Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Overlay a video, with the same video, to give a sort of ghost effect?

Overlay a video, with the same video, to give a sort of ghost effect? 5 months, 1 week ago #215928

• Random Musings
  • Pro User
  • Junior Boarder
  • 5 months, 1 week ago
Hi all,

I'm trying to add an effect to my video but don't really know how to describe it.... so I can't seem to be able to add it!

Basically I have a video of me spinning in Time Square (cliche I know!).
What I would like to do is have the video start and then a few seconds late have the same video start again, but as a sort of overlay, to give it a sort of ghost effect. Ideally I'd like to do this multiple times using the same video to show a ghost of a ghost of a ghost etc.

Does this make sense?

I'd love to share an example of what I'm referring to... but that's a bit of a catch 22 situation! Sorry
Last Edit: 5 months, 1 week ago by Random Musings.

Re: Overlay a video, with the same video, to give a sort of ghost effect? 5 months, 1 week ago #215929

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 months, 1 week ago
Random Musings wrote:
.. What I would like to do is have the video start and then a few seconds late have the same video start again, but as a sort of overlay, to give it a sort of ghost effect..

For this you need two video tracks to which you add the same video, but offset by several frames. Then you use the blend effect to mix them. Experiment with the effect settings.

Random Musings wrote:
.. Ideally I'd like to do this multiple times using the same video to show a ghost of a ghost of a ghost etc..

For each spirit you need an additional blend effect.
If you want these ghosts all to be time-shifted, you will also need an additional video track for each ghost. Otherwise you can use a DVE effect instead of the additional video track, with which you can move the ghosts spatially, and also mix them (requires a zoom, so that no black bars are visible outside the frame when moving them).
Be sure to pay attention to the effect routing so that all effects and tracks are connected as desired, and correct if necessary.

As an alternative to several blend effects I also have an effect prototype which can mix 5 inputs together.
But it's best to start with only two video tracks and the blend effect. If the result is good, add more.
Mainly automatically translated
--------------------------------------------
Software: Lightworks 2020.1; || Windows 10, 64 Bit
Hardware: Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz); || shared RAM: 8 GB; || Intel HD Graphics 4600 (can use max. 2 GB of shared RAM)
Last Edit: 5 months, 1 week ago by schrauber.

Re: Overlay a video, with the same video, to give a sort of ghost effect? 5 months, 1 week ago #215930

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 months, 1 week ago
Hello,

Something like this looks best with a static background. If the camera is hand held and shaky, it might give the impression of the view of a drunken sailor.

As a starting point I would put the same clip on two video tracks, connect them with the 'Blend' effect and set 'Opacity' to 50%. Then shift one track by a few frames to see how that looks. You can experiment with the shift, speed changes, additional tracks for best looking results.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 5 months, 1 week ago by hugly.

Re: Overlay a video, with the same video, to give a sort of ghost effect? 5 months, 1 week ago #215931

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 months, 1 week ago
Depending on the background, ghosts of the background may also be created. If only people are to be seen as ghosts, then this is undesirable. In this case, information about the background would probably make sense (monochrome green, blue, black, or transparent (alpha).?. Do you already have the video, or can you optimize the background?
Mainly automatically translated
--------------------------------------------
Software: Lightworks 2020.1; || Windows 10, 64 Bit
Hardware: Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz); || shared RAM: 8 GB; || Intel HD Graphics 4600 (can use max. 2 GB of shared RAM)

Re: Overlay a video, with the same video, to give a sort of ghost effect? 5 months, 1 week ago #215967

• Random Musings
  • Pro User
  • Junior Boarder
  • 5 months, 1 week ago
I actually figured it out last night, but thanks all for the help
Last Edit: 5 months, 1 week ago by Random Musings.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.41 seconds
Scroll To Top