Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Complicated DVE Routing with Passthrough Nodes, multiple Screen Splits - Clips not visible

Complicated DVE Routing with Passthrough Nodes, multiple Screen Splits - Clips not visible 5 months, 3 weeks ago #214954

• Q007
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 5 months, 3 weeks ago
Hello everybody

I am new to this forum. And new to Lightworks. I have been working on my first film for the last few days (and a lot of hours ). Also I have read parts of the manual und watched some online tutorials. So I would say I have achieved quite an understanding of the basics.

My goal: I am creating a music video for my band, created in self-isolation. We want to show all six members of the band simultaneously in a flexible split screen setup, which varies over the course of the video. Sometimes all six are visible, sometimes only two or three. So I always have to resize and rearrange the clips.
I have already found out how to use DVE and routing feature for this.

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

My problem: In some parts of the timeline my complicated setup results in situations, where some of the clips are not visible and I am not able to fix this, because there are no empty "bg" connectors available for my invisible clips, where I connect their DVE nodes to, as all connectors are used by passthrough nodes. I hope, it's understandable, what I mean. I know, it sounds complicated, and - at least for me - it is

My strong guess is, that my problem is somehow related to these narrow, blue bars, shown in the timeline. They seem to represent the duration of the DVEs being active or sth like this?

Do you have any ideas, with approach could help me fixing this? Or resources I can look into? I have neither found these topics in the manual nor in the tutials I have looked into.

Thanks alot
Daniel

Re: Complicated DVE Routing with Passthrough Nodes, multiple Screen Splits - Clips not visible 5 months, 3 weeks ago #214959

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 months, 3 weeks ago
Willkommen im Forum,

Q007 wrote:
.. My strong guess is, that my problem is somehow related to these narrow, blue bars, shown in the timeline.

When an effects input receives video from another track, these lines should give you an indication from which track and how long. Whether this helps you in your complicated routing is another question.
Mainly automatically translated
--------------------------------------------
Software: Lightworks 2020.1; || Windows 10, 64 Bit
Hardware: Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz); || shared RAM: 8 GB; || Intel HD Graphics 4600 (can use max. 2 GB of shared RAM)
Last Edit: 5 months, 3 weeks ago by schrauber.

Re: Complicated DVE Routing with Passthrough Nodes, multiple Screen Splits - Clips not visible 5 months, 3 weeks ago #214979

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 months, 3 weeks ago
To be able to fully control such a setup you have to get rid of all overlaps. In other words: For each visible arrangement, all elements must have the same duration. You can do that by setting empty cuts (C-key) on each overlap. This allows you to manually adjust each segment without fighting against the automatic routing. In the case shown above you have to set a lot of empty cuts. Make a copy of your sequence to practice on.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: Complicated DVE Routing with Passthrough Nodes, multiple Screen Splits - Clips not visible 5 months, 3 weeks ago #214999

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 5 months, 3 weeks ago
The problem is entirely due to the routing and in no way due to the blue lines, which are just indicators. You also don't need to make sure that you have got rid of all overlaps. It can simplify things, but it is by no means essential. It is seldom something that I do, and I do a lot of effects work.

In the example that you show, disconnect the output from the Boris DVE to the Jessi klein pass through. Now you should be able to connect Ricky's 3D DVE to the Jessi Gross 3D DVE bg input. Does that take care of your problem?
Last Edit: 5 months, 3 weeks ago by jwrl.

Re: Complicated DVE Routing with Passthrough Nodes, multiple Screen Splits - Clips not visible 5 months, 3 weeks ago #215010

• Q007
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 5 months, 3 weeks ago
Hey guys

Thank you so much for your help! For the moment I have solved my problems: I think my main problem was, that I was not aware, that I am able to change connections from and to pass through nodes. I played around a bit with these and now I have everything visible which needs to be.

I have still not completely understood the concept of the pass through nodes. When are they shown and why? Can you explain that in two sentences or suggest any readings on this?

Thanks in advance, you seem to be a great community!

Re: Complicated DVE Routing with Passthrough Nodes, multiple Screen Splits - Clips not visible 5 months, 3 weeks ago #215012

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 5 months, 3 weeks ago
Pass throughs are used where you have empty tracks between the effect and the video to which it is applied. They are created automatically as needed, but when you're adjusting routing you can bypass them completely without ill effect.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.40 seconds
Scroll To Top