Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Dissolve on Shape Fill?

Dissolve on Shape Fill? 5 months, 4 weeks ago #214528

• Xan27
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 5 months, 4 weeks ago
Hello!

I'm very new to the software (downloaded it yesterday....) and I'm trying to figure out how to add a dissolve to a shape fill that serves as background for a title. The dissolve will fade out the shape, but not fade in. The option "to here" and "from here" don't appear when I add the dissolve to the effect and I can't seem to find a tutorial online that shows me what it is I need to do or if it's even possible to "fade in" the shape fill.

I'm sure this question has been asked in this forum before but I cannot find it through google. Please help?

Re: Dissolve on Shape Fill? 5 months, 4 weeks ago #214572

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 months, 4 weeks ago
Hello,

The easiest way to dissolve from/to whatever effects is using only folded effects left and right of the cut together with inline transitions. That isn't always possible, but it is in most cases.

A screenshot in VFX mode showing your timeline and the Routing panel would help giving a more specific advice.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: Dissolve on Shape Fill? 5 months, 4 weeks ago #214578

• Xan27
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 5 months, 4 weeks ago
I've added screenshots. The title/subtitle offer the chance to fade in/out but the underlying shape stays static. It just appears and then disappears instead of fading in and out along with the text. If I add a dissolve effect to the effects panel, the shape only fades out but not in. And it starts fading as soon as it appears, speed depending on the length of the effect bundle.
Attachments:
  • Attachment This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
  • Attachment This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Re: Dissolve on Shape Fill? 5 months, 4 weeks ago #214581

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 months, 4 weeks ago
Thank you.

Inline dissolves affect the video track they are applied to, not any FX above.

Remove the Dissolve, jump to the end of the effects stack (S-key, A-key) and set an Empty cut (C-key). Drag and drop the effects stack onto the segment on V1. The FX track disappears (if there isn't any other effect on FX) and you'll see three rectangles on the segment indicating the folded effects. Apply the Dissolve From here and you're done.

To change duration you can trim to move the empty cut as needed.
Last Edit: 5 months, 4 weeks ago by hugly.

Re: Dissolve on Shape Fill? 5 months, 4 weeks ago #214586

• Xan27
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 5 months, 4 weeks ago
Either I'm doing it wrong (which is a possibility) or that's not doing what I want.

First, I want the video to fade in. Once it's all there, the shape + text should fade in. After a few seconds, the shape + text should fade out together. The text fades in and out like I want to (as per settings in VFX mode) but the shape only appears and disappears abruptly. By adding them onto the track, this problem isn't solved.

You can see what I mean wrt what it's doing now by watching the first ~15s of this video.

[video removed again for privacy reasons]

(I ran out of time so I had to go with the uglier effect but it's still more advanced than what my colleagues would've done on their own.)
Last Edit: 5 months, 4 weeks ago by Xan27. Reason: video removed for privacy reasons

Re: Dissolve on Shape Fill? 5 months, 4 weeks ago #214589

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 months, 4 weeks ago
Xan27 wrote:
First, I want the video to fade in. Once it's all there, the shape + text should fade in. After a few seconds, the shape + text should fade out together. The text fades in and out like I want to (as per settings in VFX mode) but the shape only appears and disappears abruptly. By adding them onto the track, this problem isn't solved.

That's true, but I find, you should have shared the information on what you want to achieve at the very beginning of the discussion, not at the end.

Edit: One simple way to create what you describe is adding a Blend effect to the effects stack on FX. Then you can fade-in/out with keyframes on 'Fg Opacity' of the Blend.
Last Edit: 5 months, 4 weeks ago by hugly.

Re: Dissolve on Shape Fill? 5 months, 4 weeks ago #214591

• Xan27
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 5 months, 4 weeks ago
Sorry, I thought I *had* said that I want the shape to fade in and out, NOT the whole video.

I'll know to be more precise next time.

I'll play around with the Blend effect next time I work on it. Thank you for your help.

Re: Dissolve on Shape Fill? 5 months, 4 weeks ago #214616

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 5 months, 4 weeks ago
What you want to do is actually quite simple, but like everything else, if you know how! But then the same could be said of brain surgery. Fortunately it's nowhere near as hard as brain surgery though.

First, I'll assume that you're using the so-called "Fixed" user interface, since it's the default. For the sake of this demonstration I have done something similar to what you have, the only difference being that I have used my own effect, Gradient shape. It's very similar to Simple shape, but it allows you to use colour gradients instead of just a flat colour. Also, it's like the version of Simple shape that you get with 2020.1 in that it accepts an input that displays in the area outside the simple shape. Versions earlier than that had two colours, one of which you had to make transparent to see the video behind.

So here's what I started with.

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

That's similar to your configuration. No surprises there, it's pretty much what you have to do to get that result. The next step is to force cuts in your video at either end of the effects. To do that you jump to the start and press the "c" key, then repeat that at the end. If you've done it correctly what you should have is something like this.

The next step is to fold your effects into the main timeline. Right click on the effects, and from the drop down menu that appears, select "Fold".

You should now have a timeline that looks like this. Note the two little coloured squares that appear in the timeline at the start of the effects. That is the way that folded effects are shown in the timeline. Because in this case the title and shape effects were the only things in FX1 that track has been removed. If you have other effects in your effect track that won't happen after you have folded this pair.

From now on it's downhill all the way. Jump to the start of the effect and add your dissolve "From Here". Jump to the end and add it "To Here". This is what you will have.

Problem solved.

There are two things to note. If you are using version 14.5 (or earlier) do yourself a favour. Download the current beta - you'll get a much better simple shape. Second, if you want to try my gradient shape you will find it here, and installation instructions can be found here.
Last Edit: 5 months, 4 weeks ago by jwrl.

Re: Dissolve on Shape Fill? 5 months, 4 weeks ago #214647

• Xan27
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 5 months, 4 weeks ago
Wow, thank you! I'll try that out first thing on Monday when I get back to working on these things.

Re: Dissolve on Shape Fill? 5 months, 4 weeks ago #214657

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 5 months, 4 weeks ago
Glad to be able to help.

Actually I was amazed that I could explain it as well as I did. I never normally use the "Fixed" interface, so I'm not very comfortable with it when I have to. It's a tribute to the designers and developers that it was so quick for me to pick it up.

Also if you're using the current beta build of 2020.1 there is a bug with the colour wheel display. The colour selection circle doesn't track or update correctly. The developers are aware of it.
Last Edit: 5 months, 4 weeks ago by jwrl.

Re: Dissolve on Shape Fill? 5 months ago #216477

• Xan27
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 5 months ago
I finally got around to trying this out (didn't have anything to edit before now) and it worked like a charm. THANK YOU so much for the detailed description with images - that really helped me out!

Re: Dissolve on Shape Fill? 5 months ago #216481

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 5 months ago
Good to hear that you're on top of it. Congratulations.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.35 seconds
Scroll To Top