Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

TOPIC: orange filter B/W effect

Re: orange filter B/W effect 5 months, 1 week ago #215986

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 months, 1 week ago
Here is a test, which uses minimized thresholds and blur radius
But I could not see any advantage compared to the default settings.

EDIT: Now when switching quickly between the two images,
Greyscale_red filter&Artifacts_blur_1.png and
Greyscale_red filter&Artifacts_blur_2.png
.. I see minimal differences on some very dark leaves of the flowers.
Attachments:
  • Attachment This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
  • Attachment This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
Mainly automatically translated
--------------------------------------------
Software: Lightworks 2020.1; || Windows 10, 64 Bit
Hardware: Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz); || shared RAM: 8 GB; || Intel HD Graphics 4600 (can use max. 2 GB of shared RAM)
Last Edit: 5 months, 1 week ago by schrauber.

Re: orange filter B/W effect 5 months, 1 week ago #216000

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 5 months, 1 week ago
hugly wrote:

I think you can live with that I disagree with your opinion.

Now if only the 2013 photographer had waited until the sun was higher in the sky and across to the left a bit and of course allowing for the inevitable difference between 5x4 or 10x8 film and a digital camera cropped/enlarged to mimic the Adams original - the result could be closer.

Using only a red filter via the Colour Tint tool and the LW Greysale tool

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
BETA System
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64BIT
HP Z800 Workstation
Last Edit: 5 months, 1 week ago by RWAV.

Re: orange filter B/W effect 5 months, 1 week ago #216003

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 5 months, 1 week ago
schrauber wrote:
Here is a test, which uses minimized thresholds and blur radius

AKA sending in a troop of artefacts to conceal other artefacts. Not sure that is always an improvement.
BETA System
HP Z800 Workstation

Re: orange filter B/W effect 5 months, 1 week ago #216009

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 months, 1 week ago
RWAV wrote:
..Using only a red filter via the Colour Tint tool and the LW Greysale tool
www.lwks.com/media/kunena/attachments/6091/1942and2013.jpg

An impressive example.
Hardware: Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz); || shared RAM: 8 GB; || Intel HD Graphics 4600 (can use max. 2 GB of shared RAM)

Re: orange filter B/W effect 5 months, 1 week ago #216010

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 months, 1 week ago
RWAV wrote:
AKA sending in a troop of artefacts to conceal other artefacts. Not sure that is always an improvement.

Thanks for the feedback.

When I change the contrast and gamma on my monitor, I see diagonal banding in the sky. This is 8-bit banding, which became more visible because the blur effect reduces noise.
In this example I added some noise again:

This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Is that better?
Attachments:
  • Attachment This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Re: orange filter B/W effect 5 months, 1 week ago #216014

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 months, 1 week ago
Entering the Ansel Adams contest with an image, downloaded from the internet, apparently highly 'photoshopped', but nice:

Greyscale RGB(100,0,0) and a s-curve on luma with CC afterwards.

Edit: Nowadays, younger people might not associate Anselm Adams with this composition, unfortunately, but might await the next moment seeing Chris Hemsworth flying out of the clouds, dressed as Thor and swinging his hammer..
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 5 months, 1 week ago by hugly.

Re: orange filter B/W effect 5 months, 1 week ago #216021

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 5 months, 1 week ago
Just for the heck of it - here's another red filter example.

In the time of BW chemical photography there were limited image manipulation methods.

Obviously camera filtration was one - then choices were made at time of exposure - 18% grey-scale, highlight pegged or black-point-pegged - within each of those there was an option of a defined stop value of over or under exposure. Film processing was at correct, under or over temperature baths and for correct, shorter or longer times.

After exposure there was printing - whether contact or enlargement - available manipulations were a variations on correct, under or over exposure of the emulsion and then correct, under or over development time as well as correct, under or over temperature baths . One might then add spot manipulations like massaging a section of the developing print to spot-increase the temperature at that position in the picture.

Here we find the simple LW Colour Filter/Greysacle workflow allows for analogues all of the variations we used to magic-up imagery in the darkroom.

That's enough of a history lecture - suffice to say LW does a stellar job in this territory - other than that as per previous paste - depend upon a personal response to the creative value of material to decide what is for each purpose - a great look. It is a creative not technical decision.

Ansel Adams was a major pioneer in the field but is not the end of the story.

Lecture is over.

schrauber thank you for your comments. Will look at your content tomorrow morning.
BETA System
HP Z800 Workstation

Re: orange filter B/W effect 5 months, 1 week ago #216023

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 months, 1 week ago
With over 70.000 self captured and developed black and white images in my personal archives, collected over the last forty years, I've heard about Anselm Adams, as you can imagine.

Cheers.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: orange filter B/W effect 5 months, 1 week ago #216043

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 5 months, 1 week ago
Kalimerox, if you're still following this: I made an error in the version that I posted for you. I typed 85A Red when in fact I meant to type 25A Red. If you wish you can fix that yourself. Open the effect in a text editor (definitely NOT a word processor) search for "85A" and replace it with "25A", then save the effect. Then in Lightworks you should remove the existing effect, and re-import the new one.

I know that I said that I would be posting my final effect in the library, but based on this discussion I can see that there's no real need for it. I had done some further work on it dealing with CMY-RGB colour space handling to better approximate photographic filter characteristics, but those are of academic interest only. The difference that it makes is not important enough to justify posting the effect.

I will shortly be editing this thread to remove the prototype.

[EDIT: Why CMY-RGB you may ask, when we're dealing with a black and white medium? The 25A, K2 and X1 filters are easy enough to simulate with RGB, but I found it very hard to get a really convincing YA3 Orange or X0 Yellow-green characteristic. A simple blend of 25A and K2 to produce YA3 wasn't really convincing, although K2 and X1 to make X0 was close. I hoped that working with CMY might help. It didn't really, if I'm honest.]
Last Edit: 5 months, 1 week ago by jwrl.

Re: orange filter B/W effect 5 months, 1 week ago #216050

• kalimerox
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 months, 1 week ago
@jwrl I am still following briefly and thanks for the hint, I will do that! I m just editing a lot these days and couldnt contribute much to this thread but I m very happy to read and profit from the information. Also good to see there is still a lot of people around with backgrounds in analog processing and lab work. it is something I always liked and still miss it (well, definitely not all parts of it) when working digital.

Re: orange filter B/W effect 5 months, 1 week ago #216083

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 5 months, 1 week ago
Time was when I had my own darkroom. The first processing that I ever did was Ektachrome E3 reversal and printed onto a reversal paper stock processed with the same chemistry. I then fell in love with black and white - I had each of the filters that I attempted to emulate with that effect, plus some NDs, a polarising filter, a UV0 for each lens I had, a couple of 1B skylights, for colour 85A, 85C and 80A filters - you name it.

You can't beat the chemistry.
Last Edit: 5 months, 1 week ago by jwrl.

Re: orange filter B/W effect 5 months ago #216114

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 5 months ago
If anyone's still interested in this, here are a couple of screen grabs produced with the last version of the effect that I was working on. I ended up allowing it to produce a colour output as if the photographer had used one of the filters on colour stock as well as the B & W version first attempted. Having done that, I added an option to replace the luminance of the colour image with the filtered black and white image. What you see are first the original in the top left, a black and white version with a 25A red filter in the top right, the same filter on colour stock in the bottom left, and my composite using original chroma but 25A filtered luminance.

The grab below is the same order of shots using the K2 yellow filter. What's interesting to me is the separation of the clouds from the sky in both examples in the composite colour version. It's almost as if there was a Pola filter on the lens with the image above, while the one below looks a bit like a skylight filter has been used.

The effect as I wrote it also has gamma, gain, brightness and contrast adjustments, but for the sake of the tests I left those on defaults.
Last Edit: 5 months ago by jwrl.

Re: orange filter B/W effect 5 months ago #216117

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 5 months ago
The other three filter settings, in order YA3 orange, X0 yellow-green and X1 green.

Re: orange filter B/W effect 5 months ago #216136

• kalimerox
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 months ago
thanks for these wonderful examples. That is exactly what I was looking for. I thought: It would be great to achieve the bw effect of a camera orange / red filter, but maybe with the possibility to dial some colors in again in the last step...

Re: orange filter B/W effect 5 months ago #216182

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 5 months ago
OK, here's the version of the effect that I used to create that.
Attachments:
  • Attachment This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
Last Edit: 5 months ago by jwrl.
Time to create page: 0.50 seconds
Scroll To Top