Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Displaying characters by self-written effect

Displaying characters by self-written effect 3 weeks, 5 days ago #220452

• wberthin
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 3 weeks, 5 days ago
Hello all,

I'd like to display some characters by a self-written effect. To get an idea how this is done I have been searching for the titles.fx or roll.fx source code for quite some time but without success so far. Any hint ?

Re: Displaying characters by self-written effect 3 weeks, 5 days ago #220466

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 3 weeks, 5 days ago
Have you read the documentation on developing Lightowroks effect?

www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=7&id=143678&Itemid=81

Re: Displaying characters by self-written effect 3 weeks, 5 days ago #220479

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 3 weeks, 5 days ago
Those have been developed outside the shader effect framework. They cannot be modified.

Re: Displaying characters by self-written effect 3 weeks, 5 days ago #220481

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 weeks, 5 days ago
If the text is to be programmed in the effect code instead of in the settings menu, a complex workaround could be to place the characters of the desired font in a standardized matrix and save them as a PNG file in the effect folder. In the .fx effect code, this image can be programmed as input texture (without visible effect input).
In the effect code the different characters could then be combined (cropping, position shifts, scaling).

It would probably be simpler if the required words or texts were stored in the image.

I thought about storing digits in a PNG image, which are combined to numbers by the effect. That way, an effect could display the precise RGBA values of selected pixels, or other values of variables.
Mainly automatically translated
--------------------------------------------
Software: Lightworks 2020.1; || Windows 10, 64 Bit
Hardware: Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz); || shared RAM: 8 GB; || Intel HD Graphics 4600 (can use max. 2 GB of shared RAM)
Last Edit: 3 weeks, 5 days ago by schrauber.

Re: Displaying characters by self-written effect 3 weeks, 5 days ago #220483

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 3 weeks, 5 days ago
To write text on cursively requires reasonably complex animation - I know, because I've had to do it. Even if you have access to the raw font data, you cannot just apply an effect over the top and expect the result to be cursive writing.

You can do it by animating your text in Photoshop, but it takes time. You can also do it in After Effects using animated masks, but again, it takes time. In the past I've used both apps to do it. There may now be AI-based effects that can intelligently simulate hand writing with any arbitrary font but at the moment I don't know of any.

If you really have to do it, first pick the font that you wish to use. Then break down the text that you will be working with and individually animate only the letters you need for your title(s). Composite those individual animated letters to make your title, using AE, Fusion, Nuke or whatever is appropriate and/or available.

Blender could certainly be used to do it. It's free, but has a steep learning curve.
Last Edit: 3 weeks, 5 days ago by jwrl.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.30 seconds
Scroll To Top