Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Multiple tracks taking forever to export - likely to be better with multicam bin?

Multiple tracks taking forever to export - likely to be better with multicam bin? 1 month, 3 weeks ago #229709

• brcw2
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 month, 3 weeks ago
I've edited together a dozen videos in a 4x3 layout using 2d DVEs (one audio track, 12 video tracks), but exporting even just 1 minute of footage has so far been running for well over 12 hours (CPU's still churning away, so I assume it's still processing) which is clearly no use.

I don't want to interrupt the export and start experimenting if I can't do anything to improve matters, if I might as well just leave it running. However, I was wondering whether using another technique to display the videos, like a multicam bin, is likely to work better - or just work at all! (And/or would it help if I edited all the videos to be the same resolution and bit rate before starting? They came in from a dozen different people, so there's quite a variety of resolutions, from 640x480 to 1920x1080, and at least four different bit rates)

Thanks

Re: Multiple tracks taking forever to export - likely to be better with multicam bin? 1 month, 3 weeks ago #229717

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 month, 3 weeks ago
Hello,

The multicam bin is a tool to synchronize multiple recording and to keep them in sync when populating timelines. It won't help to reduce the load on the system when rendering/exporting.

The used media formats (codec, resolution, frame rate) and the complexity of the effect chains define the number of necessary computations and thus the load on your computer. A frame without effects to be displayed needs to be decoded and scaled. 12 frames to be displayed simultaneously increase the load by 12 times, roughly speaking.

Reducing the resolution of the media to the effectively used resolution, or close to it, by converting prior to import to an easy to decode format (e.g. Cineform) will increase the performance. Also rendering parts of the timeline and combining those to the final edit is a commonly used method, but that needs a detailed plan of what the final result should look like, prior to starting editing.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 1 month, 3 weeks ago by hugly.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.40 seconds
Scroll To Top