Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Understanding effects order

Understanding effects order 1 week, 4 days ago #207476

• Yowst
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 week, 4 days ago
Hi,

I am getting more and more the hang of Lightworks. Made mistakes, made successes.
I am trying to use the routing more than the order of effects tracks. Sometimes it's unavoidable because of sometimes needing a text effect over mutliple cuts.

Now, I tried to add an image in a cut to hide something and I thought to by myself:"Let's try and use all effects folded and use the routing more."
Now, I tried to put the image and the blend effect in the video cut and use routing to accomplish what I wanted. Sadly not what I expected to happen:
This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

When I put the blend effect together with the image in the effects track I got what I wanted.
This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Now, I am not saying the routing tool is not a powerful tool to work with but having different fx tracks order does seem to matter. I have seen that in more of my projects too.
I'm curious and I am asking as why this happens? What's the logic behind it?

Also, sometimes when a passthrough is involved I can't use the nodes to connect it. I know it works as intended but when an effect gets in the next cut the routing, which I first avoided the passthrough in the previous cut, then also avoids the effect I want to show up in the next cut. Or is this last question something to ask in another topic like a feature request?
Last Edit: 1 week, 4 days ago by Yowst.

Re: Understanding effects order 1 week, 4 days ago #207477

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 1 week, 4 days ago
Have a look at the routing video tutorial to see if this assists you:

Also this:

Last Edit: 1 week, 4 days ago by briandrys.

Re: Understanding effects order 1 week, 4 days ago #207480

• Yowst
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 week, 4 days ago
I watched both video's not too long ago and they are really helpful.
Yet they don't really answer my question.
I might have to use Lightworks in some different ways as I originally was thinking.
That's not a problem because you can only use a spanner in so many ways until you need a different tool. Or use it the proper way!

It's more that I want to know the logic behind it was doing when I was adding and routing the images to use that logic and prevent the same-kind-of mistakes to make me learn.

Re: Understanding effects order 1 week, 4 days ago #207482

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 week, 4 days ago
With a closer look at the routing panels of your screenshots , you'll see a difference. Do you see it?
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 1 week, 4 days ago by hugly.

Re: Understanding effects order 1 week, 4 days ago #207484

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 week, 4 days ago
This problem occurs especially with effects that have no input. Such effects are not folded by the automatic. As you have noticed, the track order is also important if the image effect appears in an FX track.

It's different if an effect that doesn't have its own input is connected to an effect that has two inputs in a routing. Image Key effect is such an effect template. Routing both effects together has an open input that can connect to other tracks or effects. Such templates can simply be used as folded effects.

You can also create such a routing yourself with the Image effect, and another effect that has two inputs.

Method 1:
Create the routing with the Image Effect & Effect with two inputs, first in one FX track. When the routing is done and has an unused input, you can fold it into a video track and save it as a template.

Metode 2, no automatic:
Insert the two effects directly into the routing panel by dragging them with the mouse from the + tab to the routing tab. There these effects are inactive for the time being. Now you have to connect the effects. Decide the order, because the effect appears in the track where you create the first connection (or your connection with an effect that is already assigned to a track).
See Video:
This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
Mainly automatically translated
--------------------------------------------
Software: Lightworks 14.6 Beta & 14.5; || Windows 10, 64 Bit
Hardware: Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz); || shared RAM: 8 GB; || Intel HD Graphics 4600 (can use max. 2 GB of shared RAM)

Re: Understanding effects order 1 week, 4 days ago #207485

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 week, 4 days ago
Yowst wrote:
Or is this last question something to ask in another topic like a feature request?

In the next Lightworks version (or in the current beta), the Image effect has its own input, so it can be folded directly into video tracks.

There are other matte effects without an input for which the described workflows might be important.
Mainly automatically translated
--------------------------------------------
Software: Lightworks 14.6 Beta & 14.5; || Windows 10, 64 Bit
Hardware: Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz); || shared RAM: 8 GB; || Intel HD Graphics 4600 (can use max. 2 GB of shared RAM)

Re: Understanding effects order 1 week, 4 days ago #207486

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 week, 4 days ago
In short words: The problem is that the output node sticks to the Image effect even if the Blend is connected upstream, which is a bug.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: Understanding effects order 1 week, 3 days ago #207524

• Yowst
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 week, 3 days ago
schrauber wrote:

Metode 2, no automatic:
Insert the two effects directly into the routing panel by dragging them with the mouse from the + tab to the routing tab. There these effects are inactive for the time being. Now you have to connect the effects. Decide the order, because the effect appears in the track where you create the first connection (or your connection with an effect that is already assigned to a track).

This is the method I thought I was using but instead of dragging and dropping them in the routing panel directly I dropped it in the timeline.
I needed to drop them in the correct place to have the desired effect.

Thanks!
Last Edit: 1 week, 3 days ago by Yowst.

Re: Understanding effects order 1 week, 2 days ago #207556

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 1 week, 2 days ago
It is not super mysterious - analogous with when working with all 'unfolded' VFX - 'interacting' FX are best on the same VFX track.

In the current quandary both folded or both unfolded work equally well.

This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
BETA System
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64BIT
HP Z800 Workstation
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.32 seconds
Scroll To Top