Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Text Render Quality is terribly pixelated

Re: Text Render Quality is terribly pixelated 1 week, 5 days ago #218549

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 week, 5 days ago
"Outline" appears to be interpolated at the outer edges, but not at the inner edges to the base font color.

A workaround could be to blur the text. Perhaps with a sharpening or color correction effect to increase contrast if it would otherwise look too soft.
The standard Blur effect in Lightworks 14.5 is not suitable for this. Some user effects, or the standard Blur effect in Lightworks 2020.1 would be suitable (with very low blur settings).
If you have the "Box Blur" effect on your system, you can probably use it (low GPU load).

To avoid blurring the video, text and video would first have to be routed in parallel paths, and later merged.

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
Mainly automatically translated
--------------------------------------------
Software: Lightworks 2020.1; || Windows 10, 64 Bit
Hardware: Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz); || shared RAM: 8 GB; || Intel HD Graphics 4600 (can use max. 2 GB of shared RAM)
Last Edit: 1 week, 5 days ago by schrauber. Reason: mistranslation

Re: Text Render Quality is terribly pixelated 1 week, 5 days ago #218555

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 1 week, 5 days ago
With a 2% and 10% outline not sure the limiting condition described is a reality here.

BETA System
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64BIT
HP Z800 Workstation

Re: Text Render Quality is terribly pixelated 1 week, 5 days ago #218560

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 week, 5 days ago
I took another closer look.

The pixel interpolation seems to work on the inner edges of Outline as well.

The only difference is that with certain settings the outer edge has an additional softness of even more pixels. Example with 720p.
Magnified area of the attached PNG image, which I created with "Save current frame":

I seem to remember that we have already investigated this before a long time.
Attachments:
  • Attachment This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
  • Attachment This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
Hardware: Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz); || shared RAM: 8 GB; || Intel HD Graphics 4600 (can use max. 2 GB of shared RAM)
Last Edit: 1 week, 5 days ago by schrauber.

Re: Text Render Quality is terribly pixelated 1 week, 5 days ago #218564

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 1 week, 5 days ago
Here are some tests that I did yesterday, but never got round to posting. These are all actual size PNG exports from Lightworks to demonstrate what happens with Lightworks text compositing. I tested at three different sizes, which I then cropped and labelled in Photoshop.

What is of interest to me is the way that the edges are handled when Lightworks internally composites the title, compared to what happens with external compositing, i.e., with a blend or similar effect external to the title effect. It's fairly obvious that the text is generated in a reasonably perfunctory manner, not taking full advantage of the vector form of OTF/TTF fonts. That is then compensated for by antialiassing during the composite. That is a particularly unfortunate way to do it, because you're then at the mercy of the aliasing introduced by the font scaling. The result will get worse as you progressively scale the text up.

Personally, I would create the text that you want in Photoshop, Affinity, or any other external titling tool. As I've said in other threads, in my opinion Lightworks' title tool is rudimentary at best, and not fit for purpose when it comes to finishing.

[EDIT] The grey drop shadow in the top grab is actually transparent. If it was exported in this form as part of a movie that grey shadow would vanish. All examples here had that same default drop shadow.

[EDIT 2] I cannot emphasise enough that the above examples are NOT screen grabs, they are as exported from Lightworks. Screen grabs from Lightworks may look quite different depending on system variations. Here's what I get with a screen grab. Compare that with the images above. To my eye it looks mid way between the second and third ones, and not at all like what it actually is - the first title.

Last Edit: 1 week, 5 days ago by jwrl.

Re: Text Render Quality is terribly pixelated 1 week, 5 days ago #218565

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 1 week, 5 days ago
schrauber wrote:

with certain settings the outer edge has an additional softness of even more pixels. Example with 720p

That's not uncommon with compositing software but unlike LW compositors would generally offer more comprehensive merge manipulation/options as compared with the LW text tool's my-way-or-the-highway approach.

What is being discussed here is a process for smoothing text in a bit-mapped workflow - seems that for text occupying the full height of a 720 frame and jagged edge defeating outline of 5% there is discernible problem, unless one also uses a shadow which then can be noticed as separated from the text outline.

@jwrl - Hmmm my earlier posts here were about different behaviours depending on underlying V track. When I was posting last night did not see those differences and the LW text looked good - but it was late.

Will have a further look and also at Photoshop
BETA System
HP Z800 Workstation

Re: Text Render Quality is terribly pixelated 1 week, 5 days ago #218568

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 1 week, 5 days ago
RWAV, I had to correct my screen grabs above. I added the Photoshop labels this morning, and got the order of the first two wrong. When I subsequently checked while preparing my screen grab version I realised my mistake. They are all now correct. Project settings were 1920x1080 progressive. The screen grab would have looked even more different in an interlaced project.

And you earlier referred to my "once was" post. That post had examples that were all screen grabs, and therefore misleading. That's why it was deleted.
Last Edit: 1 week, 5 days ago by jwrl.

Re: Text Render Quality is terribly pixelated 1 week, 5 days ago #218570

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 1 week, 5 days ago
Approached it from the other end - made a Photoshop 720 sized image.
Placed into it five instances of a text letter
Applied, in turn, all of all 5 available Photoshop Anti-Alias settings to the images.

Imported into LW as an uncompressed .tiff

Added the 6th instance as a LW Text effect
Applied a 2% outline.

Exported in Free as Vimeo 720 setting

This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Made a 3 page .pdf showing the LW viewer at 720 1280 and UltraHD resolutions available in LW Pro

This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
BETA System
HP Z800 Workstation
Last Edit: 1 week, 5 days ago by RWAV.

Re: Text Render Quality is terribly pixelated 1 week, 5 days ago #218576

• timzett
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 week, 5 days ago
I would like to revert my statement made before - at least a bit:
As RWAV lined out above, it depends a lot on the settings at the text effect. And in addition, even without the outline applied, Lightworks does a much better rendering nowadays than in the past.
I just reproduced it, and the result is really satisfying, as long as you don't stretch the letters all over the screen. And even with the latter done, I am not sure how many other applications for this purpose do a significantly better job, because it also depends a lot on the way the font is being designed.

@RWAV: About your last post, am I understanding it right that you are illustrating what can be achieved using Photoshop, and on the other hand with one and the same font, without these modifications, what the "plain" font in Lightworks looks like (significantly worse)?
Lwks x64 2020.1 revision 122068, pro license, on Windows 10

HARDWARE:
.Intel Core i7-4710HQ Quad-core 2,50 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 SDRAM
.GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M with 4 GB RAM
.Sound: Onboard (Realtek)
.Disks: 250 GB SSD internal (OS/programs), 1 TB SATA internal for source footage

CAMs: Sony PXW-X70, NEX-5n, Xiaomi Yi 1080p
Last Edit: 1 week, 4 days ago by timzett.

Re: Text Render Quality is terribly pixelated 1 week, 4 days ago #218589

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 week, 4 days ago
Because of the cross-platform character of the software, I seriously doubt that we will see highly optimized title processing in the near future, maybe as OFX plugin for money with some future release?

For the time being, Boris Graffiti is fine software. It needs some weeks of intense work to get familiar with it, but then the generated titles look truly nice and there are many parameters to adjust to tweak the look to ones personal needs or the needs of customers.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: Text Render Quality is terribly pixelated 1 week, 3 days ago #218699

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 week, 3 days ago
By the way,
if you want to observe the pixels in detail in the preview without PNG export (zoom in strongly), you can use the effect of @jasonrohrer at the end of the routings and deactivate pixel interpolation in the effect settings for diagnostic purposes. Select "Center of the nearest pixel".
The interpolation in the effects before that remains unaffected.

Limitation: The effect was developed for Windows and uses simplified techniques which, according to jwrl, can cause compatibility problems on Mac or Linux.

Re: Text Render Quality is terribly pixelated 1 week, 2 days ago #218714

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 week, 2 days ago
giantelk wrote:
Here's a portion of the video uploaded to YouTube at 720p.

https://youtu.be/MXbRFdJDCaA

giantelk wrote:
I'm currently using "Mongolian Baiti" font.

I tried to tweak Mongolian Baiti to approximate what you show in your first screenshot.

I have some trouble when trying to create the same outline. How did you create the asymmetric outline which gives the impression of 3D with some rotation?

Re: Text Render Quality is terribly pixelated 1 week, 2 days ago #218717

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 week, 2 days ago
I think I got it, at least I'm coming closer. Beside of those colour changes, you didn't only use Outline, but also Shadow with enhanced opacity. Is that what you did?

That's how it looks in 1080p, by the way.

The pictures above are frames saved with Lightworks. 1080p24 and 720p24 exports in h.264/MP4 below.
Attachments:
  • Attachment This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
  • Attachment This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.36 seconds
Scroll To Top