Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: How to create video thumbnail grid?

How to create video thumbnail grid? 2 weeks, 2 days ago #214368

• asblwks
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 2 weeks, 2 days ago
Hi,

I am trying to accomplish a 5x4 up to 7x6 (colums/rows) grid (respectively a "matrix") with approximately 20-42 video thumbnails (one video only needs the small grid, the next one requires the bigger grid). All thumbnails should have equal width/height, with fixed vertical and horizontal spacing, not necessarily keyframed to keep things simple.

In Adobe Premiere I would approach this with adjustment layers, and Final Cut can mimic adjustment layers easily. Though, in Lightworks I can not find anything which would really help; the closest are the split screen and PIP effects (3x3 grid) which are easy to use, but limited to up to 9 video thumbnails.

Manually scaling and positioning each video with DVEs is a nightmare for this task vor various reasons; most of all, I can't get precise alignments for the video thumbnails, or at least I haven't found a setting for absolute positioning and/or scaling. But maybe I am missing something?

Thanks!

Re: How to create video thumbnail grid? 2 weeks, 2 days ago #214369

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 weeks, 2 days ago
Hello,

DVEs are the tools you have for this in Lightworks. Adjustment layers don't exist. The Lightworks effects engine is basically node based, not layer based.

The task you describe appears to me not so easy to accomplish, in particular in high precision, with whatever software.

Moderated: Forum contravening material removed - jwrl.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 2 weeks, 2 days ago by jwrl.

Re: How to create video thumbnail grid? 2 weeks, 2 days ago #214372

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 2 weeks, 2 days ago
Hugly, you have been warned about coming to the Lightworks forum to promote rival software products before. A link to this thread has been passed on to the people most likely to be concerned about this.

Re: How to create video thumbnail grid? 2 weeks, 2 days ago #214376

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 weeks, 2 days ago
Some time ago I experimented with an effect that has 5 inputs for 5 videos.
In the default settings the 5 small thumbnails are stacked on top of each other and can be zoomed together as a group, but the zoom works differently than in the DVE effect. The keyboard is recommended for position adjustments.

See video:
This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

The video also shows a simple adjustment to 4 thumbnails per column.
(EDIT: Now I see that in the video I set the X-positions for the second column to 25%, which would make sense for 5 columns. However, with only 4 thumbnails per row, and thumbnails in the same aspect ratio as the project and export aspect ratio, 4 columns would probably make sense (33.3 ... % in column 2)

Here is the packed effect prototype:
This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

If you have never installed user effects before, see these installation notes: www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=7&id=188603&Itemid=81#188982

Theoretically, with 6 of these effects you can create a grid of 25 thumbnails (5 x 5 = 25), where one effect is needed to connect the outputs of the 5 effects.
I don't know if 25 video tracks work. At least you should use measures to reduce the system load (proxies, small original media, minimize project format settings ...).
Maybe Prints" can be used to reduce the optical complexity of the timeline? However, "Prints" do not reduce the system load.
Maybe it is necessary to render small groups of thumbnails?
Mainly automatically translated
--------------------------------------------
Software: Lightworks 2020.1 & 14.5; || Windows 10, 64 Bit
Hardware: Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz); || shared RAM: 8 GB; || Intel HD Graphics 4600 (can use max. 2 GB of shared RAM)
Last Edit: 2 weeks, 2 days ago by schrauber.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.29 seconds
Scroll To Top