Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

TOPIC: New multi split screen effects

Re: New multi split screen effects 1 month, 2 weeks ago #220881

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 month, 2 weeks ago
I think the best way of sharing good looking split screen effects would be sharing sequence or project archives with full effect setup, including mask and dummy media.

People could replace the dummy media with their own in the timeline, trim for duration and off they go.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: New multi split screen effects 1 month, 2 weeks ago #220886

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 1 month, 2 weeks ago
I'm not remotely interested in doing that. How on earth could I anticipate every possible combination and number of images and their geometry?.
Last Edit: 1 month, 2 weeks ago by jwrl.

Re: New multi split screen effects 1 month, 2 weeks ago #220887

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 month, 2 weeks ago
Nobody can anticipate every possible combination, but nice setups can be shared this way easily. It's an idea beyond certain effects.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: New multi split screen effects 1 month ago #221426

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 month ago
I have created an effect template for a simple 16x multiscreen. The effect template uses the user effect "Quad split screen, simply" 5 times.

The effect and effect template is designed for very simple requirements (simple checkerboard layout without cropping).

This effect template automatically creates this routing for 16 video tracks:
This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Sequence of screens starting with screen 1 at the top left and ending line by line (like normal text) with screen 16 at the bottom right:

This video shows how easy the template can be applied.
In Lightworks and in the video the routing looks optically different from the screenshot above, because Lightworks optically stacks the track tiles on top of each other. If desired, all tiles can be made visible by moving them.

Installation User effect:
A prerequisite for the effect template is that you have installed the user effect "Quad split screen, simply".
In the event that the effect is changed due to maintenance work on the official download site in the future, a newer version could become incompatible with this effect template.
In this case, you can find the effect version that was used at the time the effect template was created:
This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Download the packed effect template:

For installation of the effect template:
- unzip the effect template
- close Lightworks
- copy the unzipped effect template into the folder in which the user effects are saved. On Windows operating systems this is: C:\Users\Public\Documents\Lightworks\Effect Templates\
- If you get a warning that this filename already exists, cancel the process and report here.
- Otherwise start Lightworks.

The effect template is now installed.
You can find it in the
Category: "DVE",
Subcategory: "Multiscreen Templates"
Template name: "16 Screens, simple"
Mainly automatically translated
--------------------------------------------
Software: Lightworks 2020.1; || Windows 10, 64 Bit
Hardware: Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz); || shared RAM: 8 GB; || Intel HD Graphics 4600 (can use max. 2 GB of shared RAM)
Last Edit: 1 month ago by schrauber.

Re: New multi split screen effects 1 month ago #221427

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 month ago
schrauber wrote:
.. This effect template automatically creates this routing for 16 video tracks ..

If you want to create the routing manually, for example to get a different order of the screens, see this video:

Just to give you an idea of a possible alternate workflow. In this short video I did not connect all screens.

Alternatively, you can use another effect template that will automatically connect only Screen 1 even when normally added to the timeline to easily create manual connections. (here an effect template with black background):

Hardware: Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz); || shared RAM: 8 GB; || Intel HD Graphics 4600 (can use max. 2 GB of shared RAM)

Re: New multi split screen effects 1 month ago #221449

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 month ago
In the templates I had forgotten to set the background color to transparent (alpha 0) in 4 of the 5 effects.
The video shows that with transparency the background color can be set more comfortable. It is also possible to replace the background with an image, video or animated effect.

Last Edit: 1 month ago by schrauber.

Re: New multi split screen effects 1 month ago #221599

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 1 month ago
I posted this a couple of days ago, but forgot about this thread. It isn't a template, but you don't need one with this effect. Click on this video to see one of four images being sized and positioned in under five seconds.

Visual quad split (VisualQuadSplit.fx) is an effect which produces individually sized, cropped and positioned images of up to four sources at a time from the inputs A, B, C and D. Input X (for eXternal) is a background source that can be used to daisy chain other instances of this effect to produce much more than four images on screen. The order of the various parameters in the user interface is the order in which the images are layered, so images will be overlaid with that priority.

The images can be individually cropped to create differing aspect ratios of the source media. To make sizing, cropping and position adjustment simpler for the user, those settings can all be made by dragging pin points on the edit viewer when in VFX mode. The screen grab above shows the pins that reference the A input. This effect has been optimised to use those pins, and can be set up solely using them.

The size and crop pin points will always be in the upper left quadrant for the A channel, the upper right is for the B, the lower left for the C and the lower right for the D channel regardless of the actual position and size of the images. This is a characteristic of the way that the Lightworks effects engine works and cannot be changed. Size adjustment is performed by dragging the selected input's size pin point towards or away from the centre of the screen. Dragging away from the centre enlarges it, and towards the centre reduces it.

If you want more images, simply daisy chain the effect. Let's assume you have nine video layers and you want to use one as a background. Turn off the upper four video layers and apply the effect to V5. Drag the adjustment pins to scale, crop and position your first four video inserts, then turn on the top four layers and apply the effect to V1. Adjust the upper four video inserts by dragging them. That's it. No fiddling with routing, every image is independently adjustable, and doesn't interact with any other. What more could you want?

You can download it here, and installation instructions are available if you need them.
Last Edit: 1 month ago by jwrl.
Time to create page: 0.34 seconds
Scroll To Top