Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: How to make something float.

How to make something float. 1 week, 4 days ago #221246

• Piyush K
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 week, 4 days ago
Hey all hope you are safe.

I need a way to make something float in lightworks. Basically I have a jug that needs to go up in the air using stop motion to create a magic effect. So the way I can acheive this is by putting my tripod underneath and lifting it up using stop motion. I dont want that stand to be their in the final product, to create a floating effect. How can I acheive this during editing. Im using windows 10. and lightworks version 110128.

Re: How to make something float. 1 week, 4 days ago #221255

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 1 week, 4 days ago
OK, you have come up with a way of doing it that will require a fair bit of work to clean it up. You will need to shoot a locked off shot without the jug or tripod in shot. That will become a cleanup plate. What you will also need to do is download and install khaver's Polymask effects. If you've never installed custom effects before you will find instructions here.

Now shoot your stop motion sequence and lay that up in your timeline. Add your cleanup plate either over the top or underneath the animation and apply your chosen Polymask. Then keyframe the Polymask to replace the tripod with the cleanup plate.

However, have you considered using monofilament nylon thread or fishing line to just lift the jug in real time? It would be a great deal simpler, and cleanup would be a lot easier. If you're lucky it might not be necessary at all. The movement would also be smoother than stop motion will give you.

Another way would be to green screen the jug and raise it that way. You would need to work out how to deal with shadows, but it could be made to work with Lightworks.

Personally, I would do none of those. I would probably 3D model and animate the jug and composite it into the shot either in the animation program or using dedicated compositing software.
Last Edit: 1 week, 3 days ago by jwrl.

Re: How to make something float. 6 days, 5 hours ago #221457

• edWD7
  • Expert Boarder
  • 6 days, 5 hours ago
_ curious about this subject _
= Dell Precision T3500
Processor: 1x Xeon Quad Core @ 2.66 GHz
Memory: 4 GB
HDD: 160 GB - WD Velociraptor 10K RPM
Optical: DVDRW
Video: Nvidia Quadro FX 1800 _ 768 MB