from the attached zip file and place it in the slowmoVideo install directory.

In a Lightworks project bring up the effects panel and click the cogs icon.

Select "Assistant Applications.."
This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Click "Add".

Click the "Executable" box to browse and select the SlowMoAssApp.exe file. Browse to and select an output directory. And name the effect "SlowmoVideo". Click the "Do It" button.

You now have slowmoVideo setup to use.

Mark and park a section of a video clip on your timeline and add the slowmoVideo effect.

Bring up the configuration panel and click the "List sources" button. (This must be done before you launch the effect) Notepad will open showing the source video and frames that you marked. You can close Notepad.

Now click the "Launch" button. You will be asked to create a new project by browsing to a location and creating a new project folder.

Once this is done ffmpeg will extract PNG images of each frame you marked from the source video (this video, whether original source footage or transcoded on import footage must be readable by ffmpeg), create a slowmoVideo project file and then launch slowmoVideo.

In slowmoVideo you will have a linear line from the first frame to the last frame. If you render this default setting you will obtain the exact same frames as you marked at normal speed. You will need to add and arrange nodes as required for your velocity changed footage.

When you're ready to render you can either choose to render to an mpg video file or a PNG image sequence (the png image sequence is lossless so will have the best quality).

When rendering is completed, save the project before exiting slowmoVideo if you think you might want to make changes later. When you exit slowmoVideo and just before returning to Lightworks you will be asked if you want to delete the slowmoVideo project files (the rendered video or image sequence will not be deleted). No is the default.

Once back in Lightworks, right click on the effect in the timeline and select "Replace with media..". A file selection dialog will open in the output directory you designated. If you rendered to a video file you will find it in this directory. The name will be the source video name with a prefix of "slomo-". If you rendered to a PNG image sequence you will find the frames in a directory named for the source file name and prefixed with "slomo-". Before you select the first frame, make sure you have "Detect image sequence" set.

Please let me know if you find any bugs. Enjoy.

Edit 2013-1-5: Added a checkbox for when you re-enter a slowmoVideo project and want to re-extract new frames to use (you are using proxies the first time you run slowmoVideo then need to re-run slowmoVideo after you swap in the intermediates).
Work Comp: Retired!
Home Comp: Newer! Bigger! Faster!
Send me a tip: paypal.me/4khaver
Last Edit: 7 years, 3 months ago by khaver.

Re: slowmoVideo as an Assistant Application 7 years, 9 months ago #36932

• CarlosCamara
  • Pro User
  • Expert Boarder
  • 7 years, 9 months ago
Thanks a lot !! i can't wait to work with it!!

Re: slowmoVideo as an Assistant Application 7 years, 9 months ago #36933

• brdloush
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 7 years, 9 months ago
Hi Khaver,

this seems very promising. I'm trying to follow the approach you've described, but when I click "Launch" button, LW complains that "sources-list.txt does not exist. Generate sources-list.txt and re-launch assistant application.

Actually the same error now happens when I try to use VirtualDub assitant application. It's weird, VirtualDub worked for me without any issues.

The sources-list.txt file was created into F:\tools\Lightworks11\sources-list.txt, I'm running my LW from F:\tools\Lightworks11\Lightworks.exe

Any idea what might be wrong?

Thank you for any hint.

[UPDATE]
I tried watching what's going on on my filesystem using Process Monitor tool and it seems that SlowMoAssApp.exe is trying to find the sources-list file under F:\tools\Lightworks11_11_1_d_x86\sources-list.txt

I'm pretty sure this is due to my attempt to install and try the fresh beta version. Where do your assistant apps look for LW installation folder? I'm expecting some well-known registry place?

UPDATE 2:
These entries seems to be the ones I needed to modify:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Lightworks]
"Path"="F:\\tools\\Lightworks11"
"Path64"="F:\\tools\\Lightworks11"
Last Edit: 7 years, 9 months ago by brdloush.

Re: slowmoVideo as an Assistant Application 7 years, 9 months ago #36938

• brdloush
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 7 years, 9 months ago
The assistant application works nicely now. I only had to use ffmbc.exe and rename it to ffmpeg.exe, because "normal" ffmpeg wasn't able to open my footage is in ProRes.

Now I "just" have to learn how to use slowmo video tool efficiently - result of my 1st attempt looked like crap

Thanks for another great app, Khaver!

Re: slowmoVideo as an Assistant Application 7 years, 9 months ago #36953

• khaver
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 7 years, 9 months ago
A few bug fixes.

1. slowmoVideo project file was being overwritten when you selected to "Re-enter" the project.

2. A possible bug in slowmoVideo would cause it to sometimes render 1 less frame than was extracted from the source file causing a black frame at the end of the sequence when you replaced the media in Lightworks. To get around this SlowMoAssApp will now extract 1 extra frame.

Here's the latest: SlowMoAssApp.zip

The first post attachment has also been updated.

Re: slowmoVideo as an Assistant Application 7 years, 9 months ago #36958

• Craig Marshall
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 7 years, 9 months ago
Thanks for this. Support videos look very impressive and certainly more cost effective than Twixtor!

Followed the directions re: LW Assistat App. = all OK but programme requests an output directory, extracts the frames then re-opens and repeats the request for an output directory over and over again with the only way to stop it to CTL-ALT-DEL! Ouch!

PS: Cannot find programme's control panel either so will uninstall and start again...

EDIT: Slomovideo was not installed correctly so AssistApp was re-calling itself. Have now completed a test edit with some success - now to refine the settings! (I also used the 'brdloush' trick of re-naming ffmbc and remarkably, this works too)
Custom Haswell z87 i7 3.9Ghz 4770
System SSD, 16TB Internal RAID 0, Cache SSD
16GB DDR3, Thunderbolt, Nvidia GTX 970 G1 Maxwell GPU
Lightworks Pro with DNxHD license
Resolve 15 with OxygenTec ProPanel
X-Keys Pro 68 key USB Jog/Shuttle controller
2 x 24" HD GUI, 24" 10bit Rec.709 IPS Monitor
12G Decklink 4K SDI Pro>HD-Link Pro>Display Port
Sony 55" X9005B 4K Client Monitor
Sony Super 35 HD camera with Atomos ProRes Recorder
4x4" matte box/follow focus. Zeiss 'Contax' FF primes with Metabones 'Speed Booster'
Rode NTG-3/I-Rig XLR Phantom preamp
HDvideo4K.com
Last Edit: 7 years, 9 months ago by Craig Marshall.

Re: slowmoVideo as an Assistant Application 7 years, 9 months ago #36962

• khaver
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 7 years, 9 months ago
The program shouldn't ask for an output directory if you entered one when you set it up in Lightworks. It's acting like it can't find the registry keys it's looking for. Tomorrow when I get on my computer (I'm in bed right now) I'll post the registry keys it's programmed to look for so you can check if yours are in the same place. I use XP so I'm not sure if other versions are different.

I'll also look into why it wouldn't use the output directory you chose when it couldn't find it in the registry.

Re: slowmoVideo as an Assistant Application 7 years, 9 months ago #36965

• Craig Marshall
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 7 years, 9 months ago
See my 'EDIT' on the last post. Everything is working sweetly now so I'll shoot some movement at 50P and do a test slomo run. Movement at 50P is pretty good quality to start with so this App is an exciting prospect. Thank you khaver!

EDIT: Bug? When attempting to repeat the procedure for a new test in LW, I open the 'list sources' text file and it reads the same frames as my previous test even though the output directory contents have been deleted? [Solved) you actually need to drop the new shot into the LW timeline so it registers and updates required material.

Now here's the thing, how would you envisage a workflow for this App for those of us who edit with timecoded proxies then render out from the HQ intermediates? (in my case, intermediates are usually uncompressed YUV AVIs for shorter programmes and ProRes 4:4:4 for the longer ones due to storage space considerations)

Obviously the pic quality needs to be maintained as high as possible so the slomo render would need to be performed on the intermediate files only. I cannot imagine how LW would render back successfully if the slomo was applied to the proxies? Appreciate any suggestions...
Custom Haswell z87 i7 3.9Ghz 4770
System SSD, 16TB Internal RAID 0, Cache SSD
16GB DDR3, Thunderbolt, Nvidia GTX 970 G1 Maxwell GPU
Lightworks Pro with DNxHD license
Resolve 15 with OxygenTec ProPanel
X-Keys Pro 68 key USB Jog/Shuttle controller
2 x 24" HD GUI, 24" 10bit Rec.709 IPS Monitor
12G Decklink 4K SDI Pro>HD-Link Pro>Display Port
Sony 55" X9005B 4K Client Monitor
Sony Super 35 HD camera with Atomos ProRes Recorder
4x4" matte box/follow focus. Zeiss 'Contax' FF primes with Metabones 'Speed Booster'
Rode NTG-3/I-Rig XLR Phantom preamp
HDvideo4K.com
Last Edit: 7 years, 9 months ago by Craig Marshall.

Re: slowmoVideo as an Assistant Application 7 years, 9 months ago #37173

• khaver
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 7 years, 9 months ago
If I were to put a checkbox on the dialog that asks if you want re-enter, overwrite or create a new project that will re-extract the frames from the source clip when you chose to re-enter. That way you could do the effect with proxies, save the project in slowmovideo, swap in the intermediates in Lightworks, reconfigure the effect, then re-enter the slowmovideo project and render using the frames extractd from the intermediates.

Re: slowmoVideo as an Assistant Application 7 years, 9 months ago #37192

Gosh I would love to be able to import this into Lightworks, but I can's even get slowmoVideo to work. Not sure if I am doing the install wrong. I can get the program to run, but when I attempot to bring video into it, it never shows the video. And there are virtually no instructions on a start to finish install.

Having said that, I can install the Asst Application into lightworks, but everything comes to a grinding halt when I try to List Sources....I get no notepad, and thus, cannot continue.

My apologies for what may seem like rookie questions...but that would describe me well.

Any and all help to a new user on his first post would be appreciated. I've pulled out what little hair I have left.

Re: slowmoVideo as an Assistant Application 7 years, 9 months ago #37194

• khaver
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 7 years, 9 months ago
airforcerunner, make sure you right click on the Lightworks desktop icon and select "run as administrator". This will allow Lightworks to create the sources-list.txt file in the Lightworks installation directory where Lightworks and my slowmoassapp.exe utility expect it to be.

As for getting slowmoVideo to work, make sure you download the required ffmpeg.exe file and place it in the slowmoVideo installation directory.
Last Edit: 7 years, 9 months ago by khaver.

Re: slowmoVideo as an Assistant Application 7 years, 9 months ago #37197

Yup....my independent slowmoVideo was done to spec.

I will retry the asst app as admin and report back.

Thanks for the quick response.

Re: slowmoVideo as an Assistant Application 7 years, 9 months ago #37199

So as expected, your fix for the app worked like a charm...thanks for that.

But...

Same issue with slowmoVideo.

I am trying to import AVIs....could that be the problem?

Also....by placing FFmpeg into the same 'directory', do you mean folder in laymens?
And is there a preferred place to extract the slowmoVideo program to? Could that be the problem? I just extracted it to a folder I created.

Re: slowmoVideo as an Assistant Application 7 years, 9 months ago #37200

• khaver
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 7 years, 9 months ago
Yes, same folder. Extracting slowmoVideo to the folder of your choice should be okay. Do you know the codec the AVIs were encoded with? FFmpeg needs to be able to decode your video file.

Re: slowmoVideo as an Assistant Application 7 years, 9 months ago #37201

I'll check that....the come from a GoPro 2 and were encoded with Cineform Studio.

More to follow....
Time to create page: 0.48 seconds
Scroll To Top